Anwar El Ghazi

Villan4Life

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

Exactly. People are making out it’s a weird VT conspiracy theory (some of whom haven’t even seen the **** incident).

It was obvious on the day that his teammates and manager were sceptical.

I am also a fan of AEG as a player, especially when he’s on form, and he was doing some good stuff going forwards against Southampton. But I can’t believe there’s any controversy about the suggestion that he’s a bit soft - it’s a very obvious feature of his game that he avoids committing to tackles and aerial duels. Contrast with someone like McGinn, Nakamba or Guilbert. How is this a debate?

How many wingers do you know that love a tackle?

2 hours ago, Tom13 said:

How many wingers do you know that love a tackle?

Jack and Trez are more proactive than AEG in trying to get the ball back.

AEG is a fine player when we have a decent amount of possession. There's a reason why Smith has often brought Trez in for the tougher fixtures, despite Trez being a far more limited footballer.

You're right, though - wingers are often guilty of being soft. It doesn't mean they can't be criticised for it. It's not like AEG is so unbelievably skilful that he can get away with not contributing defensively (perhaps he was that good at Championship level, but not at this level).

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Whether he was hurt or not, rolling back into the pitch was the right thing to do.  I don't understand how taking a corner quicker with 10 men would be preferable to waiting a bit but having an extra man.  

Exactly, our players don't realise when we have a corner its actually more likely that we will concede on the counter than score from it. Its happened a number of times this season.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Exactly, our players don't realise when we have a corner its actually more likely that we will concede on the counter than score from it. Its happened a number of times this season.

Or, maybe the players felt that playing on with only 10 men wouldn't make a difference has been as it was El Ghazi off the pitch? 

1 hour ago, Villarocker said:

Or, maybe the players felt that playing on with only 10 men wouldn't make a difference has been as it was El Ghazi off the pitch? 

Still, there's no reason to go at someone for thinking it would. Its still a disadvantage after all, as minor as it may be.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Villarocker said:

Odd thing to say about someone who has 6 goals and 4 assists this season.  

Edited by Thug
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Thug said:

Odd thing to say about someone who has 6 goals and 4 assists this season.  

Not really. Both Mings and Grealish, our two main leaders on the pitch, were clearly not happy with El Ghazi. It wasn't about his previous performances but what he was doing at that time. 

I think that Mings and Jack, primarily wanted to get the free kick taken and given that Anwar was within inches of the line, and needed treatment, they just wanted to get on with it.

I accept that Anwar does seem to have a particularly low pain threshold and I'm sure the team and officials, are as aware of this as we are. We may find come the weekend this has all blown over and that given we're not spoilt for choice, as far as wingers are concerned, he will start after all. He also has fond memories of Wembley and will be up for a big game like this, who wouldn't be up for playing in a cup final after all? One off his shoulder again perhaps? 😉

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Villarocker said:

Not really. Both Mings and Grealish, our two main leaders on the pitch, were clearly not happy with El Ghazi. It wasn't about his previous performances but what he was doing at that time. 

They weren't because they were keen to get on with the corner while we had a bit of momentum.  Maybe he was also not acting in the spirit of the game. But really all he was trying to do was make sure he got treatment on the pitch so we weren't down to 10 men for too long. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Junxs said:

It happened in the same game too...

I think there’s more to it than it being an isolated incident, considering the Mings / El Ghazi bust up earlier this season (forget which game it was).

I worry there’s an underlying issue which if true, would not be good from any angle really, we have to be a cohesive unit to have a chance of staying up, in-fighting will not help at all.

Â