John McGinn

PompeyVillan

10 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

It's unbelievable from some of the comments on here that people don't see the job he does

I think many are aware of the things he does well.

Just wish he'd be more consistent with his passing because he gives the ball away far too much and it puts pressure on us.

5 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I think many are aware of the things he does well.

Just wish he'd be more consistent with his passing because he gives the ball away far too much and it puts pressure on us.

Grealish more unsuccessful touches, disposessed more and more inaccurate short passes per 90 but people see what they want to see I guess

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Grealish more unsuccessful touches, disposessed more and more inaccurate short passes per 90 but people see what they want to see I guess

The problem with SJM from my point of view is that I think he tries to do what he's not capable of. When he has time and space he's lethal. But in the Premier League as you know, you don't get that every game. He tries too many Hollywood passes. 

McGinn needs to simplify his game and keep us ticking over also pace himself better during the games as he usually is dead on his feet after a quarter of the game.

41 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Yes but he also has a much higher volume of success at all those things as well.

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

It's unbelievable from some of the comments on here that people don't see the job he does

168 in 37 games worth of minutes or 4.54 per 90. Which is meh.

Compared to 160 in 31 games worth of minutes fir Luiz. For 5.16 per 90. Which isn't great either but is a lot better than McGinn.

McGinn is also awful in possession. 

Just now, Kiwivillan said:

So that makes Ollie meh as well which is a stupid thing to say. 

Grealish 4.12 per 90 Also meh?

No, for attackers that is very good. For Midfielders it isn't. 5 goals for a CB is meh/awful for a striker doesn't mean it isn't good for their position.

McGinn needs to do a lot better if he wants to play. 

6 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

No, for attackers that is very good. For Midfielders it isn't. 5 goals for a CB is meh/awful for a striker doesn't mean it isn't good for their position.

McGinn needs to do a lot better if he wants to play. 

Tielemans similar role around same successful pressures per 90. Meh?

Just now, Kiwivillan said:

Tielemans similar role around same successful pressures per 90. Meh?

Yes his defence is meh. He plays with Mendy the 2nd best pure DM in the world behind Kante.

Tielemans offers a lot more going forward. 

2 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Here's my take: an unsuccessful pass/touch that tries to split or break a defence versus an absolute safe pass back to Harry Maguire ... 

????

Safe passes/touches is ultimately a defensive game.

7 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

The difference is Grealish is often crowded out and doubled up on, and the majority of his short passes are the probing, risky type that leads to a tap-in for Ollie. Those are in dangerous, congested areas and are more likely to be cut out, but also cause havoc for the opposition. Context is key here.

FWIW I like McGinn, he's been brilliant for us. Given his journey with us if he's already hit his ceiling then he's done fantastically well. He will always be remembered fondly of he was to leave.

I still think he can do a job, though. Whenever he's had time to rest up he's come back looking like a world beater at times; he would benefit from some healthy competition.

I'm not sure I follow the discussion on pressures, defense, attack and its usefulness. I also think stats can be misleading (lies, damned lies and statistics).

What I do follow is what I see on the pitch.

I remember Traore scoring a wonder goal against ManUre that came about because McGinn dispossessed them high up the pitch. I also remember thinking at the time "Nobody else in our midfield would have attempted that tackle".

Being "horrible in possession" is something that is often thrown as an insult to both McGinn and Nakamba - but they are also the most effective in winning the ball back by attempting to tackle. That very act usually leaves you in a compromised position/stance/balance so the likelihood of turning it straight back over is relatively high - but nothing ventured, nothing gained.

35 minutes ago, Greenfly said:

The difference is Grealish is often crowded out and doubled up on, and the majority of his short passes are the probing, risky type that leads to a tap-in for Ollie. Those are in dangerous, congested areas and are more likely to be cut out, but also cause havoc for the opposition. Context is key here.

FWIW I like McGinn, he's been brilliant for us. Given his journey with us if he's already hit his ceiling then he's done fantastically well. He will always be remembered fondly of he was to leave.

I still think he can do a job, though. Whenever he's had time to rest up he's come back looking like a world beater at times; he would benefit from some healthy competition.

We would be in a fantastic position if we had McGinn coming off the bench as a super-sub, able to go bananas for 30-40 rather than conserving his energy.

Â