Anwar El Ghazi

Villan4Life

On 12/04/2021 at 00:43, MotoMkali said:

What am I missing? 

People keep slagging him off, yet I don't understand what you expect him to do. He never gets any support out wide. When he holds the ball up out left there are never any options (when Jack or watkins does it targett or El ghazi are always an option they need to return the favour). How many times is he left with no option but to try and beat 4 or 5 men.

Against Liverpool he had the ball in a decent position but 3 defenders closed him down because watkins was in the middle of the box and targett was staying back and none of our midfielders came to help. What is he supposed to do in this situation. 

I'm a big Anwar fan, but he's been poor of late.

He never should have been dropped when he was scoring goals and on a good run of games and form.

He needs game time and confidence to build up form, he's not an impact player.

• Like 1

On 13/04/2021 at 16:19, OLDVILLAIN said:

I would prefer for smith to play bidace on the wing or push matty cash up further and play elmo in defence...I hope AEG is sold in the window

From what I've seen of Bidace, it's too soon for that - he's not ready. 

On 13/04/2021 at 14:06, VillanousOne said:

I'm a big Anwar fan, but he's been poor of late.

He never should have been dropped when he was scoring goals and on a good run of games and form.

He needs game time and confidence to build up form, he's not an impact player.

Genuinely interested to know what you like about AEG? I think he has always been pretty poor. Even when he was on his hot streak, he was generally poor in my view but that was misted over because he was scoring. I really think that he unbalances the side when he plays.

He seems like a really good guy and I will always be grateful for Wembley but I just don’t see any real pluses! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, M_Afro said:

Genuinely interested to know what you like about AEG? I think he has always been pretty poor. Even when he was on his hot streak, he was generally poor in my view but that was misted over because he was scoring. I really think that he unbalances the side when he plays.

He seems like a really good guy and I will always be grateful for Wembley but I just don’t see any real pluses! 

He is frustratingly inconsistent but he is capable of taking players on and getting into the box, he also shoots on sight which though frustrating at times is something that hardly any other player other Grealish or Watkins do. He has the skills just not the application. The time he was scoring on his streak was some of the best football we played this season (aside from the Pool win).

I like Traore aswell but he is just as bad as Anwar in terms of erratic inconsistency, but because he is still relatively new he gets 'slightly' less flak.

Unless Dean suddenly changes shape and tactics Anwar will get a run in the side, I hope he does well, it's probably his last chance to prove his worth before a decision is made to sell him in the summer.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

He is frustratingly inconsistent but he is capable of taking players on and getting into the box, he also shoots on sight which though frustrating at times is something that hardly any other player other Grealish or Watkins do. He has the skills just not the application. The time he was scoring on his streak was some of the best football we played this season (aside from the Pool win).

I like Traore aswell but he is just as bad as Anwar in terms of erratic inconsistency, but because he is still relatively new he gets 'slightly' less flak.

Unless Dean suddenly changes shape and tactics Anwar will get a run in the side, I hope he does well, it's probably his last chance to prove his worth before a decision is made to sell him in the summer.

Thanks for the response. It’s interesting to hear differing views on players. I agree with much of what you say to be fair. I hope he proves me wrong but I just don’t see it. I’m much more hopeful of Berty becoming a more consistent performer though. 

• Like 1

He can be good. He can be bad. 

He's nowhere near the calamity that people here paint him as. Even in recent performance, it's clear his defensive work has improved and he does a couple of good things in each games, crosses. Quick 1-2s etc. Traore has bigger moments of brilliance but is also a passenger out of possession! 

• Like 1

I don't think we should let a goalscoring run over Christmas paper the cracks here. He isn't very good. He wasn't a star in the championship and he hasn't been impressive in the PL. 

Very often players who run hot and cold will lead to debates on whether they are good enough. But in my experience more often than not, they aren't good enough. Consistency in your performances is pretty much essential for any athlete. 

