John McGinn

PompeyVillan

10 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

24 passes. 66% accuracy.

From a CM.

That’s embarrassing for a central midfielder to have them numbers, we need to sell him in the summer if anyone actually comes in for him

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

24 passes. 66% accuracy.

From a CM.

But he's generally the one playing risky passes, so you'd expect him to have a lower passing accuracy than, say, Luiz who is picking up the ball from Mings and passing to Konsa.  66% obviously poor, but there is so much context around that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bobzy said:

But he's generally the one playing risky passes, so you'd expect him to have a lower passing accuracy than, say, Luiz who is picking up the ball from Mings and passing to Konsa.  66% obviously poor, but there is so much context around that.

Yup halfway line he plays a blind ball no look Jordan pass which almost results in a goal for Leicester.

Gave away a foul in the first minute, and turned over possession of the ball three times in the first twenty minutes.

However to give him his due he does tackle well, he's third ranked in the PL and he's fourth ranked for fouls against.

Problem is he's just limited in other ways such as passing and keeping possession. Also he goes missing, doesn't work to create space for those around him.

Ramsey on the other hand is always finding space, he's an outlet which is why he often links up well with Coutinho.

I'm not saying he's fat, it's just that his stomach seems to protrude more than most other footballers. I wouldn't say that his passing is crap, it's just that the intended recipients don't get to them in time.

• Haha 3

On 13/04/2022 at 11:33, duke313 said:

Except when he plays for Scotland, he looks like Zidane.

Lots of players do when paying the likes of San Marino and Israel.

7 hours ago, MaVilla said:

genuine question.

Do you think gerrard is playing him to try and maintain some value in him, to move him on in the summer?

Or.......is Gerrard just playing him regardless of how many times he passes the ball to someone that isnt in claret and blue.....

Same for Watkins, i wonder if he will get moved on.....or maybe Gerrard doesnt see the brick feet in him, that most others seem to see.

I dunno, im lost right now with what you need to do, to get in this team, ability seems to not matter.

Gerrard raved about Watkins today. He wants to move us to a possession based team yet seems to really rate McGinn and Watkins. Baffling.

Maybe not fat but I’m concerned about the fitness level of McGinn. Early this season he looked healthier than ever and talked about how he’d worked on getting fitter and eating better. That increased fitness seems gone now and it looks like hard work for him to run.

Some other Villa players look slightly out of shape as well, Bailey and Ings to name two and maybe Martinez also. I’m curious about the current fitness regime for the players.

6 hours ago, bobzy said:

but that is not or should be his role. He isnt good enough to make risky passes, he isnt a player like Kevin De Bruyne. Truth is he makes the same bad pass every game, his manager used to do similar in his playing days and failed but had other attributes to make up for it

We will have much better ball retention when McGinn is out of the team

12 hours ago, bobzy said:

But then is there an advantage to playing risky passes if you can't complete them? 

We need someone who can play risky passes and have the ability to pull them off. 

Mcginn is a major weakness IMO.

2 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

He's just not very good and I'm sick of seeing him in the starting XI. I really hope we move him on.

Yep, agree completely. We'll never be a top 6 contender with John McGinn as an undroppable presence in the midfield. Crap passing, and doesn't score or create enough.

• Like 1

I can understand thinking we need to sign better in the summer, but can't understand all the uproar that he's starting games at the moment, I hate to break it to people but the reason he's starting games is because we have no better options. It's not because he's some Gerrard favorite as some are tyring to frame it, he would be playing if Smith was still manager, or if pretty much anyone else was manager.

• Like 1

He's a very good basic player, which is why he does well with Scotland. He is finding it hard to adapt to the new system Gerrard likes to play. Is there still a place in the team for him. Gerrard certainly thinks so, I don't.

10 hours ago, Zatman said:

but that is not or should be his role. He isnt good enough to make risky passes, he isnt a player like Kevin De Bruyne. Truth is he makes the same bad pass every game, his manager used to do similar in his playing days and failed but had other attributes to make up for it

We will have much better ball retention when McGinn is out of the team

Obviously not like De Bruyne - but funnily enough ranked alongside him in most through passes played this season in the league :D

He’s both our defensively best and most creative midfielder.  What a shit player. 

Â