Anwar El Ghazi

Villan4Life

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Huh? Him being included in the squad and performing well (admittedly) doesn't change my view of him going off with a ruptured eyelash against Southampton.

You took the opinions/criticisms so defensively you thought it meant we all now hated El Ghazi and thought he was tripe.

Those views are not mutually exclusive. I even pointed out in the pre match thread that the thinking would probably be that turns up in big games, and when he is actually up for it he can be great.

Truth is none of us know for certain what the circumstances are/were, whether Deano and squad were, or were not upset at him at the time etc.

What we do know, is that we probably had/have no better alternative than him in his position anyway, and the gravity of the game would outweigh the other minor issues. (If they exist)

People claimed he faked an injury to get out of a game 20 mins in. People thought it was obvious. 

Yet the manager of Aston Villa picks him to start a cup final the next game. 

No manager would pick a player who faked an injury to get out of a game. It would be ridiculous. 

The fact he started shows that your opinion and those accusing him of faking and wanting to just get out were completely wrong. 

Amazingly some are still trying to stick to their claims. 

Edited by DCJonah
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If El Ghazi went off cos he bottled it then he wouldn't have played in the final. Simple. Smith was reeling after last week so he wouldn't have rewarded him with a starting spot. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, omariqy said:

If El Ghazi went off cos he bottled it then he wouldn't have played in the final. Simple. Smith was reeling after last week so he wouldn't have rewarded him with a starting spot. 

Exactly. 

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

They certainly don't and I would never ask them to. 

The apology should be towards the player they claimed faked an injury to get out of a game after 20 minutes 

Turning up unscathed yesterday kind of supports the idea that he wasn't injured, surely? You seem to take it as a sign that he is a brilliant fighter. Each to their own.

Smith has started him because once you play Jack centrally you're left with El Ghazi, Trez and Jota (and Elmo of course) as your wing options...

Edited by KentVillan
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Turning up unscathed yesterday kind of supports the idea that he wasn't injured, surely? You seem to take it as a sign that he is a brilliant fighter. Each to their own.

Smith has started him because once you play Jack centrally you're left with El Ghazi, Trez and Jota as your wing options...

Haha. 

The fact you believe he faked an injury and Smith played him in a cup final because of no other options is so laughable. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

People claimed he faked an injury to get out of a game 20 mins in. People thought it was obvious. 

I genuinely haven't seen anyone claim he "faked" an injury.

I have seen them point out that whatever it was that happened to him did not seem serious enough for him to be as dramatic as he was acting or going off.

The game wasn't going our, or his way and he just didn't fancy it on the day - I.E soft, bottled it, exaggerated it, lacked the desire/fight, not FAKED it.

Question: How many of our other players could you picture going off for the same incident?

Could you picture Jack, John, Mings, Engels, Hause, Guibert, Samatta, Nakamba, or even Connor Hourihane coming off over that incident?

If Wesley went off over that incident would you feel the same way? lol

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, DCJonah said:

Haha. 

The fact you believe he faked an injury and Smith played him in a cup final because of no other options is so laughable. 

We've already gone through the "faking" point, it's a straw man.

The argument throughout the thread has been that he goes off too easily (which I still believe). I've no doubt he was genuinely hurt. My point is it doesn't seem to have been anything serious at all, and most players would have been able to stay on the pitch. His teammates clearly feel the same way.

Try to be a bit less histrionic, it's possible for people to have a different read of the situation to you.

• Like 2

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I genuinely haven't seen anyone claim he "faked" an injury.

I have seen them point out that whatever it was that happened to him did not seem serious enough for him to be as dramatic as he was acting or going off.

The game wasn't going our, or his way and he just didn't fancy it on the day - I.E soft, bottled it, exaggerated it, lacked the desire/fight, not FAKED it.

Question: How many of our other players could you picture going off for the same incident?

Could you picture Jack, John, Mings, Engels, Hause, Guibert, Samatta, Nakambe, or even Connor Hourihane coming off over that incident?

Haha what's the difference? 

You're claiming he could have played on and chose to get off the pitch. 

Why would Smith pick him if he is someone who does that? He wouldn't. It is ridiculous to suggest he would. 

Just now, KentVillan said:

We've already gone through the "faking" point, it's a straw man.

