John McGinn

PompeyVillan

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

What is it about football that makes grown men behave like this? The guy sound about 50 years old.

I remember when the corner was being taken on the other side a guy was just doing the rocket polisher gesture over and over and it's like...why man? It's just a game of football.

he also sounds like he is about 30 stone, can barely get his words out

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Can someone give me a quick run down of what Scottish " sectarianism " or whatever entails?

What were the chants about? I only heard rocket polisher.

I knew there was a Celtic/Rangers thing but not much else about these kinds of things with Scotland.

Celtic - Catholics - Pope is the head of their church

The 'Reformation' happened in the 1500s and divided Western Christianity. A number of people didn't like the Pope being the head of the church so formed Protestantism. Lutherans, Baptists, Anglicans, Methodists, etc, are all Protestants. Rangers fans are generally part of this. 

England rejected papal supremacy under Henry VIII and became a protestant country via the Anglican branch (as the Pope wouldn't grant Henry VIII a divorce). The Church of England is the recognised church of Anglicans with the Archbishop of Canterbury being the head. 

That's the most I can cobble together from memory so may not be 100%!

Basically its an excuse for people to fight, kill and argue! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

That is absolutely disgraceful. Hopefully they will get that moron and come down on him with the full force of the law.

Interestingly, football is the only sport over here which has a separate Northern Ireland and a Republic of Ireland team.

All other sports, as far as I am aware - rugby, hockey, etc. - have All-Ireland International sides, and that does not seem to cause any difficulties.

• Like 1

Shocking, but it seems if you play him in the correct position, he is a valuable asset. I hope one of the more frustrating episodes in our history - the inability to get the best out of John McGinn - has come to an end. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

That is absolutely disgraceful. Hopefully they will get that moron and come down on him with the full force of the law.

Interestingly, football is the only sport over here which has a separate Northern Ireland and a Republic of Ireland team.

All other sports, as far as I am aware - rugby, hockey, etc. - have All-Ireland International sides, and that does not seem to cause any difficulties.

Brian O'Driscoll did a programme on the national rugby team, with a focus on players from both "sides", including some players of a loyalist background, some who were in the british army & those from republican roots.......... very interesting

Edited by mottaloo
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

Sectarianism is cultural/political discrimination, specifically in the UK/Ireland, it's abuse between Catholics and Protestant.

McGinn was called a "Fenian word removed" because of his association with Celtic, which is a religious slur against Irish Catholics in Scotland.

*Hibernian FC

Hibernia being the Latin name for Ireland and means "the land of winter".

7 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

Brian O'Driscoll did a programme on the national rugby team, with a focus on players from both "sides", including some players of a loyalist background, some who were in the british army & those from republican roots.......... very interesting

As someone from a protestant Irish family I wish I could say that "both sides are as bad" between the old firm. Sadly I cant.

Celtic fans sing some offensive pro terrorist songs (which as someone from Brum offends me deeply and many folks here who were alive during the troubles), but its Rangers fans who mail bullets to Celtic managers or scream personal abuse at Catholic players. 

They both need to cut this crap out but imho its the protestant side that has the longest journey ahead of them.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

*Hibernian FC

Hibernia being the Latin name for Ireland and means "the land of winter".

He is a Celtic fan and according to Wikipedia his grandfather was Celtic chairman

Not that I can imagine some inbred Chelsea fan would actually research this to insult him :P 

Edited by Zatman
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Can someone give me a quick run down of what Scottish " sectarianism " or whatever entails?

I knew there was a Celtic/Rangers thing but not much else about these kinds of things with Scotland.

Protestant Vs Catholic basically , if you ever have time watch the Alex Ferguson film  “Never give in” some insight into how it affected him and his family in football given he was Protestant and his wife Catholic.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

It’s called ‘sectarianism’ because the people that abuse players like this have a ‘section’ of their brain missing.

Honestly as bad as the horrible slur is, this sort of screaming abuse shit happens all the time without the slur and is just accepted.

The Fenians were an Irish secret society that bombed train stations and stuff in Britain, but in like the 1860s. They weren’t all Catholic.

Such a weird insult to use against a Scottish man a hundred and fifty years later.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

McGinn was called a "Fenian word removed" because of his association with Celtic, which is a religious slur against Irish Catholics in Scotland.

I despise Chelsea fans as it is.

This just sums it up for them and their small minded majority of fans.

I hope they make an example of the idiot hurling the outraged abuse at McGinn.

10 hours ago, Enda said:

The Fenians were an Irish secret society that bombed train stations and stuff in Britain, but in like the 1860s. They weren’t all Catholic.

Such a weird insult to use against a Scottish man a hundred and fifty years later.

Why are you trying to apply logic here? 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thing is all sorts of abuse is thrown at the opposition during a game to put players off and its been going on for well since the game started really it's part of the game. 

Do I condone it no, but it happens.

At least John ignored it which is the main thing although he may blame his crap corner kick on that fan lol.

These fans are pissed up alot of the time remember and when they're with their mates the whole let's throw abuse at the opposition comes in to play.

I've seen people aiming this at stewards and saying why they did nothing, thing is they can't. For one stewards can't put there hands on anyone unless they are apart of an Ejection team and have SIA licence and two most stewards don't carry radios so they can't contact any supervisor. Sometimes each set of stairs has one steward at top Guarding entrance to the seats and stopping people from bringing drinks out. Also one at bottom and they can't leave there post in case someone pitch side decides to jump the barrier to get on pitch.

18 hours ago, Xela said:

Celtic - Catholics - Pope is the head of their church

The 'Reformation' happened in the 1500s and divided Western Christianity. A number of people didn't like the Pope being the head of the church so formed Protestantism. Lutherans, Baptists, Anglicans, Methodists, etc, are all Protestants. Rangers fans are generally part of this. 

England rejected papal supremacy under Henry VIII and became a protestant country via the Anglican branch (as the Pope wouldn't grant Henry VIII a divorce). The Church of England is the recognised church of Anglicans with the Archbishop of Canterbury being the head. 

That's the most I can cobble together from memory so may not be 100%!

Basically its an excuse for people to fight, kill and argue! 

2 blokes standing either side of the road looking at each other, will find some sort of reason to find fault with each other. The times, I have seen Villa fans fighting amongst themselves, in the past.

Human Nature is clanish one minute and segregate the next.

funny species.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, TRO said:

2 blokes standing either side of the road looking at each other, will find some sort of reason to find fault with each other. The times, I have seen Villa fans fighting amongst themselves, in the past.

Human Nature is clanish one minute and segregate the next.

funny species.

We are the last species on the planet that should be entrusted to run it.

• Haha 1

Â