John McGinn

PompeyVillan

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I agree with both of you ffs.

He is an immensely frustrating and polarising player.

One minute he can't pass to a team mate 5 yards away.

Next minute he's a combination of Pirlo, Xavi and Gerrard in his prime sending raking pinpoint passes, beating players and scoring wondergoals.

It's really hard to explain, but he's never calm on the ball, and that limits him hugely.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

In the Arsenal side he would stand out like a sore thumb, and Arteta wouldn't sign him in a million years anyway. He wouldn't get in United's midfield either.

It’s a pointless “what if” scenario that often gets brought up, but you’d honestly swap him for any of McTominay, Fred or Matic?

• Like 1

I respect people’s opinions I just cannot agree. If we want to progress we need to cut players like him. He is a mid-table player. I don’t agree with comments that he’s overweight or whatever, I just don’t think he’s good enough for where we want to be. Even if I did agree that he’s good enough for where we are, that still doesn’t = good enough for where we want to be. 

• Like 1

I’d be happy with someone offered silly money for him, he isn’t good enough for where we want to be going, Saturday he was blowing out his arse from the 75th min

17 hours ago, paul514 said:

He 100% needs to be sold for a good fee, he doesn't fit what we need to do in the summer and this season is the last one we will get a big fee for him due to his age.

Who will buy him for a good fee?

If Southampton offered £10m would you accept?

47 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I agree with both of you ffs.

He is an immensely frustrating and polarising player.

One minute he can't pass to a team mate 5 yards away or not ponder into traffic.

Next minute he's a combination of Pirlo, Xavi and Gerrard in his prime sending raking pinpoint passes, beating players and scoring wondergoals.

Definitely drives you up the wall at times.

No issue with him being phased into a squad played. Make him force his way back in. I think he'd be a very decent 30 minute impact sub.

11 minutes ago, bobzy said:

It’s a pointless “what if” scenario that often gets brought up, but you’d honestly swap him for any of McTominay, Fred or Matic?

He is not as good as Fred but is better than the other 2 but United should be upgrading that position for players above McGinn level 

For all his stupidity Xhaka for me is a superior player 

• Haha 1

I agree with both sides.  He is not good enough technically for Villa to be a true top6 side.  However...  he is the ONLY midfielder we have that is a truly physical player.  Everyone else is a lightweight in the middle.  JJ is improving- but SJM is the only one who can battle and not get pushed off the ball.  Until we get more physical players, he's irreplaceable for me.  I'm so tired of seeing Villa sign and go after these little technical players.  We need a couple bastards in the middle sometimes.  Watching Villa flop and throw their arms up for 90 minutes is maddening.  Nobody wants to battle.

46 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Yes.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, KAZZAM said:

I wouldn't sell him but he isn't good enough for our prime first eleven. Happy to have him rotate in and out or sub on. But he isn't defensively alert enough to be a top half prem midfielder. 

I said at the end of last season if Mcginn was still starting week in week out we havent made any progress at all. And low and behold it's been a worse season than last. 

I see that.

All the more reason why he shouldn't be played where he is....and 2 managers, have done so.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

i think McGinn is a good player, but thats it.....good.

I dont see why ppl cant hold two thoughts in their head at once, he clearly does some very good things, he's tenacious, aggressive, and can have moments of amazing raking passes or the odd clever pass here and there, he also at times, has a great shot on him, i think he is probably best suited to a low possession (35/45%), high tempo, high aggression, direct style, and for him to be playing more advanced than he does with us.

However, he also regularly struggles to pass the ball 5 yards competently, or pings raking balls to nowhere, he isnt the type of player that would suit any form of possession style football, he isnt composed enough to receive the ball in a tight space then find a high level intricate pass to retain or progress possession (yes he can do it, but not a good % of the time, consistently).

I thought he played well at Norwich overall, he did a lot of good things, but a moment i saw that summed it up for me, is he was about 25 yards out from the opposition goal, at that time we had had quite a few slick, intricate passes pinging around, the ball was passed in to him, and some options were there for him to lay the ball off quickly and continue the swift, progressive, intricate build up.

What actually happened, was he stuck his butt out, let the player behind him piggy back him, and spent a good 5/6/7 seconds doing the "McGinn ass special" to protect the ball, which completely killed the swift movement and passing, and the whole move broke down, he did retain the ball and pass it, but in such away that it completely broke the passage of play down, because rather than continue the swift passing and offloading, he reverted to McGinn ass time when it was completely unnecessary, completely, and utterly unnecessary to do that, it just wrecked the fluid move entirely.

Anyway, my point is, i think he is a good mid table player, much more suited to direct, high tempo, chase the ball type play, he isnt a possession player, and if Gerrard wants to play possession football, McGinn simply wont suit that, most of the time, imo.

Just my own opinion of course, and you are free to disagree.

Your observations are clear and accurate,IMO

Edited by TRO

4 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Who will buy him for a good fee?

If Southampton offered £10m would you accept?

Definitely drives you up the wall at times.

No issue with him being phased into a squad played. Make him force his way back in. I think he'd be a very decent 30 minute impact sub.

No idea who will buy him but we have seen him linked for massive fees of 40/50m....

I'd accept 30m no problem if this paper talk was all balls.

14 hours ago, MaVilla said:

I dont see why ppl cant hold two thoughts in their head at once, he clearly does some very good things, he's tenacious, aggressive, and can have moments of amazing raking passes or the odd clever pass here and there, he also at times, has a great shot on him, i think he is probably best suited to a low possession (35/45%), high tempo, high aggression, direct style, and for him to be playing more advanced than he does with us.

However, he also regularly struggles to pass the ball 5 yards competently, or pings raking balls to nowhere, he isnt the type of player that would suit any form of possession style football, he isnt composed enough to receive the ball in a tight space then find a high level intricate pass to retain or progress possession (yes he can do it, but not a good % of the time, consistently).

I thought he played well at Norwich overall, he did a lot of good things, but a moment i saw that summed it up for me, is he was about 25 yards out from the opposition goal, at that time we had had quite a few slick, intricate passes pinging around, the ball was passed in to him, and some options were there for him to lay the ball off quickly and continue the swift, progressive, intricate build up.

What actually happened, was he stuck his butt out, let the player behind him piggy back him, and spent a good 5/6/7 seconds doing the "McGinn ass special" to protect the ball, which completely killed the swift movement and passing, and the whole move broke down, he did retain the ball and pass it, but in such away that it completely broke the passage of play down, because rather than continue the swift passing and offloading, he reverted to McGinn ass time when it was completely unnecessary, completely, and utterly unnecessary to do that, it just wrecked the fluid move entirely.

Anyway, my point is, i think he is a good mid table player, much more suited to direct, high tempo, chase the ball type play, he isnt a possession player, and if Gerrard wants to play possession football, McGinn simply wont suit that, most of the time, imo.

Very good post, spot on 👍

16 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Do you know roughly when in the game that move happened. I’d quite like to see it. 

15 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Now is the time good clubs cash in.

Maybe. I’d much prefer us to keep McGinn around and have him compete as a squad player. He might not like it, but he’d be a very effective player to bring on around the 60 minute mark - especially higher up the pitch. 

• Like 1

He looks so much like a anthropomorphic duck when he waddles around the pitch slightly forward leaning, chest forward and ass out.

Bless his heart it's adorable.

Edited by sne

Â