John McGinn

PompeyVillan

6 minutes ago, CosmicVillan said:

Bullet points from Talk Sport interview

1. Got no choice on Jack going - close friend  - skipper and best player - disappointing but have good recruitment team and sporting director

2. Chance for a number of players to step forward and take more responsibility on the pitch..no more one man team

3. Have massively strengthened squad..would have laughed if would have been told 2 yrs ago who his current team mates are

4. Goals and assists spread more around the team

5. Come back fitter this season and in the best shape possible - facilities keep getting better to be an athlete

6.  Excited about Buendia , Bailey , Ings etc. 

7. Got 2 of the best owners in football who want progression, bringing in top class players.. We will be a threat

8. Adding individual bits of quality to a strong core should not take long to gel

9. Target is to finish higher, very disappointed not to be top 10 last season last season

10. Loves it at Villa , still pinches himself every day - settled on and off the park

11. Aiming to start well, first 3 games are important but there are no easy games

12. Playing for Deano  - Top class Manager, made him think about football in a completely different way - has improved him 

Also interesting that Jordan, as a neutral, thinks we’ll struggle to progress this season. 

Lot’s of football people sleeping on this team. 

Just now, Awol said:

Also interesting that Jordan, as a neutral, thinks we’ll struggle to progress this season. 

To be fair, he spoke sense. He’s the first person I’ve heard say that he didn’t think our good season last year was solely down to Jack and that we were doing decent business. But that we were amongst a large group of clubs all having the same ambitions. Also said he thinks Ings is a streaky player and interested to see how he gets on. All fair imo.

22 minutes ago, Awol said:

Yeah he normally talks sense but I think outside of the Villa bubble people really don't know what's going on here behind the scenes - Most of them had us down to be relegated last season and I think we will surprise people again

43 minutes ago, Awol said:

Phil McNulty has us as 8th though (best of "the rest", usual top 6 plus Leicester ahead of us).

Edit:  Feels like Leicester ARE part of the 'top 6' really.  Probably should've said usual top 6 plus Arsenal ahead of us.

Edited by bobzy

31 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

I listened to his interview. He sounded proper gutted re Jack, I get the impression this really blindsided them albeit earlier than the fans found out about it. Same with Dean. 

Yeah  - although it could galvanise them too ..hard to call

2 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

To be fair, he spoke sense. He’s the first person I’ve heard say that he didn’t think our good season last year was solely down to Jack and that we were doing decent business. But that we were amongst a large group of clubs all having the same ambitions. Also said he thinks Ings is a streaky player and interested to see how he gets on. All fair imo.

Yep -- the likes of Leeds, West Ham and Everton are all really strong and that's before we even start to consider the top 7 who are very intimidating. Top 10 is no easy feat, long gone are the days of comfortably finishing 5th/6th after a strong season.

Edited by AV82

3 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

I listened to his interview. He sounded proper gutted re Jack, I get the impression this really blindsided them albeit earlier than the fans found out about it. Same with Dean. 

Yeah both McGinn and Dean have used the words "disappointing" when referring to Jack leaving. Considering how close Jack and McGinn are(were?), it's nice to hear how he actually feels rather than just saving face and singing his mate's praises.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vancvillan said:

So he changed his Happy Meal order?

Yes, it means he can now have 6 happy meals instead of 5. Good on him, helps him finish the toy collection quicker that way too. 

22 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

I liked what he's said about players having to perform otherwise they will be shown the door. We need that way of thinking at the club now in order to progress to where we aim to be. 

It's why he knows his fitness must improve, I'm glad he's working on it.

Still think he's on borrowed time.

Â