John McGinn

PompeyVillan

1 minute ago, MrBlack said:

Secret target that is actually what Grealish is upset about us missing,  and may be a big reason for his moving even after his "my club..." spiel. Irony probably lost on him that the reason we didn't get Europe was due to his own injury. 

On McGinn, he is so likeable and a great player to have around the squad.  If he is in a good place for his fitness I think he has the attributes to be a key player for us. Sure he'll benefit from having a few more options to play the ball to. 

I think the whole team will really benefit from having multiple options moving the ball in front of them. The team is definitely better than last season with or without Grealish so I suspect the push for Europe will be made. McGinn is defiantly going to be one of those that will hopefully step up after a couple of decent seasons. 

Just to say he was excellent in midfield today and was the best of our starting players along with Ings. 

Looks fitter than he has since his injury and played some lovely forward passes too.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him more advanced if we do indeed sign a a new DM. 

5 hours ago, GENTLEMAN said:

Love the way he is always putting the club over. No ego with this guy. 

I started following football/been a Villa supporter since 2006 and McGinn is right up there with Laursen and Milner as one of my all time favorite Villans.  Love his attitude, work rate, and intelligence on the pitch.  I thought he was back to his best in the match today.  I don't think 4231 plays to his strengths, but he'll excel in a 433 or 442 for us this season.

• Like 2

He's going to have to get on his fitness levels. Didn't he say he doesn't keep on top of it all to good. When your team is striving to reach the next level you just have to go that extra length for them. If Mcginn can keep himself really fit them yeah he can be the main man I reckon.

I always noticed when Jack were out, Mcginn stepped up and he was more than just noticed, he seemed to boss games and be everywhere.

6 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

McGinn returned to training with Villa ahead of the Premier League kicking off next week and he admits he’s had to work hard over the summer.

He added: “Everyone’s aware that if I have six weeks off I can go a wee bit chunky.

“So this summer was a wee bit different for me, one of my friends is a trainer so he came on holiday with me and I just tried to stay as fit as I could.

“I know it was key for me to rest after a lot of games in a short space of time but I managed to come back in good shape and probably feel as good as I have done in the past couple of years, so hopefully I can bring that into the games.”

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/sport/football/john-mcginn-details-austin-macphee-21232533

Thanks for that, it's nice to know he's working and worked on himself..

7 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

McGinn returned to training with Villa ahead of the Premier League kicking off next week and he admits he’s had to work hard over the summer.

He added: “Everyone’s aware that if I have six weeks off I can go a wee bit chunky.

“So this summer was a wee bit different for me, one of my friends is a trainer so he came on holiday with me and I just tried to stay as fit as I could.

“I know it was key for me to rest after a lot of games in a short space of time but I managed to come back in good shape and probably feel as good as I have done in the past couple of years, so hopefully I can bring that into the games.”

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/sport/football/john-mcginn-details-austin-macphee-21232533

I watched that interview and decided it wasn't the real McGinn. No mention of 'cheps'.

11 hours ago, KMitch said:

I started following football/been a Villa supporter since 2006 and McGinn is right up there with Laursen and Milner as one of my all time favorite Villans.  Love his attitude, work rate, and intelligence on the pitch.  I thought he was back to his best in the match today.  I don't think 4231 plays to his strengths, but he'll excel in a 433 or 442 for us this season.

The big differentiator there is the level of professionalism when it comes to looking after yourself - but as we saw in the interview, it looks like he's aware of it and hopefully we'll see a better approach from him there. 

He's a very likable chap, all in all, but I'm always wary of the joker/banter-y types. Of the current lot right now, I think Mings is the player I hold in highest regard.

11 hours ago, Jas10 said:

spacer.png

Big season for McGinn. While I do love him, he gives the ball away far too frequently with wayward passes and his shooting boots have been missing for well over a year. If I were Deano I'd be telling him to keep it simple, we can't afford to gift opponents possession several times a match.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave-R said:

Thanks for that, it's nice to know he's working and worked on himself..

Shame it's taken him until he's 26 to realise it!

Big big season for him he needs to be more consistent, if DS plays a 4231 it won't do him any favours.

• Like 1

I like McGinn as a player and a personality, but I think he'll be the first to admit that his physical conditioning hasn't been nearly professional enough.

He's said as much recently with his admission that he can get "chunky" after a break, and his efforts this summer with a friend who is a fitness coach is to his credit.

I think that now Jack is no longer with us some of the jokey atmosphere of which he and JM were part of will diminish, to be replaced by a realisation that there will be very keen competition for first team places this season which will take maximum effort.

An 80% fit McGinn will not be a starter going forward, so it's up to him to be as close to 100% as he possibly can be. He needs to step up this season.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

I like McGinn as a player and a personality, but I think he'll be the first to admit that his physical conditioning hasn't been nearly professional enough.

He's said as much recently with his admission that he can get "chunky" after a break, and his efforts this summer with a friend who is a fitness coach is to his credit.

I think that now Jack is no longer with us some of the jokey atmosphere of which he and JM were part of will diminish, to be replaced by a realisation that there will be very keen competition for first team places this season which will take maximum effort.

An 80% fit McGinn will not be a starter going forward, so it's up to him to be as close to 100% as he possibly can be. He needs to step up this season.

If he improved his physique and athleticism can you image how good he could be?

Â