John McGinn

PompeyVillan

2 minutes ago, RichiBoi11 said:

Probably because of the lack of intensity or ability around him. Get Ward Prowse in next to him to do the technical work and a real strong holding player behind him and just leave McGinn to support the attack. That's always when he looks his most effective 

It's the McGinn special, when we are under the cosh instead of keeping the ball and being tidy and taking the sting out the game, he'll immediately switch to try and 90 yard ping mode or a first time full volley pass on his weaker foot in the direction he isn't fancy.

You know, The simple stuff.

• Haha 1

I just think he is part of our problem in midfield. 

Everytime he gets the ball he either bursts forward or tries a 30yd pass . Sometimes in games you just need to keep possession and pull the opposition around. Everything with him is 100mph. 

I think we need 2 new midfielders. 

1 hour ago, RichiBoi11 said:

Probably because of the lack of intensity or ability around him. Get Ward Prowse in next to him to do the technical work and a real strong holding player behind him and just leave McGinn to support the attack. That's always when he looks his most effective 

He hasn't got the guile to play that role.

29 minutes ago, pete101 said:

Think it's embarrassing people having a pop at mcginn today, he was only player in a villa shirt that did anything with exception to Ramsey and bailey that did well off the bench, wasn't too long ago a long term injury to mcginn nearly got us relegated, pull your heads out of your *** and give the lad the credit he deserves

He was great. Constant pressing and high energy. He never gives in. First outfield name on the team sheet for me.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I thought he was ok. I’m confused why he is getting stick.

What really frustrated me was we had two decent positions in the second half. First one, Traore gave it to him and made a run into a dangerous position in the area for a return. McGinn ignored this (maybe he thought he didn't have the ability to play the pass tbf), and clipped in one of his aimless crosses to noone.

Second, we had a good bit of possession around the box, think it was Traore and Ramsey linking up, comes to McGinn and he panics and fires a wild shot which was going miles wide.

It's really frustrating, and moreso because in games like this, good bits of play from us are so bloody rare. So when he's there wasting and panicking in good positions, really winds me up.

I don't know if it's a lack of intelligence, ability, or both, but he has to be a squad player at best IMO.

• Like 3

Besides the goal, not up to much at all. This wasn't a good midfield we were up against and he really struggled. Ramsey looked twice the player when he came on IMO. 

Can't do any wrong in some people's eyes. I don't get it. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

He needs Nakamba to stay in our half! I want mcginn on the ball 35 yds out, not Marv. We need minimum 4 defenders covering for counters in these types of game. Can't have both FBs and both CMs driving on. Konsa & Mings are very good defenders, but Nesta and Maldini couldn't cover the space we left today.

• Like 1

I don't think people have an issue with Mcginn per say.

I just think people have an issue with the idea of the club not looking to improve on him when he clearly isn't a top 6 level midfielder. 

Absolutely fine squad man. But should not be a starter if we have ambitions of going to the next level. 

• Like 2

His problem is that his only tempo is high and he tries to force the play all the time, he a total instinct player. He's a decent player, but our expectations are rising and unfortunately I don't see him getting to the level we expect which is a top 6 team.

As soon as Traore and Bailey came on, the game changed in our favour and that's because they are a better quality player than anyone Watford had on the pitch. We need to improve every position ruthlessly.

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

Besides the goal, not up to much at all. This wasn't a good midfield we were up against and he really struggled. Ramsey looked twice the player when he came on IMo

Can't do any wrong in some people's eyes. I don't get it. 

Can't do right in some poeples eyes  I dont get it. 

Edited by Stratvillan
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

He’s still our best central midfielder. And not because he’s particular brilliant, but because the club refuses to sign a decent one.

Agreed with this. If we want to seriously be in the running to qualify for european competition, McGinn should be fighting for minutes. As it is, he tries, but it's just a sign of how far away we are that he's clearly our best midfielder.

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

Agreed with this. If we want to seriously be in the running to qualify for european competition, McGinn should be fighting for minutes. As it is, he tries, but it's just a sign of how far away we are that he's clearly our best midfielder.

Sorry dude, don't see that at all. Don't think he's near being our best midfielder. 

Really doesn't suit this deeper role. I much prefer it if John was further up, pressing from the front and getting into the box to score. Would have had him behind Ings, Emi on the right & Anwar on the left. He is all action and aggressive but we  don't want him to play in this manner. 🤦‍♂️

Â