John McGinn

PompeyVillan

Watching Keirnan Dewsbury Hall for Leicester makes me think that's the kind of player that McGinn should be week in week out. Tidy in possession playing short sharp passes, passing and moving and giving box to box energy. That's the player McGinn was in the championship. 

Instead we have a player that gives the odd moment of high quality and high energy play, yet for the rest of the game is really poor and doesn't add much going forwards or defensively 

We’ve certainly had our money’s worth out of McGinn since signing him and he’s been one of my favourite players in the last five years.

However, to reach that higher end of the league, we sadly need better than McGinn and that much is obvious now.

He may even move to a bigger club this summer but that doesn’t mean he’s better than us, it just means he’ll be utilised in a bigger and better squad. I think Man Utd may take him. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

We’ve certainly had our money’s worth out of McGinn since signing him and he’s been one of my favourite players in the last five years.

However, to reach that higher end of the league, we sadly need better than McGinn and that much is obvious now.

He may even move to a bigger club this summer but that doesn’t mean he’s better than us, it just means he’ll be utilised in a bigger and better squad. I think Man Utd may take him. 

It would be a good bit of business selling him to United, we signed him for £3m and could easily ask for £30-40m.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, sne said:

Really falling out of love with this guy sadly. Gerrard picking him and playing him 90 mins (almost) every game no matter what certainly doesn't help.

Happily sell him for the right price or use him as a impact sub. But as a starter in this position I'm pretty much done with it.

The thing is it's something I criticised Smith for too, the spell when he played him post injury in PL year 1 (?) where he was done after 20 mins yet every 90 was ridiculous 

And neither of them play him in his Scotland role where he looks a better player 

I don't think mcginn has changed under gerrard

• Like 4

McGinn has always been inconsistent. Has always been better when allowed to roam forwards.

When he's asked to play makeshift fullback or asked to sit back as a 6 or to hold the fort to allow Ramsey to roam forwards... We won't see the best of him.

The mistake being made is both McGinn and Ramsey need a rest but aren't getting one. Rest one, play the other and rotate them until they are both rested enough to play together - Or until DM and the Defence is strong enough to allow them both to push forwards.

(Although not sure under Gerrards preferred 2x 10s system the plan will ever be to have two roaming midfielders. He'll be sensible to not reproduce the Gerrard/Lampard for England debate in our midfield)

He's probably the most frustrating player we have outside of Watkins. Quite frankly my patience with him is wearing very thin and his shooting is incredibly overrated. Still the fans shout shooooot everytime he has it outside the box despite hardly ever scoring.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, turvontour said:

When McGinn scored that goal away at Tottenham first game of first season back in PL, what position was he playing?

One of 3 central midfielders with Grealish and Hourihane

• Like 1

Suffering the same curse as Luiz. Being played out of his ideal position.  Our squad is too full of players that don't play the position we need them to.

We need to sell one of our better midfielders, as we simply have too many of them that would ideally play the same role. We need to then buy two that play the exact position we intend to play them in.

Whether McGinn is one of the ones I'd sacrifice, i'm not sure. 

• Like 1

We need him to go back playing as a slightly advanced midfielder, NOT a box-to-box, he hasn't got the legs for it.  

We need him to try and get shots off around the box, a mini Lampard, like he is for Scotland.

He also seems to have absolutely fallen into the trap of being a "stats driven" player.  The amount of forward passes and long balls forward he plays when there are much safer, simpler options is really annoying.. Keep it simple and keep the ball, stop pumping it into the keepers hands or down into the channels.  Apart from JJ and OW, we don't have legs, we have guile (Buendia, Countinho) - we so often fail to play to our own strengths for the sake of "THE SYSTEM" it's so often our downfall in possession. 

We'd get much more joy our of Buendia/Coutinho if we slowed down and played football, rather than athleteball. 

I feel for John in a way, again - we're completely misusing a midfielder player. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, turvontour said:

When McGinn scored that goal away at Tottenham first game of first season back in PL, what position was he playing?

Attacking midfielder but then that was pre ankle injury and lockdown rehab which saw him come back bulky slow and immobile and has never actually recovered.

• Like 1

Just now, Laughable Chimp said:

Technically, we were playing 4-1-4-1 with Hourihane as the DM.

So one of 3 central midfielders? 😂

They key in that game for McGinn was having El Ghazi and Trezeguet, two incredibly hard working wide players freeing up Jack and McGinn to get into the second striker position without losing numbers in midfield.

38 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Attacking midfielder but then that was pre ankle injury and lockdown rehab which saw him come back bulky slow and immobile and has never actually recovered.

That McGinn was exciting, when we break in behind a defence. Is he not still doing that for Scotland, always seems to be scoring, or is it just long rangers?

Â