John McGinn

PompeyVillan

He was on good form today for sure. In typical McGinn fashion, SJM could be Sublime John McGinn or Sloppy John McGinn. He’s just as capable of passing the ball out of play as he is threading the perfect curling through ball. His pressing, energy and attacking threat is great to see, I can forgive his occasional lack of focus. 

Thought he was off it for the first 5 minutes, then he was everywhere and the best midfielder on the pitch in very accomplished company. He energy and endeavour was excellent. I just watched his post match interview, he is very focused and more mature, I think he is going to have a big season. 

73% accuracy today but 4 key passes and numerous turnovers - although twatwell defended well for Chelsea with his whistle the knob. 

If he can operate around the 80-82% accuracy then his game becomes even more dangerous. I wanted him to nut twatwell at the end too.

Said so many times and il say it again that one main reason McGinn failed was because everything ran through the traitor that left the club. McGinn couldn't himself breathe and find and room to shine and I felt he was very restricted because it was Give Grealish the ball. That's no longer a thing and were now seeing McGinn return to the player we seen when Grealish was in fact out of the team which is fantastic.

I hope he keeps on rising, maybe City will end up paying 100 mill for him down the line lol.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dave-R said:

Said so many times and il say it again that one main reason McGinn failed was because everything ran through the traitor that left the club. McGinn couldn't himself breathe and find and room to shine and I felt he was very restricted because it was Give Grealish the ball. That's no longer a thing and were now seeing McGinn return to the player we seen when Grealish was in fact out of the team which is fantastic.

I hope he keeps on rising, maybe City will end up paying 100 mill for him down the line lol.

I wouldn't go to that extreme. But there's a hole for Mcginn to grow into now.

(Insert your Kenneth Williams gif here!)

Much better yesterday - he needs to show that level of effort every game. We've got more options in CM now with Sanson back, Jacob and Carney both pushing for a first team place, and I think the increased pressure from the competition has been good for him. 

4 hours ago, dubliner said:

Saw a video circulating online where he was the victim of sectarian chanting while taking a corner on Saturday.

Really hope this gets reported on but I've not seen anything yet

On my phone so not sure how to link, but the Villa twitter just shared a statement to thank Chelsea as they're currently investigating it.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

This is the abuse at SJM v Chelsea, do not play it if you do not want to hear the vile *******, just sharing for those that want it.

What is it about football that makes grown men behave like this? The guy sound about 50 years old.

I remember when the corner was being taken on the other side a guy was just doing the rocket polisher gesture over and over and it's like...why man? It's just a game of football.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

What is it about football that makes grown men behave like this? The guy sound about 50 years old.

I remember when the corner was being taken on the other side a guy was just doing the rocket polisher gesture over and over and it's like...why man? It's just a game of football.

This will sound snobby but its class and upbringing, probably born to awful parents in an absolute shit tip and just never learnt how to be a proper human being. 

Can someone give me a quick run down of what Scottish " sectarianism " or whatever entails?

What were the chants about? I only heard rocket polisher.

I knew there was a Celtic/Rangers thing but not much else about these kinds of things with Scotland.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

6 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Can someone give me a quick run down of what Scottish " sectarianism " or whatever entails?

What were the chants about? I only heard rocket polisher.

Sectarianism is cultural/political discrimination, specifically in the UK/Ireland, it's abuse between Catholics and Protestant.

McGinn was called a "Fenian word removed" because of his association with Celtic, which is a religious slur against Irish Catholics in Scotland.

Edited by MessiWillSignForVilla
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Â