You could say the same for Trez I guess, but for me the difference is that Trez really works hard on the pitch. AEG much like Traore tends to stroll back when we're countered. And when your attacking ability is kind of meh and you aren't a hardworker... well it's easy to start looking at alternatives.

Then again every time I talk shite about him, he tends to score. So time to get him into your FPL side for City. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Thanks 1

It’s been a while since i no longer want to see a player play for us. I feel that way about AEG.  

Watching him is infuriating. How easily he gets dispossessed, shoots from anywhere, crap flicks that more often than not give the ball back to the opponent.  Jogs about with no really intensity or purpose. Doesn’t really press with speed. it all seems half hearted. 

I mean respect to him for his goals this season, the Leeds one in particular. So he wasn’t completely useless. 

But I hope he is replaced in the summer. 

• Like 1

He has all of the tricks and could be great.  On the odd occasion he is good he is reminiscent of Ronaldo with he stepovers etc. but this is few and far between.  He has never been up for a fight which you have to be in the PL.

He scored a couple and got some praise but then thought he should shoot at every opportunity.  He became so predictable that the defenders knew what he was going to do before he did.  Equally, Ollie and Targett will have stopped making the runs because it is futile if AEG never gets his head up.

Has to go for me!  I would hope we could get a bit of value for him as well.  He might flourish in a less physical league.

Edited by barry'sboots

6 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

It’s been a while since i no longer want to see a player play for us. I feel that way about AEG.  

Watching him is infuriating. How easily he gets dispossessed, shoots from anywhere, crap flicks that more often than not give the ball back to the opponent.  Jogs about with no really intensity or purpose. Doesn’t really press with speed. it all seems half hearted. 

I mean respect to him for his goals this season, the Leeds one in particular. So he wasn’t completely useless. 

But I hope he is replaced in the summer. 

To be fair I reckon Ghazi for me off more than Barkley at times is a player I no longer would like to play for Villa. It's nothing personal as I don't know him but the bloke plays for a premier Club, our club Villa. He frustrates me so much because here and there he goes on a three or four goal run and then it's totally flat like a shook up bottle of pop. Again he's at the top and I've seen his ability at times. let's be fair many a times Ghazi is as bad as Barkley, both give in way to easy. You can't do that or should even dream of doing that at the level that at prem level where the cream of the crop play. Sure it's easy said than done but these footballers need to evolve all the time and adapt to the league's changes. You start slippin and it's not just you that you drag down its your whole team you could potentially be bringing down as well.

I don't want to get on the guys case to much, yet I do feel there are many players in this league fighting at the lower end of the table with the spirit we need, I would gladly swap Ghazi for one of them any day.

I'd also like to bring Trezegeut into the mix. That lad Trez knows he's far from the most technically gifted player in the team of the league, yet the spirit, fight, heart he shows I'd gladly have 11 players with the courage he shows. You know full well the work rate Trezegeut puts in and results would follow. Sure he's another that doesn't grab goals all the time but he puts his body on the line for us and its cost him the season. I wish Ghazi would throw himself at the ball, he would probably come away with more goals. He's had many chances in front of goal (last season especially) and could of threw his body at the ball and just let the ball float on by.

Ghazi just fails to impress 90% of the time, can't be having that at the level were trying to reach. You take Ghazi into Europe then we simply won't reach far. For the good of the club and Ghazi he needs a move else where to a club where he's comfortable all while Villa can keep reach new heights. We simply won't be able to go any higher with some of the players we have, business is business and the team must try get in Europe now. Around 6 to 8 players just can't cut it now in the league as it is because they are not at the level we want to be at, it will only get tougher for them if you manage to add Europe and more games to football life along with our league games.

Summer sale will see some move on, I hope and Ghazi I will thank for his time at Villa and wish him the best if he's moved on.

10 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Sometimes maybe good. Sometimes maybe shit, but nearly always soft as a tub of spunk.

Get rid.

