John McGinn

PompeyVillan

14 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Or dominate the ball and stop giving it to them???

How many times did he give it away today?

I'm all for criticising a poor performance but your post was criticising the fact he made tackles. When that's your argument, it shows your lack of credibility in any sort of footballing sense.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Sprayed 3 or absolute worldie passes in the first half alone....

We need him to control the midfield too though, which he cannot do. To me if he was any good, he'd be captain all day long.

He'll be a great bench option for the next couple of years, but we need technically more advanced players in midfield to start games for us to be able to take points off West Ham and Wolves. We have to keep fine tuning the squad. 

8 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

He’s not very good really is he

2 minutes ago, maqroll said:

He'll be a great bench option for the next couple of years, but we need technically more advanced players in midfield to start games for us to be able to take points off West Ham and Wolves. We have to keep fine tuning the squad. 

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

We need him to control the midfield too though, which he cannot do. To me if he was any good, he'd be captain all day long.

to be brutally honest, im almost starting to worry that Gerrard does see him as capable of being one of the players to help us to the next level.......

I 100% think he isnt, but if Gerrard thinks so.....?

I hope he isnt that...silly!

• Like 1

Still have no idea why he is starting every game. I mean he is not the fittest player in the team either is he?

It would be far better to bring him on late in a game to tighten up the midfield a bit, when we aren't desperate for a goal.

33 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

What did he do today to make you write that? Or are you just fishing fir a reaction?

He didn't do anything today. That's the problem.

I think he will leave a huge hole if he left the club. I think you need players/people like McGinn here. That's not to say he can't be managed better and used in rotation at times. He does a lot of the dirty work well, he does not hide too. I admire him, even though his ability lets him down at times.

Edited by Villa_Vids
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

He didn't do anything today. That's the problem.

One of our best players. Passing was excellent, stopped their breakaways with key tackles, started attacks, drove forward. There is no way you can believe he didnt do anything. Clear agenda and quite weird tbh

1 hour ago, GingerCollins29 said:

How many times did he give it away today?

I'm all for criticising a poor performance but your post was criticising the fact he made tackles. When that's your argument, it shows your lack of credibility in any sort of footballing sense.

No I didn't.  I was criticising the fact he had to and we were constantly fouling people, hoofing the ball because we had no midfield and let Norwich dictate the midfield 

I think he made 9-10 passes in the first half.

It's woeful. He does nothing but the odd tackle. Completely invisible in possession 

Edited by rodders0223
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

to be brutally honest, im almost starting to worry that Gerrard does see him as capable of being one of the players to help us to the next level.......

I 100% think he isnt, but if Gerrard thinks so.....?

I hope he isnt that...silly!

I think everyone can agree Gerrard knows what he’s doing with Ginny a lot more than anyone who’s debating on here , we’ve all seen the clips of him around BMH he’s the main man for morale and bonding in the group , hes needed in this team ,I agree he is certainly another player who’s not played to his peak recently but today he looked like the confidence was back and was up to the challenge , he 100% stays for me 

9 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

No I didn't.  I was criticising the fact he had to and we were constantly fouling people, hoofing the ball because we had no midfield and let Norwich dictate the midfield 

I think he made 9-10 passes in the first half.

It's woeful. He does nothing but the odd tackle. Completely invisible in possession 

So to clarify, you are criticising mcginn because the tactics were hoofball, we gave away free kicks and our system meant we got overrun in midfield. 

So then because Norwich had the ball in midfield, mcginn was wrong to tackle them. 

So then he makes passes but thats wrong too, because all he does is the odd tackle.

So McGinn is at fault for the system, the tactics, other players decision making, the whole midfield performance, norwich dominating at times, for passing the ball AND for tackling their players.

But there's no agenda...

• Like 1

McGinn is excellent against a Norwich level quality of team. 

The problem is he can't compete and is too loose with the ball against the top 10 premier league teams and the quality he faces therin. That's why with regret we probably have to find a better player than him sooner rather than later.

Got fouled about 5 times even though the pigs bladder of a ref gave Norwich a foul for exactly the same thing against us. 

McGinn played well today 6 tackles , 83.3% passing accuracy and 1 key pass. He seemed to play higher up in the first half too. 

His passing sometimes is down in the 60’s and that’s unacceptable but today he was good. Hopefully he can perform at this level consistently. 

Â