John McGinn

PompeyVillan

1 minute ago, fightoffyour said:

I thought a concussion sub could only be made if all 3 normal subs had already been used, but evidently not.

Hope he’s okay anyway, an in-form SJM is a great asset to have.

Would have been an odd way of designing the rule. A concussion just happens and isn't related to the number of subs having been made prior.

3 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

Would have been an odd way of designing the rule. A concussion just happens and isn't related to the number of subs having been made prior.

Yes but in that case there could have been a situation like “well we don’t have any more subs to use and you seem ok so just carry on” rather than taking them off as a precaution.

Good to learn the actual rule though, it does make more sense.

Yeah I think it got worse the longer he stayed on. Adrenaline will have probably took him through 10 mins and he really started to fade, looked like he was going to stack it more than usual.

No blame needed, but the management and medical team need to make sure they're happy with their processes. It's no good for the player and it's no good for the team if we've got someone giving away corners because they're loopy.

Played some lovely passes while he was on. Lost a few sloppy balls, but being positive I don't think he was right in the heed.

15 hours ago, birdman said:

He was in the wars today so credit to Super John. I saw him pop two painkillers on the pitch after the clash so was obviously a nasty one. 

Pretty sure he actually missed his mouth with one which was a sign 😞

• Haha 1

for me, to fit Ings, Watkins, Bailey and Buendia in the team, which we 100% should, that leaves Ramsey, Luiz and McGinn competing for the final 2 slots.

Personally, i think McGinn misses out currently, im not saying he's a bad player before people jump on me, but i also dont think he isnt showing as much in terms of ball retention, control and passing etc, as Ramsey and Luiz., you cant knock McGinns work etgic, but he is quite poor at control, ball retention and finding those intricate passes to maintain possession etc.

However, i think Deano does have a bit of a blind spot for McGinn regardless of what he does, so i have no doubt he will still be one of the first name son the team sheet regardless.

This is from 2016 but presumably rules haven’t relaxed since then, means he’ll be out for Chelsea at least:

If they have a head injury how long does it take for them to come back? 

The FA and Premier League have set out clear 'return to play' guidelines for players who are suspected to have suffered concussion. Essentially, no player will be allowed to return for a competitive game for at least six days.

There is no blood test or scan which can diagnose concussion. Diagnosis is made on the basis of history and examination.

The guidelines work on a step-by-step basis, with a player only allowed to progress a step every 24 hours - although this process can often take longer. The steps are: No physical activity, light aerobic exercise, sport specific exercise, non-contact training drills, full contact training, return to play (after an all-clear from the club's medical officer).

Has performed well this season but if I'm completely honest I don't think we missed McGinn when he went off on Saturday.

Whilst I do see his blood and thunder advanced role being very effective in setting the tone for our midfield especially against teams who will seek to dominate the ball. However a common theme that was very evident in the first half of vs Everton was our lack of composure in the final third (which Dean has named checked as an area we were looking to improve) and I think a big reason for that is McGinn's low pass %, I know he tries ambitious balls but I think in games which we are dictating more of the play simply he does not have the composure in the final third to be effective as our furthest forward midfield (and with Ings and Watkins covering more of the defenders, efficiency in the final third from midfields gonna be increasingly important).

2 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

I know, unreal how time flys these days.

Are you suggesting that time passes more quickly than 1 second per second these days?

This is huge. Concerning if true

Â