John McGinn

PompeyVillan

9 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Attacking midfielder but then that was pre ankle injury and lockdown rehab which saw him come back bulky slow and immobile and has never actually recovered.

This.

Been saying it since pre-Southampton injury in our first season back.

McGinn started that season pretty well but before the injury his form dropped off big time.

Not shown anything consistent since...

Even if we kept him around as a squad player I'm still not confident he could come on for ten to fifteen minutes as a substitute and not give the ball away.

10 hours ago, Anything11 said:

Has been asked to do a lot and not much of it seems to be what comes naturally to him. Currently he doesn't look good enough.

Except when he plays for Scotland, he looks like Zidane.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Villaphan04 said:

at what point do we stop making excuses for McGinn making our midfield unbalanced. Easily been our weak link 

Think we stopped a while ago to be honest.

It's sad, I love McGinn but he's been trash for a while now. Needs a rest, sort his head out, get back to basics..

I don't know what but continually playing him isn't the answer, he's getting hung out to dry by the manager. Fans are going to get on his case and he deserves better than that imo

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Spoony said:

First out the door for me

genuine question.

Do you think gerrard is playing him to try and maintain some value in him, to move him on in the summer?

Or.......is Gerrard just playing him regardless of how many times he passes the ball to someone that isnt in claret and blue.....

Same for Watkins, i wonder if he will get moved on.....or maybe Gerrard doesnt see the brick feet in him, that most others seem to see.

I dunno, im lost right now with what you need to do, to get in this team, ability seems to not matter.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

genuine question.

Do you think gerrard is playing him to try and maintain some value in him, to move him on in the summer?

Or.......is Gerrard just playing him regardless of how many times he passes the ball to someone that isnt in claret and blue.....

Same for Watkins, i wonder if he will get moved on.....or maybe Gerrard doesnt see the brick feet in him, that most others seem to see.

I dunno, im lost right now with what you need to do, to get in this team, ability seems to not matter.

He has ‘grit. Whatever the **** that means.

3 minutes ago, AV82 said:

Out of position, out of form. Manager too scared to drop him.

I’m not sure it’s just about form. I don’t think he has the quality we need. There are flashes but only top players can play well consistently. He isn’t a top player. 

Just now, Spoony said:

I’m not sure it’s just about form. I don’t think he has the quality we need. There are flashes but only top players can play well consistently. He isn’t a top player. 

Still does way more than Luiz, for me.  McGinn tackles and harries and wins the ball back in good positions.  His passing is generally much more risky because he's looking for players to break off him.

For some reason, he's becoming the new Westwood on this forum.

6 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Still does way more than Luiz, for me.  McGinn tackles and harries and wins the ball back in good positions.  His passing is generally much more risky because he's looking for players to break off him.

For some reason, he's becoming the new Westwood on this forum.

Oh I’m def not defending Luiz in all this. McGinn is first out the door with Luiz being swiftly booted out behind him. We are going nowhere with those two. 

Just now, Spoony said:

Oh I’m def not defending Luiz in all this. McGinn is first out the door with Luiz being swiftly booted out behind him. We are going nowhere with those two. 

I disagree - McGinn is absolutely fine.  Offers a lot to the team and is right up there in the entire league in terms of what he brings to the side.

17 minutes ago, AV82 said:

Out of position, out of form. Manager too scared to drop him.

Which is a big issue. You only need to look at Maguire to see what can happen when a manager sticks with a player that is massively out of form and others not given a chance.

9 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I disagree - McGinn is absolutely fine.  Offers a lot to the team and is right up there in the entire league in terms of what he brings to the side.

Fair enough. I don’t agree though, I think he holds us back and we won’t progress without replacing the midfield. 

7 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

Which is a big issue. You only need to look at Maguire to see what can happen when a manager sticks with a player that is massively out of form and others not given a chance.

I don’t think any of us are going to threaten to bomb his house.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Gregg Evans said he was a one man midfield 

I bet he made less passes had less touches and made less tackles but yes proper lad. All action midfielder. Just ignore the hiding from the ball the lack of tackles the hospital passes and the inability to get up and down a football pitch.

But he's everywhere apparently according to every pundit and neutral fan.

• Like 2

Â