John McGinn

PompeyVillan

McGinns evolution into a captain for the club is going to be interesting this year. I might not agree with the appointment but he has been one of my favourite players coming up from the championship, but also been one of the players I get most frustrated with over the last couple seasons.

I know his ceiling is higher than what he's shown, he needs to do it more consistently and take more responsibility for his performances on the pitch. That doesn't actually sound too dissimilar to Grealish before he got the armband, I'd love a similar meteoric rise from McGinn.

Interesting to see how he embodies the role over the next few months

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CgWpXqLDieF/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

• Like 1

I, like many people, am concerned that McGinn seems to be undroppable even when his performances are mediocre.

But let me bring up an old thought: McGinn looked good at the start of the last two seasons, but faded after New Year's, probably from overuse/fatigue. The question in my mind is: if it happens again, is SG going to think even more highly of McGinn after a good start, making him even more undroppable? Or having seen a fresh McGinn and a fatigued McGinn up close, is he going to notice the difference and realize that he needs to be rotated?

That's something I'll be watching for mid-season.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TomC said:

I, like many people, am concerned that McGinn seems to be undroppable even when his performances are mediocre.

But let me bring up an old thought: McGinn looked good at the start of the last two seasons, but faded after New Year's, probably from overuse/fatigue. The question in my mind is: if it happens again, is SG going to think even more highly of McGinn after a good start, making him even more undroppable? Or having seen a fresh McGinn and a fatigued McGinn up close, is he going to notice the difference and realize that he needs to be rotated?

That's something I'll be watching for mid-season.

The World Cup break should do him in good in that regard. 

• Like 1

Please be good John… if the captaincy brings his game on then we’ll all be delighted.

Hopefully he improves and can focus on his strengths with a proper DM in the side.

Would love to see the McGinn of old, chasing and harassing the opposition from the front. Nicking the ball in dangerous positions…

Hopefully he’ll rotate with JJ and that will keep them fresh and in form…

Edited by Jas10
  • Thanks 3

It's hard to not love the man, it's obvious he loves Villa and he genuinely is proud.

However i'll admit, if we don't get the " Super " John McGinn performances more often than the dire ones, the Captaincy could prove to kind of be a clanger.

" The Manager can be a bit scary when he wants something done...so " 😂

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Haha 1

Decent interview but for the love of god can we get an interviewer that doesn't sound like he's put himself on death's door from having to listen to his own boring drone for too many years? 

Jesus Christ, talk about a voice with all the charisma and excitement of a salted slug. Knowing what a messer John is, I half expected him to rip the piss out of the lad mid-interview.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, est1874 said:

Decent interview but for the love of god can we get an interviewer that doesn't sound like he's put himself on death's door from having to listen to his own boring drone for too many years? 

Jesus Christ, talk about a voice with all the charisma and excitement of a salted slug. Knowing what a messer John is, I half expected him to rip the piss out of the lad mid-interview.

I had to turn it off as i was in danger of ending it all 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Gerrard has really stuck his neck out here for him, it's very strange.

He has to start him first two or three games. You can't make someone captain then not play them...can you?

I thought what Gerrard had to say in the presser about making McGinn captain was also good and especially this bit which addresses a lot of the conversation on Villa Talk.

Gerrard

It doesn’t mean he’s guaranteed to be a starter in this team, I’ve made that really clear to John, I need that consistency to stay and I need him to really push this team.

https://www.avfc.co.uk/news/2022/august/05/the-presser--gerrard-previews-afc-bournemouth/

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, villaslash said:

I thought what Gerrard had to say in the presser about making McGinn captain was also good and especially this bit which addresses a lot of the conversation on Villa Talk.

Gerrard

It doesn’t mean he’s guaranteed to be a starter in this team, I’ve made that really clear to John, I need that consistency to stay and I need him to really push this team.

https://www.avfc.co.uk/news/2022/august/05/the-presser--gerrard-previews-afc-bournemouth/

He’s said it a few times but nobody believes him.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He’s said it a few times but nobody believes him.

it does seem strange to make him captain then say he is not guaranteed to start, i think it's just to give him a much needed kick in the ass, we know Steve will not drop him or Coutinho, they are nailed on to start every game as long as they are not injured or suspended.

Â