John McGinn

PompeyVillan

3 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

Best player for me today. He deserved to play next to a competent midfield partner. Had to do the work of 2 men.

Yeah - surprised at the response. though he did ok today.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, macandally said:

I think your over reacting.  Today was all about fitness and Watford looked fitter across the park.  To single out any individual player in that game would be unfair.  Teams cannot carry players in any position, it compromises the shape, cohesion and patterns.  That means Targett not being able to cope with Sarr pulls everyone else out of sync.

Today was pure fitness, we will be fine, as will McGinn, with minutes.

I've seen it all too many times with him before.

Scored a screamer but by Jove his passing is poor. He often let's runners run off him too and ball watches too much. Pretty much his premiership career in that match. If he is going to play it needs to be as far forward as possible.

Midfield is very much a team combination. Today, McGinn had Nakamba and an off the pace Buendia for partners in the first half. 

When Ramsey injected more energy in the second half, he looked better and scored a cracking goal.

Better fitness and and better options around him should see him improve a lot more again.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StanBalaban said:

Midfield is very much a team combination. Today, McGinn had Nakamba and an off the pace Buendia for partners in the first half. 

When Ramsey injected more energy in the second half, he looked better and scored a cracking goal.

Better fitness and and better options around him should see him improve a lot more again.

Agreed. McGinn was doing the work of 2 or 3 men today for most of the game.

He deserves a better midfield partner(s). I think if we can bring in a proven top quality DCM to play in behind McGinn and Sanson/Luiz, we'll see McGinn at his very best. He's so good further up the pitch.

• Like 1

His passing is fine when he keeps it simple. For whatever reason he tries 2 or 3 impossible passes a game. I don’t mind players doing this once in a while but Mcginn doesn’t seem to learn.

• Like 1

Thought he was naive today, especially in the first half. Was getting physically dominated which is unlike him, passing was poor, hopefully that’s his one bad game out of the way.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WHY said:

His passing is fine when he keeps it simple. For whatever reason he tries 2 or 3 impossible passes a game. I don’t mind players doing this once in a while but Mcginn doesn’t seem to learn.

Probably because of the lack of intensity or ability around him. Get Ward Prowse in next to him to do the technical work and a real strong holding player behind him and just leave McGinn to support the attack. That's always when he looks his most effective 

Â