Anwar El Ghazi

Villan4Life

First half he was really poor, giving the ball away constantly. Second half a different player completely.

It's that catch 22 with him. On the balance of his play, he isnt good enough to be starting premier league games, but then he goes and wins the 3 points!? Very close to having 2 goals too if he'd kept the first half one a touch lower.

9 minutes ago, turvontour said:

First half he was really poor, giving the ball away constantly. Second half a different player completely.

It's that catch 22 with him. On the balance of his play, he isnt good enough to be starting premier league games, but then he goes and wins the 3 points!? Very close to having 2 goals too if he'd kept the first half one a touch lower.

You can say the same about better players in fairness, Salah is the biggest example. If he doesnt score he is quite useless for Liverpool

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

You can say the same about better players in fairness, Salah is the biggest example. If he doesnt score he is quite useless for Liverpool

That's fair. But when AEG is bad hes very bad. I think his first 4 out of 5 involvements with the ball tonight were being dispossessed or turning the ball over. I was pondering exactly this question while it was happening. Does him scoring a goal today offset the poor all round play?

2 minutes ago, turvontour said:

That's fair. But when AEG is bad hes very bad. I think his first 4 out of 5 involvements with the ball tonight were being dispossessed or turning the ball over. I was pondering exactly this question while it was happening. Does him scoring a goal today offset the poor all round play?

I dunno but his goals have won us 13 points this season, tonight, Leeds, West Brom away, Chelsea and Wolves 

• Like 2

If Dean is to have options next year we will need players like El Ghazi on the bench. Currently averaging .57 goals per 90. That's an amazing return for a winger. Ollie averages .37 per 90 as our main striker. 

He's not as good as Ollie at creating and getting to chances, but he can rival anyone in the team when it comes to taking the chances / being cool and find the goal.

Anwar certainly has big weaknesses, but on days like this it's just difficult not to love him.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dave-R said:

It's not just about goals though as there is much to a players game. Sure it's nice but those other players people keep comparing Ghazi on stats to are often making themselves available on field creating, delivering, crossing which is all accurate or precise and then there's all the off ball work and more.

I'm not going to be blinded by just goals there are more to players games than just goals and assists.

He has done that as well. I Would keep him 

1 hour ago, Taxahunter said:

He has done that as well. I Would keep him 

Indeed it is almost as if he got 5 assists last season. 1 fewer than grealish. He created our 4th most big chances behind grealish, Hourihane and Targett.

But no he doesn't help in the build up play or create chances.

Needs replacing in terms of how often he plays. He scores now and then, but it doesn't change the fact that his overall play isn't PL quality. Squad player for cups etc, fine. But that's it. Another Hourihane.

9 hours ago, Zatman said:

No Aston Villa midfielder or winger has scored 9 league goals or more since 2008 when Young did it, he just needs one more goal in the next 5 games to equal it

Adomah :P

(But I know what you mean)

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Dave-R said:

It's not just about goals though as there is much to a players game. Sure it's nice but those other players people keep comparing Ghazi on stats to are often making themselves available on field creating, delivering, crossing which is all accurate or precise and then there's all the off ball work and more.

I'm not going to be blinded by just goals there are more to players games than just goals and assists.

Yes, it's not even about goals and assists.  He's a player who can deliver that but for much of the time, he's running into defenders or allowing attacks to break down in other ways.  Quiet for large periods of most games. 

I would rather a winger who scores a couple less goals but who is a pain in the arse for defenders, relentlessly running down the wings, taking players on and going round them. 

What we are talking about is the whole demeanour of the team, how it affects our general attacking play all round. 

As I said in the match thread I am totally sick of all these posts about El Ghazi haters, negative naysayers etc.

Why are people not allowed a middle ground in this?  It's always WHERE ARE THE HATERS NOW? 

It's perfectly OK to not be so keen on a player without hating him. To question a players worth to the team without giving him dogs abuse. 

I'm delighted for him and happy he's adding to his goal tally and hopefully his price tag. 

Our wingers are generally an issue.  We will need better if we are to progress.  One way to do this would be to sell Elghazi and/or Trezeguet and use those funds plus a few more million to buy another winger who can score those 7 - 8 goals, get a few assists AND terrorise defenders helping us to pour forward from all areas of the pitch. 

But he's also shown he can be a decent squad player.  I'm torn about which one but him or Trez need upgrading, and next year we'll be having the same discussions about Traore if we want to step up again. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, sidcow said:

Yes, it's not even about goals and assists.  He's a player who can deliver that but for much of the time, he's running into defenders or allowing attacks to break down in other ways.  Quiet for large periods of most games. 

I would rather a winger who scores a couple less goals but who is a pain in the arse for defenders, relentlessly running down the wings, taking players on and going round them. 

What we are talking about is the whole demeanour of the team, how it affects our general attacking play all round. 

As I said in the match thread I am totally sick of all these posts about El Ghazi haters, negative naysayers etc.

Why are people not allowed a middle ground in this?  It's always WHERE ARE THE HATERS NOW? 

It's perfectly OK to not be so keen on a player without hating him. To question a players worth to the team without giving him dogs abuse. 

I'm delighted for him and happy he's adding to his goal tally and hopefully his price tag. 

Our wingers are generally an issue.  We will need better if we are to progress.  One way to do this would be to sell Elghazi and/or Trezeguet and use those funds plus a few more million to buy another winger who can score those 7 - 8 goals, get a few assists AND terrorise defenders helping us to pour forward from all areas of the pitch. 

But he's also shown he can be a decent squad player.  I'm torn about which one but him or Trez need upgrading, and next year we'll be having the same discussions about Traore if we want to step up again. 

I need not say any more I think you've covered it perfectly Sidcow.

Great post.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â