John McGinn

PompeyVillan

i like McGinn, he's obviously very important to the dressing room and he works his butt off.

However, for all his strengths of hustling and bustling etc, and the odd good ping out wide here and there, he really isnt very good on the ball, im not sure how he will fit in to a more possession type setup, although i also think McGinn is one of Deano's favourites, so will probably play regardless.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

What is your opinion of him?

I think he is a decent player to have in the squad but we need a better starting CM imo.

Agree with this. He is a great squad man. Always gives 100% and wins clubman of the year every season but he is not good enough for where we are now. 

2 minutes ago, lexicon said:

This and the last game makes me think all he did between Scotland going out and him coming back was sit around drinking cans.

I kind of hope... that he did. Or did whatever he wanted to get his mind off the unending cycle of professional football. You understand that pre-season is all about regaining fitness / sharpness etc. don't you? Jesus wept.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

I kind of hope... that he did. Or did whatever he wanted to get his mind off the unending cycle of professional football. You understand that pre-season is all about regaining fitness / sharpness etc. don't you? Jesus wept.

Sounds like you've got a pretty unhealthy relationship with alcohol if you think that's how people should relax. 

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I'm just not a fan. He's not a top half prem player IMO.

I think the McGinn we came up with was.

Watch some of him on youtube that promotion season and before he got injured against Southampton, different player.

This current player will sadly get it from the returning fans if his only game contributions are losing the ball in his own half and smashing the ball 60 yards whenever he manages to face forward.

Shame about Sanson and Luiz both being out. He needed six weeks off and six weeks pre-season.

His fitness has been an issue since we were promoted.  Players like Targett who were built similarly have been able to improve their physiques and top-end physical output.  McGinn has not.

• Like 1

If we can keep progressing the team, McGinn will be reduced to a squad place or even be surplus in a season or two, however for where we are right now he has a role to play and will most likely play 30+ games unless our other midfield options seriously up their game.

38 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Blowing out of his arse. Either knackered. Finished or just plain unfit.

I don't know anymore.

I just don't think he was ever as good as we thought he were.

Probably is a mid to lower table midfielder at best

Edited by villalad21

I think we forget what we paid for him he was a 2 mil punt from the SPL and turns out he was worth every bloody penny has served us well in the Championship and probably the first half the 19/20 season. Has a place in the squad maybe but fear we will see the same McGinn we have seen for the last 18 months if he starts games. transfermarkt has him listed at €30.00m no way anyone will pay that for him!

Â