John McGinn

PompeyVillan

3 hours ago, Villa_Vids said:

Really doesn't suit this deeper role. I much prefer it if John was further up, pressing from the front and getting into the box to score. Would have had him behind Ings, Emi on the right & Anwar on the left. He is all action and aggressive but we  don't want him to play in this manner. 🤦‍♂️

Agree with that. 

Playing a 2 man midfield is the worst thing Smith can do. 

1 minute ago, Phil Silvers said:

Absolutely gives everything, needs a definite detailed role and it is as an 8 and he needs a bloody good 6 to play with. 

But he is tactically naive (which is why he is always having to chase after the guy that he has just let go past him and why so many of his passes - particularly his floaty ones - get intercepted or put the receiving player under pressure).  He needs to do more than just run around.  No way that any of the "super 6" would sign him and start him.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, allani said:

But he is tactically naive (which is why he is always having to chase after the guy that he has just let go past him and why so many of his passes - particularly his floaty ones - get intercepted or put the receiving player under pressure).  He needs to do more than just run around.  No way that any of the "super 6" would sign him and start him.

Agree about the passing and that goes for a few others too, my wording wasn't great, I should have read it back first, his role is as a simplified 8. We all have players we like but we have to be ready to see them passed by as we grow.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Which of the top 6/7 clubs would buy him from us? And which of those clubs would be be starting for?. 

None.

He's not good enough for us, let alone a top 6 club. He has far too little influence for a midfielder, it's why we consistently get overrun in there

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Villa_Vids said:

Really doesn't suit this deeper role. I much prefer it if John was further up, pressing from the front and getting into the box to score. Would have had him behind Ings, Emi on the right & Anwar on the left. He is all action and aggressive but we  don't want him to play in this manner. 🤦‍♂️

ye, but the problem is mate, he isnt half as good as the forward players we have on the books (when they are fit), like Buendia, Bailey, Traore, even Sanson etc, but he is not, as you say, suited to the defensive side in isolation either.

I like McGinn, but his general close ball control, passing, intricate passing etc is really poor.

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

ye, but the problem is mate, he isnt half as good as the forward players we have on the books (when they are fit), like Buendia, Bailey, Traore, even Sanson etc, but he is not, as you say, suited to the defensive side in isolation either.

I like McGinn, but his general close ball control, passing, intricate passing etc is really poor.

Honestly you don't know jack shit about Sanson yet, none of us do. Has he even finished a whole game yet!? 

McGinn is good enough for where are now. He may even improve still. 

• Like 1

I thought he had a decent game even before the goal, one big player for us that turned up and tried to make things happen. Passing was o.k and did well to close down Watford player when he broke after the usual Nakamba ridiculous 5 yard square pass.

Think him and Luiz as sitting two will have to do for next two games while we hopefully bring someone else in.

2 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

Which of the top 6/7 clubs would buy him from us? And which of those clubs would he be starting for?. 

We aren't a top 6/7 club.

We finished 11th last year. Our aim now is to get in to the top 10. 

He gets into the midfields of arsenal, leeds and everton (the three teams that fonished above us).

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Had a quick look back through posts - every single one is overly negative and cynical about some aspect of villa. Really odd

Must be a troll in training. Gave itself away immediately. Ease your way in at least ffs.

9 hours ago, vreitti said:

Honestly you don't know jack shit about Sanson yet, none of us do. Has he even finished a whole game yet!? 

McGinn is good enough for where are now. He may even improve still. 

there is enough data and evidence around to see what type of player Sanson is, granted its currently unknown if he can translate that to the PL, but its clear the "type" of player he is.

Sanson didnt just magic out of nowhere in to the PL, he has multiple years of data and evidence behind him as a player.

Clearly Villa used data and evidence to decide to buy him, deeming him a good enough player to spend money on.

Â