John McGinn

PompeyVillan

Interesting comments in this link

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/aston-villa/2022/05/01/steven-gerrard-wants-to-give-john-mcginn-licence-to-roam-at-aston-villa/

Gerrard is a huge fan of the Scot and views him as a major part of his plan to transform Villa into serious Premier League contenders.

Adding a player who can protect his team’s back four is a priority in the upcoming window and the boss believes it will bring the further benefit of providing McGinn greater freedom.

“I know John likes to be a bit more of a free spirit,” said Gerrard. “It was a priority in the last (January) window to make a No.6 happen but we couldn’t do that, the timing wasn’t right. We have to be patient for the right thing in the long run.

“But with different personnel around John, we’re hoping to give him some more freedom.”

1 hour ago, May-Z said:

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/aston-villa/2022/05/01/steven-gerrard-wants-to-give-john-mcginn-licence-to-roam-at-aston-villa/

Gerrard is a huge fan of the Scot and views him as a major part of his plan to transform Villa into serious Premier League contenders.

Adding a player who can protect his team’s back four is a priority in the upcoming window and the boss believes it will bring the further benefit of providing McGinn greater freedom.

“I know John likes to be a bit more of a free spirit,” said Gerrard. “It was a priority in the last (January) window to make a No.6 happen but we couldn’t do that, the timing wasn’t right. We have to be patient for the right thing in the long run.

“But with different personnel around John, we’re hoping to give him some more freedom.”

You can't become a possession based team as Gerrard claims he wants to become with McGinn as one of the CMs 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Edited by Tom13
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, May-Z said:

But with different personnel around John, we’re hoping to give him some more freedom.”

I think its feasible to see a different McGinn, when a dedicated 6 comes in.

• Like 3

I love McGinn.

He is out of shape though, there's no doubt.

I think he's enjoying his incredible contract too much tbh.

I'd like him to have an incredibly uncomfortable pre-season and come back ready. Play so well that his agent gets another link to Utd in the papers.

33 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I love McGinn.

He is out of shape though, there's no doubt.

I think he's enjoying his incredible contract too much tbh.

I'd like him to have an incredibly uncomfortable pre-season and come back ready. Play so well that his agent gets another link to Utd in the papers.

He doesn't have the technique or intelligence to be a main stay in this team if we're to advance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

He doesn't have the technique or intelligence to be a main stay in this team if we're to advance.

He 100% needs to be sold for a good fee, he doesn't fit what we need to do in the summer and this season is the last one we will get a big fee for him due to his age.

• Like 1

It's also worth noting that if NSWE want to put as much money as possible in that his sale will be great for FFP given he was brought for 3m and fee's of incoming players are amortised 

4 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

So Gerrard thinks he is so good, he needs protection. I don't really think he is that type of player to have free roam. This is for more of a Coutinho or as jack Grealish was. McGinn is too slow,

He’s not saying he’ll have some sort of floating free role - he’s just saying he’d like him to have the freedom to attack a bit more knowing someone is going to be in the right position behind him.

I wouldn't sell him but he isn't good enough for our prime first eleven. Happy to have him rotate in and out or sub on. But he isn't defensively alert enough to be a top half prem midfielder. 

I said at the end of last season if Mcginn was still starting week in week out we havent made any progress at all. And low and behold it's been a worse season than last. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Spoony said:

We all love him, but he just isn’t good enough for where we want to be. He wouldn’t get into any of the top 6 teams, and there’s a reason for that. 

He's good enough.

The "get into" comment is just weird.  Any links involving him have been with Man Utd and Arsenal (both top 6) and I could see him being in either of their midfields.  He's a decent Premier League midfielder.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, KAZZAM said:

I said at the end of last season if Mcginn was still starting week in week out we havent made any progress at all. And low and behold it's been a worse season than last. 

Bit of revisionism going on in season comparisons though - all I heard from oppo fans last year was we would be relegated without Grealish. Think we just underestimated the transition but staying broadly in the same part of the table is a successful adaptation when you look at the season as a whole, even though weirdly I think both Smith and Gerrard didn’t deliver what was hoped. 

4 hours ago, bobzy said:

He's good enough.

The "get into" comment is just weird.  Any links involving him have been with Man Utd and Arsenal (both top 6) and I could see him being in either of their midfields.  He's a decent Premier League midfielder.

They’re just links. The idea of him moving somewhere like Man Utd is hilarious. If we want to improve we have to get past our love for players like him. A team challenging for Europe just would not have John McGinn in it’d midfield. Just so terrifyingly overrated. He’s anonymous in more than half the games he plays. There’s a reason our midfield is so terrible, and it’s down to the contents of that midfield, of which he is 1/3rd. Both him and Douglas Luiz need to be improved upon, and as an absolute priority. Or we are going absolutely nowhere. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Spoony said:

They’re just links. The idea of him moving somewhere like Man Utd is hilarious. If we want to improve we have to get past our love for players like him. A team challenging for Europe just would not have John McGinn in it’d midfield. Just so terrifyingly overrated. He’s anonymous in more than half the games he plays. There’s a reason our midfield is so terrible, and it’s down to the contents of that midfield, of which he is 1/3rd. Both him and Douglas Luiz need to be improved upon, and as an absolute priority. Or we are going absolutely nowhere. 

I don't really have a particular love for him (although he seems like a great guy off the pitch, probably good for the dressing room etc), I just think he's a good midfielder and, for whatever reason, has become the latest VillaTalk scapegoat (it's laughable you say he's overrated - just look at this thread!).

He's our best tackler, our best carrier of the ball, the player who creates the most opportunities, the player who opens up the pitch the most etc. etc. and yet people think he's not good enough to play for us.  He's our best performing player (WhoScored) by whatever metric they use.  For some reason, though, people fixate on a low pass completion % as some sort of negative.  Of course it's low - he's playing risky passes.  According to fbref, this puts him alongside players such as Kevin De Bruyne and Bruno Fernandes - guess what they're generally trying to do with their passes as well?

I don't get the dislike of the guy.  This bizarre "he's out of shape" stuff as well.  It's, frankly, **** ridiculous.  He's our best central midfielder.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Tom13 said:

16 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Disagree.

I agree with both of you ffs.

He is an immensely frustrating and polarising player.

One minute he can't pass to a team mate 5 yards away or not ponder into traffic.

Next minute he's a combination of Pirlo, Xavi and Gerrard in his prime sending raking pinpoint passes, beating players and scoring wondergoals.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, bobzy said:

He's good enough.

In the Arsenal side he would stand out like a sore thumb, and Arteta wouldn't sign him in a million years anyway. He wouldn't get in United's midfield either.

Â