The argument throughout the thread has been that he goes off too easily (which I still believe). I've no doubt he was genuinely hurt. My point is it doesn't seem to have been anything serious at all, and most players would have been able to stay on the pitch. His teammates clearly feel the same way.

Try to be a bit less histrionic, it's possible for people to have a different read of the situation to you.

Haha yes it clear. 

And the manager picked him to start the cup final the very next day. That's clear. 

Just now, DCJonah said:

Haha what's the difference? 

You're claiming he could have played on and chose to get off the pitch. 

Why would Smith pick him if he is someone who does that? He wouldn't. It is ridiculous to suggest he would. 

As I asked in my amended version of that post, If Wesley went off over the same incident, would your view be the same?

12 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

As I asked in my amended version of that post, If Wesley went off over the same incident, would your view be the same?

100%

Especially if he started the next game. It would be crazy to believe that I can see he's soft and wanted out the game and assume the manager and coaching staff either couldn't see that or actually didn't care.

It would be utter nonsense like some of the posts on here. 

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

100%

Especially if he started the next game. It would be crazy to believe that I can see he's soft and wanted out the game and assume the manager and coaching staff either couldn't see that or actually didn't care.

It would be utter nonsense like some of the posts on here. 

Fair play, but I still disagree as per my prior posts.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Fair play, but I still disagree as per my prior posts.

Do you really think Smith would start a guy if he did that though? Do you think the rest of the team would accept it? Do you think Terry would accept it?

It would be a crazy decision by Smith. An utterly weak managerial decision. I have seen nothing to suggest he would do something like that.

4 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Do you really think Smith would start a guy if he did that though? Do you think the rest of the team would accept it? Do you think Terry would accept it?

It would be a crazy decision by Smith. An utterly weak managerial decision. I have seen nothing to suggest he would do something like that.

When Targett was accused of the same by the fan base, I defended him ferociously. (Which at the time was unpopular opinion).

Funnily enough, after that incident, Matt came back stronger.

So again, it comes down to how we individually see the game, and our individual perception of certain player characters, and incidents.

There is not necessarily any one RIGHT answer IMO, as we simply don't know. (How do we know words were not exchanged behind the scenes and a mutual understanding come to by all?)

Anyway I think this is something we can move past now.

Can we please not spend another week debating was he injured, wasn't he injured? It's boring. He went off. Be it by advice of the staff or his own choice.

Maybe he decided that he couldn't continue because he felt he couldn't perform to the best of his ability due to an issue (whatever that issue may have been) he felt at the time. I would prefer that he went off if there was even a possibility of injury. It's better than look at me hardmen who play on and then go on to hamper the team's chances becuase they're not fully able to perform. Maybe the medical staff noticed something and made the call. All that's happening on here from both sides of the he's soft/he was injured argument is pure speculation. 

We don't know who made the call or what the full story was.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

A mediocre player for us unfortunately. Still I have no doubts that if he went to an Everton or Southampton he would do a lot better. One of many that don't perform very often for us but seem capable of more.

1 minute ago, AVFCDAN said:

A mediocre player for us unfortunately. Still I have no doubts that if he went to an Everton or Southampton he would do a lot better. One of many that don't perform very often for us but seem capable of more.

We have plenty of players who do worse than he does for us.

41 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

I'm sure AEG will always be frustrating to a certain extent, he is a dangerous winger though, and Trezeguet will never half his talent.

I completely agree with this. I just worry the lack of competition for places on the wing has allowed him to pick and choose his moments. I feel like he’s managing his own career rather than “being a good teammate”.

At the end of the season, he’ll be one of our better goal / assist contributors (possibly second overall) but that will disguise an awful lot of very poor games. A bit like Hourihane last season.

His moments of class are probably enough to justify his inclusion in any Championship team, but at this level he just isn’t good enough to get away with not throwing his heart and soul into every game. I hope now the cup final is out of the way, the players will be 100% focused on survival, and hopefully we’ll see some good stuff from AEG. On his day, he’s a very good player.

Anyway, I loved what I saw from Anwar. He was up against arguably one of the best right backs in the league, and did well for himself. Left wing really suits him. He seemed so much more comfortable. 

Only problem is Jack also seems more comfortable there. Do we continue with Jack at CAM? I mean it worked in the championship, or do we keep playing El Ghazi at right wing where he definitely isn't as effective? 

Â