Anwar El Ghazi

Villan4Life

Doc Holliday in Tombstone, would best descirbe El Ghazi's goal.

What was it Doc?......"Its a Daisy"

Edited by TRO

4 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Yes I agree maybe for another season having Ghazi as a back up maybe best. Unfortunately with the words of our Owners saying we won't stack players and have massive depth we may need to sell a winger. No way is grealish going to be sold, no way Traore will as he's our most recent, no way Trezegeut will by summer because he's still injured most likely so the only one I can see us shifting is Ghazi.

If the three musketeers decide they want a new Winger, I only see one option and that's to sell Ghazi. And if delboy and Rodders decide they want to pour alot of money in the club then great if we can reall spend on a flashy Winger who can do what Grealish does but in a complete different way, his own way.

No one should be sold just yet. They should stay as back up while we get in some upgrades. Id sell Trezeguet before i sell Anwar. But not this summer of course. Get a high quality winger like Leon Bailey and move Grealish back to AM. Essentially we will only have 4 wingers so no we’re not gonna “stack players up” if thats what you’re worried about. 

3 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

Really? I thought you were El Ghazi's biggest fan?

For what we need soon and where we want to go we will need better than Ghazi. For now Ghazi is more than enough but next season we simply need better.

I would still take Ghazi signature in my book or his shirt if he gave it me and wear and show them off with pride. I'm a fan of all our player while they are at Villa, but I do understand the need to upgrade and in my mind I have my own players who need to be upgraded while you may have your own.

1 minute ago, Dave-R said:

It's not bitter or petty that's just your brain seeing it that way, have you not be taking in what people are saying why he should be sold and why, it sounds like you have not if all your saying is it's pretty bitter and Petty.

There's none of that involved, it's just the need to upgrade on our weaker players, can you not see the business and which way the club want to move, it's up. If you keep your weaker players and collect them then you will only move down.

that's just your brain seeing him as one of our weaker players, I don't agree.

what is your opinion on the rest of the squad then, presume you would sell McGinn and Luiz then who have been two of our 'weaker' players this season?

El Ghazi stats don't lie, he has actually been one of our better players this season, even if he is frustratingly inconsistent.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shay said:

No one should be sold just yet. They should stay as back up while we get in some upgrades. Id sell Trezeguet before i sell Anwar. But not this summer of course. Get a high quality winger like Leon Bailey and move Grealish back to AM. Essentially we will only have 4 wingers so no we’re not gonna “stack players up” if thats what you’re worried about. 

I would love Bailey at the club, he would be one of my top targets.

Unless I'm mistaken we don't play with wingers. The 433 451 system we play adopts 2 inside forwards to support Ollie. Hence why they play inverted and with their stronger foot inside. They aren't byline huggers like natural wingers who play strong foot outside. Both Anwar and Bertie are predominantly forwards which is why they're pretty shit in our half. Please correct me if I'm wrong though. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I don’t get his inconsistency. How he can be so bad in some games that it’s like playing with 10 men. Same with Traore. How does this happen?

With El Ghazi he is a confidence player, he needs a run in the team to build that up, he is also better when Grealish plays (but isn't everyone). I would certainly agree he doesn't yet have the character and physical attributes that he needs at this level, but in only his second season in the Prem he has shown some glimpses of improvement.

I agree we need more traditional and better wingers, but to me the way we play Dean wants the assists/crosses to come from the wing backs more than the wingers. Ghazi and Traore play more like forwards than wingers.

Re Traore, he has huge talent but needs a hell of a lot of work and coaching to find consistency, hopefully he will improve next season. I personally would like him to move more centrally, but I am prob alone on that one.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, VillanousOne said:

what is your opinion on the rest of the squad then, presume you would sell McGinn and Luiz then who have been two of our 'weaker' players this season?

El Ghazi stats don't lie, he has actually been one of our better players this season, even if he is frustratingly inconsistent.

Yes of course it's me seeing him as our one of our weaker players, that's why he has had a massive part of the season missing. There are reasons as to why he's not featured a great deal and it isn't because he was doing great, if he were he would of featured every game or near it. There's also a big reason why Smith gave up on him towards end of last season and dropped him, he goes in a few runs a time then goes missing for triple or quadruple the games. Do I want to see him like that? no, do I want to see him improve? Yes, will he? No and we need to buy someone younger or bring someone up younger who's got lots of time to go past what Ghazi can deliver because the goals are not enough if we want to go to Europe.

2 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Unless I'm mistaken we don't play with wingers. The 433 451 system we play adopts 2 inside forwards to support Ollie. Hence why they play inverted and with their stronger foot inside. They aren't byline huggers like natural wingers who play strong foot outside. Both Anwar and Bertie are predominantly forwards which is why they're pretty shit in our half. Please correct me if I'm wrong though. 

beat me to it!

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I don’t get his inconsistency. How he can be so bad in some games that it’s like playing with 10 men. Same with Traore. How does this happen?

