John McGinn

PompeyVillan

Discussing this on Talksport today. He definitely should have come off as soon as he got the injury, Villa didn't follow the correct protocol for Concussion injuries. McGinn was complaining he felt dizzy but they left him on until he couldn't play no more, not a good move really.

4 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Discussing this on Talksport today. He definitely should have come off as soon as he got the injury, Villa didn't follow the correct protocol for Concussion injuries. McGinn was complaining he felt dizzy but they left him on until he couldn't play no more, not a good move really.

What is their sauce for all this? Trust me bro?

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I mean **** me you honestly believe McGinn complained he felt dizzy and our medical staff left him on the pitch regardless? In 2021?

If so, I may have a bridge you’ll be interested in.

Yeah but some bloke on Talksport said. Almost got me to call in too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I mean **** me you honestly believe McGinn complained he felt dizzy and our medical staff left him on the pitch regardless? In 2021?

If so, I may have a bridge you’ll be interested in.

The Guardian Football Podcast mentioned it earlier in the week also. Apparently Smith said post game that his decision to keep McGinn on "was guided by the player". Medical team need to do an assessment and make the call in these situations. Something we need to improve immediately.

• Like 1

On field Concussion test like ACL test on knees are not 100%. They rely some bit on the player providing feedback to the trainers. Football is especially tough because the trainer only has a limited amount of time to make the assessment.  In American Football players talk all the time of fooling the test so they can carry on. Barring introducing timeouts to football or allowing unlimited substitutions, which would allow for more in depth assessments, on field concussion test will always be heavily reliant on player feedback. 

• Like 1

On 19/09/2021 at 13:51, sne said:

When I saw it yesterday I thought it was a cheekbone fracture or something like that rather than a concussion but if it was a concussion he should have been taken off asap.

well a cheekbone fracture could lead to a concussion - as could a heavy fall that impacts the neck/head area (whiplash like). Football needs to get better at these types of things and be more like rugby where a player automatically has to go off to do the the concussion protocol tests before being allowed back on - not the physio having a look in the heat of the battle as it were, and letting a player carry on.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rightdm00 said:

On field Concussion test like ACL test on knees are not 100%. They rely some bit on the player providing feedback to the trainers. Football is especially tough because the trainer only has a limited amount of time to make the assessment.  In American Football players talk all the time of fooling the test so they can carry on. Barring introducing timeouts to football or allowing unlimited substitutions, which would allow for more in depth assessments, on field concussion test will always be heavily reliant on player feedback. 

Exactly. What do doctors usually do before running more in depth tests? They ask the patient for feedback. 

What we as a club could do in retrospect here is have the medical team remind the players of the dangers of head injuries to get them to think twice about ignoring their own signs.

The Premier League are apparently satisfied with Villa’s explanation and won’t look into it further. It’s the charity Headway who were concerned and are asking for rolling concussion subs (rather than making a permanent concussion sub) to allow player to be properly assessed off pitch. I think that’s a good idea. I was at the game, and I’m sure we did follow protocol but even to me it was clear he was struggling from the first knock. I couldn’t work out what was wrong with him but he wasn’t right. I think we left him on the pitch too long.

• Like 2

Talksport sensationalism. There is no way our medical team leave him on if there is a genuine suspicion of concussion. They have to assess in the moment, it did actually look innocuous, so if added to McGinn saying he was OK and them not having a brain scanner on the pitch with them to pick up something that isnt manifest, it points to him being OK to carry on, just a run-of-the-mill knock. As soon as it got worse, or other symptoms manifested, they whipped him off. I don’t think there is a story here?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 23/09/2021 at 02:15, Hornso said:

The Guardian Football Podcast mentioned it earlier in the week also. Apparently Smith said post game that his decision to keep McGinn on "was guided by the player". Medical team need to do an assessment and make the call in these situations. Something we need to improve immediately.

Without an MRI machine I'm not sure what else they're supposed to be guided by?

3 hours ago, thunderball said:

Talksport sensationalism. There is no way our medical team leave him on if there is a genuine suspicion of concussion. They have to assess in the moment, it did actually look innocuous, so if added to McGinn saying he was OK and them not having a brain scanner on the pitch with them to pick up something that isnt manifest, it points to him being OK to carry on, just a run-of-the-mill knock. As soon as it got worse, or other symptoms manifested, they whipped him off. I don’t think there is a story here?

There's definitely no story here. McGinn was complaining about a pain in his cheekbone following the initial knock, that's why he took the tablets, but a bruised cheekbone isn't a sign of concussion, he said he felt fine just hadp ain there specifically. As soon as he said he felt dizzy he was subbed. The medical staff aren't clairvoyants, and neither are the players. If I'd taken a knock in a game, but thought it was just something as basic as a bruised cheek I definitely wouldn't want to be subbed either.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Without an MRI machine I'm not sure what else they're supposed to be guided by?

I guess it’s how you interpret that statement. If they’ve gone through the required level of assessment that’s great. If by guided by the player they’ve asked him if he’s right to carry on and he’s said yes and that’s the deciding factor that’s not great. 

From other info posted on here since it sounds like it’s the former, but the podcast didn’t make it out like that.

2 minutes ago, Hornso said:

I guess it’s how you interpret that statement. If they’ve gone through the required level of assessment that’s great. If by guided by the player they’ve asked him if he’s right to carry on and he’s said yes and that’s the deciding factor that’s not great. 

From other info posted on here since it sounds like it’s the former, but the podcast didn’t make it out like that.

Not being funny, but how exactly do you test for concussion during a game without being guided by the player?  Surely you have to ask them questions about how they're feeling to establish whether or not there is a concussion risk?

"Do you have a headache?"  "Are you feeling dizzy?"  "Can you stand up?" etc.

Â