Anwar El Ghazi

Villan4Life

10 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I don't think anyone's denying he picks up niggly injuries, it's the insinuation that he's faking them that is objectionable. 

The only explanation is that he doesn't want to be a footballer.

Take the Man Utd game, for example, he assisted Grealish for our goal in the 11th minute. But he thought "Forget this, I don't want to be part of a Villa team that beats Man Utd at Old Trafford! I'm getting myself subbed in the 18th minute!"

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I don't think anyone's denying he picks up niggly injuries, it's the insinuation that he's faking them that is objectionable. 

True but I think most are saying other players would play through the minor stuff. Not saying that applies to Saturday though, he clearly got clocked by a flailing arm.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I was responding to a post where someone questioned exactly that.

I’m definitely not suggesting he fakes injuries, but that he overreacts to minor knocks that most players continue playing with.

There’s a lot of very sarcastic stuff in this thread about how a player can’t possibly be guilty of this because we have medical staff deciding whether he’s fit to stay on the pitch. The medical staff are dependent on what the player tells them, and cannot do the necessary tests on the pitch to confirm anything!

I sympathise with El Ghazi. He just wants to play football and not be booted around. But realistically we are in a league where some teams deliberately set out to hurt players, especially players who are perceived to be soft or key players.

His injury record can be spun as him recovering very quickly from injury but I think it’s much more likely that he simply has a lower threshold for what he considers an “injury”. His record isn’t typical btw - compare with other players in our squad and their records don’t look like this - usually they have fewer, longer injuries.

I’m really not someone who mouths off about our own players very often, but there is something in this criticism, and being dismissive towards people who raise it is not the right way to debate it.

Characterising it all as old school, unevidenced, armchair hard man nonsense is missing the fact that there is plenty of evidence for it, and his own teammates seem to view him as a player who milks an injury.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, AJ said:

Such was the concern of the physios, they quickly consulted Anwar's doctor, his psychologist, and his parole officer, and they all considered that the best course of action was to remove him before he caused any harm.

If SMith had the foresight to have a psycologist on the bench they could have performed edmr on anwar and he'd have forgotten about the incident. and played on with aplomb.

I just hope he's hired Eileen Drewery to get McGinn fit for Sunday

18 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I was responding to a post where someone questioned exactly that.

I’m definitely not suggesting he fakes injuries, but that he overreacts to minor knocks that most players continue playing with.

There’s a lot of very sarcastic stuff in this thread about how a player can’t possibly be guilty of this because we have medical staff deciding whether he’s fit to stay on the pitch. The medical staff are dependent on what the player tells them, and cannot do the necessary tests on the pitch to confirm anything!

I sympathise with El Ghazi. He just wants to play football and not be booted around. But realistically we are in a league where some teams deliberately set out to hurt players, especially players who are perceived to be soft or key players.

His injury record can be spun as him recovering very quickly from injury but I think it’s much more likely that he simply has a lower threshold for what he considers an “injury”. His record isn’t typical btw - compare with other players in our squad and their records don’t look like this - usually they have fewer, longer injuries.

I’m really not someone who mouths off about our own players very often, but there is something in this criticism, and being dismissive towards people who raise it is not the right way to debate it.

Characterising it all as old school, unevidenced, armchair hard man nonsense is missing the fact that there is plenty of evidence for it, and his own teammates seem to view him as a player who milks an injury.

Yeah I'm not down with the condescension, but as you say his injury record can be spun any way really. I personally don't like drawing conclusions of players and especially of their character. It doesn't seem like the coaching staff have an issue with him, like you said he usually comes back straight into the team after his injuries. I'd imagine he would have been dropped at some point if he was bottling games. That could also have something to do with how bad Trezeguet is though :lol:

Edited by Keyblade
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

Here's a few:

• March 2019: Arm injury vs. Forest (someone trod on his arm), subbed off, starts the game 3 days later vs Middlesbrough
  • September 2019: "Knock" vs Burnley at home, subbed off, starts the next game 7 dats later vs Norwich
  • December 2019: Knee injury vs. Man Utd, subbed off, misses the midweek game, plays 7 days later against Leicester
  • February 2019: TBC

And if you look at his Transfermarkt injury history (which is out of date and incomplete) he has a lot of very short-term injuries: https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/anwar-el-ghazi/verletzungen/spieler/183720

Now I can completely understand the argument that AEG has done a lot of good stuff at Villa, and we should back our own player.

But the idea that his propensity to pick up lots of small injuries is just an invention (or indeed an "embarrassment") is condescending bullshit.

Haha what? Professional athlete in sometimes gets injured shock. 

You and a few embarrassing others are claiming that these aren't real injuries and they are keeping him out because he is soft and chooses to miss games. 

Amazingly he does this and yet the manager keeps kicking him. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Yeah I'm not down with the condescension, but as you say his injury record can be spun any way really. I personally don't like drawing conclusions of players and especially of their character. It doesn't seem like the coaching staff have an issue with him, like you said he usually comes back straight into the team after his injuries. I'd imagine he would have been dropped at some point if he was bottling games. That could also have something to do with how bad Trezeguet is though :lol:

Exactly. 

In the examples given he returns the next game. Why the hell would Smith pick him if he was being soft and choosing to come off when others would carry on playing? 

It's just a crazy conspiracy theory to have a dig. 

3 hours ago, sparrow1988 said:

Exactly and especially with the possibility of head injury and the sensitivity around that topic. They're not obliged to tell us anything. 

I feel like I’m missing something. What does this even mean?

It’s hardly like he’ll be in a similar situation to Schumacher after his accident and the family are wanting privacy.

If he was concussed/blinded/paralysed I see no possible way that saying “he has x injury” would cause any issues because of ‘sensitivities’.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I feel like I’m missing something. What does this even mean?

It’s hardly like he’ll be in a similar situation to Schumacher after his accident and the family are wanting privacy.

If he was concussed/blinded/paralysed I see no possible way that saying “he has x injury” would cause any issues because of ‘sensitivities’.

It was a thing with a few rugby players in Ireland a couple of years back. One didn't want injury reports getting out because it might affect future contracts. Another the IRFU just wouldn't give updates on the injury even though he missed the best part of a year. We don't know anything about the injury or lack thereof. 

Also the club not being obliged to tell us anything is pretty self explanatory. Obviously it would be great to know everything but we're not entitled to this info.

I agree with the above, it was pisspoor behaviour from Grealish and Mings.

Although I think this is more a consequence of both of them being too young / inexperienced for the responsibilities they’ve been given. They’ll learn.

Last season we had players like Whelan keeping those egos in check, and calming situations down. His reaction to Jack getting punched was a good example.

As much as I know they were well off being able to start (or even appear off the bench) in the PL, I still wonder if Hutton, Whelan and Jedinak would have been useful to have around this season.

4 hours ago, KentVillan said:

, I still wonder if Hutton, Whelan and Jedinak would have been useful to have around this season.

You've got retired, league one after not cutting it in the SPL and hasn't found any club willing to take him yet. I don't think you need to wonder. 

• Like 1

Â