John McGinn

PompeyVillan

4 hours ago, lexicon said:

The more I've been ruminating on this, the more I get why he's made him captain. McGinn's a player that can definitely slack off if he thinks he can get away with it IMO - which leads to these inconsistent performances and times where he coasts and the game passes him by somewhat. The added responsibility, I believe, is to make him take things more seriously all of the time. We all know what he was like in his first season and desperate to impress. We know what he can produce when he's feeling it. Maybe he needs this to take the next step up in his career and establish himself as a good premier league CM instead of a player who lacks the consistency to start for a big team.

That's the hope, anyway.  

I saw a great interview with Ron Saunders once. In it explained how he thought that all players were different in their personalities amd needed managing differently. Some needed a hug, Brian Little for example and some a kick up the backside.  He said that if he hadn’t given Tony Morley a bollocking by 10 o’clock Tony thought he’d fell out with him. 

I hope that you’re right and SJM is the type of player who would relish and react well to more responsibility. It could even be that privately Tyrone is more comfortable without the responsibility. SJM is also Scotland captain in appears to respond well to that. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I saw a great interview with Ron Saunders once. In it explained how he thought that all players were different in their personalities amd needed managing differently. Some needed a hug, Brian Little for example and some a kick up the backside.  He said that if he hadn’t given Tony Morley a bollocking by 10 o’clock Tony thought he’d fell out with him. 

I hope that you’re right and SJM is the type of player who would relish and react well to more responsibility. It could even be that privately Tyrone is more comfortable without the responsibility. SJM is also Scotland captain in appears to respond well to that. 

He's Vice-captain, Robertson is Captain.

I do wonder if Gerrard sees some of himself in McGinn and that a player in the midfield can read the game better.

Hoping this will work out well, I like McGinn and I am very critical of him at times yet it is likely due to his position why he was struggling.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tom13 said:

No, the issue is that even at his best, he shouldn't be starting.

Incorrect.

At his best, he's absolutely in the team.

Don't think we've seen that best more than two or three times since May 2020 though.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Can't find the post now, but someone said this could stop him from coasting, which he is wont to do.

I think his ankle injury has changed him as a player, and I don't know what his ceiling is.

Looking forward to seeing if it elevates him.

13 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Incorrect.

At his best, he's absolutely in the team.

Don't think we've seen that best more than two or three times since May 2020 though.

Not for a possession based side.

2 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Not for a possession based side.

Don't think we'll ever get a chance to see tbh. I think he's done at the level we saw during promotion and early PL first season. Whether the injury has restricted him or he couldn't/wouldn't rehab it properly.

Hopefully we do see and he exceeds all expectation. Gerrard gets huge credit from me if this inspires him.

4 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Can't find the post now, but someone said this could stop him from coasting, which he is wont to do.

I think his ankle injury has changed him as a player, and I don't know what his ceiling is.

Looking forward to seeing if it elevates him.

I hope so too, in fact Gerrard also mentioned this in his interview yesterday.

• Like 1

First 2 or 3 games when Gerrard joined McGinn was outstanding. Not trying to push momentum too much. Playing within hinself. And getting into attacking positions. Soon as Nak got injured that was all over. He was being relied upon to progress the ball from deeper positions. And the football got poorer and poorer. 

2 things. Play him on the left of a 3 so we can utilise his superb crossing from the left .  when he plays on the right he is continually trying to open up defences with a through ball. That should be Coutinhos or Emis job. 

Also on the right he has to check back alot. Lets defences get back into position.  Let him rampage down the left instead and cause chaos. Because he can and he will. 

Gerrard has made problems for himself if he thinks firstly mcginn should start secondly he should be skipper he's more clueless than I imagined and he will be out of a job by end of october imo.

His favourites which mcginn clearly is won't save him.

Edited by villan501
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Missing in the 1st half and messy in the 2nd. I want to be positive about him but he is starting to grate on me at how telegraphed and poor his passing is. 

Pretty much his form for the past couple of seasons and yet gets rewarded with being the captain 

On 29/07/2022 at 15:14, lexicon said:

The more I've been ruminating on this, the more I get why he's made him captain. McGinn's a player that can definitely slack off if he thinks he can get away with it IMO - which leads to these inconsistent performances and times where he coasts and the game passes him by somewhat. The added responsibility, I believe, is to make him take things more seriously all of the time. We all know what he was like in his first season and desperate to impress. We know what he can produce when he's feeling it. Maybe he needs this to take the next step up in his career and establish himself as a good premier league CM instead of a player who lacks the consistency to start for a big team.

That's the hope, anyway.  

So the flaw I've found with this idea is that Gerrard has painted himself into a corner here, hedging his bets.

If McGinn plays like he did against Rennes and as he has many other times, then Gerrard looks a bit stupid if he drops the player he made captain.

So if it doesn't work out, we have to suffer the time that a stubborn, self-confident person will take to change their mind. 

• Like 1

Comically lost the ball a couple of times, one nearly led to a goal.

Watching McGinn failing to control or pass a football properly, when we have some sublime passers like Carlos, Coutinho, Kamara etc around him, just makes it all the more painful to watch.

• Like 1

Cons:
Bad short Passer
Always tries risky difficult passes rather than keep it simple and the ball ticking
Loses the ball a lot
Seems to of lost his on the pitch energy
Doesn't score many 
Speaks Scottish so no one can understand him

Pros:
He's got good banter
Scores Worldies in training 
Seems a nice guy
Looks good on MOTD

• Like 4

10 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Comically lost the ball a couple of times, one nearly led to a goal.

Watching McGinn failing to control or pass a football properly, when we have some sublime passers like Carlos, Coutinho, Kamara etc around him, just makes it all the more painful to watch.

Yeah I saw that too.

I'm really hoping his change in position and the security of Kamara will improve McGinn and Villa's midfield.

Â