John McGinn

PompeyVillan

Nobody In this thread has mentioned how Mcginn was clearly at fault for United's opener and it was a mistake he makes week in week out. 

Not being defensively aware, Bruno is behind him he has no clue and instead gets sucked into trying to make the tackle, he fails and the overload on our left forms and Cashy has no chance vs 3 and no help comes. 

He will never be good enough defensively. Doesn't anticipate, Has zero peripheral vision of the game. Makes no sense to play him in our system. 

I'll never understand it. 

5 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Comparing the Athletic to the absolute nonsense you read on VT is a no contest.

Take your post for example, citing a player who has played no competitive games for Villa or in the Premier League as better than him. A player everyone knows you've never seen play a competitive game or at best a YouTube highlights or a CL game. But here you are, vociferous that he is better than him.

VT is 99% full of complete nonsense. 

What a strange and quite arrogant comment but unsurprising

I suppose Ollie Watkins and Keinan Davis are better than Lewandowski/Benzema since they never played in the Premier League and as play in one of them foreign leagues nobody can have seen them play

I like McGinn but I am concerned this guarantees even more game time as you generally have your Captain in the majority of games.

He may be a strong player but I don’t think he fits in our strongest team formation right now. 

• Like 1

I like McGinn, and if/when he does leave us, I would feel a bit disappointed. 

As long as he is at Villa, I will continue to support him. When he is on tune, I am happy. When he is off form, I just want him to improve.

I wanted Ty to keep the armband, and Emi M would have been a sound vice captain. I won't begrudge SG or John for the decision that has been made. FTR John McGinn would have been my third choice.

Compared to previous seasons, especially having Micah Richards as captain, we seem to be quite flush with leaders on the pitch now. I would think some of our current players would be better than Grealish as captain.

This could go either three ways. It does diddly. It has a negative effect, and all the doomsayers are proven right, or it could be a masterstroke, in which it reignites form and passion within two of our most senior players. I am going to be an optimist, and hoping that it is a masterstroke.

Anyway, this is just a pixel, making up a small part of the big picture. If Villa are winning, I couldn't care less who wears the arm garter.

• Like 2

The more I've been ruminating on this, the more I get why he's made him captain. McGinn's a player that can definitely slack off if he thinks he can get away with it IMO - which leads to these inconsistent performances and times where he coasts and the game passes him by somewhat. The added responsibility, I believe, is to make him take things more seriously all of the time. We all know what he was like in his first season and desperate to impress. We know what he can produce when he's feeling it. Maybe he needs this to take the next step up in his career and establish himself as a good premier league CM instead of a player who lacks the consistency to start for a big team.

That's the hope, anyway.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I can appreciate the view that people don't want him starting games due to ball retention blah blah blah.

But at HIS BEST?  He should absolutely start.

But at his best, the ball retention issue would still be there.

Â