2 new wingers in the summer please.

beer drinking GIF by lilcozynostril

On 15/04/2021 at 08:39, KenjiOgiwara said:

I don't think we should let a goalscoring run over Christmas paper the cracks here. He isn't very good. He wasn't a star in the championship and he hasn't been impressive in the PL. 

Very often players who run hot and cold will lead to debates on whether they are good enough. But in my experience more often than not, they aren't good enough. Consistency in your performances is pretty much essential for any athlete. 

You could say the same for Trez I guess, but for me the difference is that Trez really works hard on the pitch. AEG much like Traore tends to stroll back when we're countered. And when your attacking ability is kind of meh and you aren't a hardworker... well it's easy to start looking at alternatives.

Then again every time I talk shite about him, he tends to score. So time to get him into your FPL side for City. 

That is simply not true...

13 hours ago, Dave-R said:

To be fair I reckon Ghazi for me off more than Barkley at times is a player I no longer would like to play for Villa. It's nothing personal as I don't know him but the bloke plays for a premier Club, our club Villa. He frustrates me so much because here and there he goes on a three or four goal run and then it's totally flat like a shook up bottle of pop. Again he's at the top and I've seen his ability at times. let's be fair many a times Ghazi is as bad as Barkley, both give in way to easy. You can't do that or should even dream of doing that at the level that at prem level where the cream of the crop play. Sure it's easy said than done but these footballers need to evolve all the time and adapt to the league's changes. You start slippin and it's not just you that you drag down its your whole team you could potentially be bringing down as well.

I don't want to get on the guys case to much, yet I do feel there are many players in this league fighting at the lower end of the table with the spirit we need, I would gladly swap Ghazi for one of them any day.

I'd also like to bring Trezegeut into the mix. That lad Trez knows he's far from the most technically gifted player in the team of the league, yet the spirit, fight, heart he shows I'd gladly have 11 players with the courage he shows. You know full well the work rate Trezegeut puts in and results would follow. Sure he's another that doesn't grab goals all the time but he puts his body on the line for us and its cost him the season. I wish Ghazi would throw himself at the ball, he would probably come away with more goals. He's had many chances in front of goal (last season especially) and could of threw his body at the ball and just let the ball float on by.

Ghazi just fails to impress 90% of the time, can't be having that at the level were trying to reach. You take Ghazi into Europe then we simply won't reach far. For the good of the club and Ghazi he needs a move else where to a club where he's comfortable all while Villa can keep reach new heights. We simply won't be able to go any higher with some of the players we have, business is business and the team must try get in Europe now. Around 6 to 8 players just can't cut it now in the league as it is because they are not at the level we want to be at, it will only get tougher for them if you manage to add Europe and more games to football life along with our league games.

Summer sale will see some move on, I hope and Ghazi I will thank for his time at Villa and wish him the best if he's moved on.

We would go down with the lowest amount of point any premier league club has been relegated with. I simply can't understand why people keeps bringing up the spirit, fight, and heart when its clearly not enough and he's clearly not good enough to play for us at this level

27 minutes ago, Taxahunter said:

We would go down with the lowest amount of point any premier league club has been relegated with. I simply can't understand why people keeps bringing up the spirit, fight, and heart when its clearly not enough and he's clearly not good enough to play for us at this level

Give me 11 Alan Huttons anyday than this current team 😂

• Confused 1

59 minutes ago, Taxahunter said:

Sure you do. 

Like you do know a lot of players have the technical abiltiy, but they lack the work rate, application, mental strength or spirit, fight and heart as you put it. These players are often even worse for us than those who have it, but lack the general ability. Like Trez vs. AEG or Ramsey vs Barkley. 

Ideally we need to find the gems who have ability and the stuff Trez has in buckets, but that's more difficult. And it's also a care where fans tend to value blood sweat, tears, heart, spirit and fight, more than being capable of doing a good stepover. 

Being a good footballer is very much about the things you talk down here, along with the consistency to deliver on it every match. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Thanks 1

Â