Wingers are flair players that will dribble and take players on, they’re bound to get dispossessed or misplace a pass/cross a lot more than other outfield players. If you go to a Manchester United forum, they’re saying the same about Rashford, their top scoring winger. Its mindblowing really. But nothing new. We should be happy that we are seeing end products from our wingers. It means they’re contributing to the team with their play.   

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

Well, I would put Mcginn on the bench and use him next season but upgrade on him we must.

Luiz, again I would put him on the bench, sell Nakamba and upgrade on Luiz.

As Shay has suggested I would at most keep Ghazi for another season at most, certainly buy an upgrade and agree with Shay that having him as a sub maybe the best option unless we go out and buy two new wingers.

Eventually though the upgrades for the upgrades do come.

For all we know we could go and buy Tammy, put Grealish back center, use Watkins left and buy another Winger that can be used on both wings.

There are lots of options the chiefs could go for in the summer.

Edited by Dave-R

7 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Yes of course it's me seeing him as our one of our weaker players, that's why he has had a massive part of the season missing. There are reasons as to why he's not featured a great deal and it isn't because he was doing great, if he were he would of featured every game or near it. There's also a big reason why Smith gave up on him towards end of last season and dropped him, he goes in a few runs a time then goes missing for triple or quadruple the games. Do I want to see him like that? no, do I want to see him improve? Yes, will he? No and we need to buy someone younger or bring someone up younger who's got lots of time to go past what Ghazi can deliver because the goals are not enough if we want to go to Europe.

He dropped him because he couldn't do the defensive part well, Trez for full credit offers a lot defensively and was almost playing as a wing back more than a winger and we stopped shipping so many goals. But I would argue this season we have been better defensively that we don't need Trez to do that role, even Traore tracks back fairly well, so the template works.

I think El Ghazi tracks back a lot better now and covers more ground, he certainly isn't lazy.

the bit in bold, will he improve 'no one knows' unless you have a time machine

Edited by VillanousOne

3 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

He dropped him because he couldn't do the defensive part well, Trez for full credit offers a lot defensively and was almost playing as a wing back more than a winger and we stopped shipping so many goals. But I would argue this season we have been better defensively that we don't need Trez to do that role, even Traore tracks back fairly well, so the template works.

I think El Ghazi tracks back a lot better now and covers more ground, he certainly isn't lazy.

the bit in bold, will he improve 'no one knows' unless you have a time machine

Ghazi has been here since the championship and his gameplay is still the same, he certainly doesn't look like he's improved a great deal. That is why I used Target as an example, he's been here a season or so less and he's improved and showing signs of continuing to improve. Now no you are right there is no guarantee he is or isn't going to improve but you have to look at his time here and he's still the 5 to 8 goal a season winger he's always been and it seems he will continue to be that without all the other bits to his game he should have.

We just have to kick on and if the chiefs see that Ghazi needs to be upgraded in the summe or the summer after we then have to accept that it were the right decision just as it would be the right decision if they decide to keep him at Villa longer.

43 minutes ago, thunderball said:

I take it you’re Canadian because he is Dutch?

Your logic escapes me. Anwar's ancestry is Moroccan.  I don't know, but I would be willing to bet his first language (mother tongue) was Arabic.

While all this does not matter in the great scheme of things. My point was that some people will be rooting for Anwar simply because of his Arabic/north African heritage.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

With El Ghazi he is a confidence player, he needs a run in the team to build that up, he is also better when Grealish plays (but isn't everyone). I would certainly agree he doesn't yet have the character and physical attributes that he needs at this level, but in only his second season in the Prem he has shown some glimpses of improvement.

I agree we need more traditional and better wingers, but to me the way we play Dean wants the assists/crosses to come from the wing backs more than the wingers. Ghazi and Traore play more like forwards than wingers.

Re Traore, he has huge talent but needs a hell of a lot of work and coaching to find consistency, hopefully he will improve next season. I personally would like him to move more centrally, but I am prob alone on that one.

I think Ghazi works best in a team that is pure dominant like we were last night against Everton. He works best in our team when we have most possession. However the moment he has tons of work to do that's when Ghazi breaks apart, even loses interest at times

Traore I'm not sure on the central part, although he does like to cut through from the flanks he could possibly do that from a central position and cut out to the flanks. You can see it in his game where Traore just loves and thrives off sending his opponent the wrong way, did alot of that against Everton. When were playing flank to flank ball, Traore works excellent. I would not be down for not trying him there and see how he goes.

I just want us to find better for the wings in terms of crossing, delivery, passing and driving the ball from the flank fast and low into the box. Alot last night we seem to from both flank do the usual which is hit the first defender. If the ball did manage to be sent further then that it was to far, it's become an all to familiar scene with our Wingers.

I'm in two minds. He took his goal brilliantly and has contributed this season. All three wingers have done their bit in a much improved season. We do need an upgrade in certain positions but the three of them are all 25 and could still improve. 

2 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

I was overly harsh in criticising his performance last night, as i forgot he was probably fasting. 

Don’t think it should ever be an excuse. If he wasn’t in peak condition to play due to fasting then he shouldn’t be playing.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

Â