John McGinn

PompeyVillan

4 hours ago, MaVilla said:

he's not good enough to play further up field for us, who out of Coutinho, Buendia & Bailey would he replace?, he's not technically better than any of them.

He;s also not good enough in the defensive midfield, so wont replace any of them.

He's a good low possession, fast paced type of player who runs around a lot and gets on the end of some balls, basically exactly what we dont need.

I love the Meatball but he'll be an anvil around the neck of Villa as long as he's keeping better players out of the starting 11.

I hope it works but I doubt it will and when we're sputtering around 14th place in late October the season will already be lost.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Come on mate, An opinion isn’t the truth.  He is good enough, he just needs to improve on certain areas of his game. 

He’s not someone we’ve just signed from the Scottish premiership anymore. He’s had 3 full seasons of premier league football. 

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Come on mate, An opinion isn’t the truth.  He is good enough, he just needs to improve on certain areas of his game. 

I think what a lot of us saying/thinking is that he is good enough to be a role player in the squad, but not good enough to consistently be picked in the starting XI every week. This is the cause of frustration 

If I look at yesterday's starting XI, McGinn is easily the first name on the team sheet I would be looking to upgrade.  

• Like 1

Yesterday, that ball was superb into Watkins, and with a better header, it's either forcing the GK into a save or a goal. A couple minutes beforehand, he cheaply gave the ball away which directly led to one of their best chances in the game. It's this frustrating inconsistency from high to low that irks me. 

• Like 2

In my opinion, some of these comments are unfair on McGinn, I think it has been forgotten that we only paid £3m for him, I think if the worst happens and if we were to sell him, we’d get a lot more than £3m for him. Not that I’d want us to sell him, he set the standard for us initially in The Championship, it was funny watching Jack Grealish and McGinn in that league, that goal against Sheffield Wednesday was outstanding. In our first season back in The Premier League, he was outstanding but I think his performance levels dropped off a bit last season, it is understandable, players can’t produce 8 or 9 out of 10 performances every week, it is nigh on impossible 

25 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

A couple minutes beforehand, he cheaply gave the ball away which directly led to one of their best chances in the game. It's this frustrating inconsistency from high to low that irks me. 

This is the issue. Its not giving the ball away that gets me annoyed. Its giving it away cheaply. When we can see he is far better than that. Seems to get some kind of brain fog.   Brilliant ball into Watkins before as well. 

3 hours ago, Villaphan04 said:

I think what a lot of us saying/thinking is that he is good enough to be a role player in the squad, but not good enough to consistently be picked in the starting XI every week. This is the cause of frustration 

If I look at yesterday's starting XI, McGinn is easily the first name on the team sheet I would be looking to upgrade.  

I get that but if he was dropped for a run of games or even injured. Fans will soon turn on his replacement and hope he comes back. 

3 hours ago, AV82 said:

Imagine this guy coming off the bench to absolutely butt **** tired opponents. I want to see it once. Please.

This is where I do think he'd be useful. I would much rather see McGinn used sparingly than played in every single match.

We know the manager likes McGinn, but we also know he likes Luiz and Ramsey. 

JJ will be breathing down his neck and so whilst he'll obviously start the season and get a fair bit of slack, I dint think it's right to say he's guaranteed his place and Gerrard has said as much. 

6 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

In my opinion, some of these comments are unfair on McGinn, I think it has been forgotten that we only paid £3m for him, I think if the worst happens and if we were to sell him, we’d get a lot more than £3m for him. Not that I’d want us to sell him, he set the standard for us initially in The Championship, it was funny watching Jack Grealish and McGinn in that league, that goal against Sheffield Wednesday was outstanding. In our first season back in The Premier League, he was outstanding but I think his performance levels dropped off a bit last season, it is understandable, players can’t produce 8 or 9 out of 10 performances every week, it is nigh on impossible 

Nope not true on many takes

Just because he cost 3 million its ok that he plays poorly?

His first 10 games in Premier League he was good. He has played about 120 games since and mainly been poor

8 hours ago, Zatman said:

Nope not true on many takes

Just because he cost 3 million its ok that he plays poorly?

His first 10 games in Premier League he was good. He has played about 120 games since and mainly been poor

We must have different expectations of players then. He was outstanding for those first 10 games and I don’t think he has been poor in 120 games since. My point was that he only cost £3m, for me, he has been a bargain but you obviously have a different opinion. I think fans generally have too high expectations of players Zatman, not just you and I

His passing is awful, when you are playing possession football, one of the basic things you need of your players is to hold onto the ball, with Ramsey and McGinn in the middle this is not going to happen, McGinn gives the ball away so cheaply too often, he looks for an outrageous pass that normally ends up with the opposition. Cant fault his work rate, but he needs to get back to basics. 

15 hours ago, AV82 said:

Imagine this guy coming off the bench to absolutely butt **** tired opponents. I want to see it once. Please.

annoyingly this would be brilliant. the problem is that the likes of sanson aren't going to have a similar impact off the bench so he's not gonna get a look in and mcginn will play the full 90 most weeks

Well I for one am delighted that we as a fanbase have stepped up this season and decided on our scapegoat before a ball has been kicked. So many teams fans wait for actual football to be played before deciding what player to deride and abuse but not us. Great work team

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

Well I for one am delighted that we as a fanbase have stepped up this season and decided on our scapegoat before a ball has been kicked. So many teams fans wait for actual football to be played before deciding what player to deride and abuse but not us. Great work team

It’s nothing new just keep looking through threads .if it’s not JM it’s SG being a secret football spy employed by the Anfield secret service to destroy villa from within and turn the claret slowly to Red. 
😉😉

Â