John McGinn

PompeyVillan

1 minute ago, Danishlad said:

I think McGinn is quality. 

agreed. he is class and has done so much for us both on and off the pitch.

interestingly he is one of those players who seem to be rated better by fans of other teams. Same with Trez and El Ghazi. dunno why that is. Conversely, there are players such as Konsa and Targett who go completely under the radar of opposing fans yet we know how quality they are

12 minutes ago, Danishlad said:

Top 6 quality?

He has been good for us but he shouldn't be undroppable for a team that has aspirations to be in the top 6. He had numerous avergae games last season and was anonymous quite a few times as well. YOu could blame that on Dean for not cementing an actual position for him but i know one thing for sure, that floating role he generally plays in wont work if we intend to play with Jack, Buendia, Traore, or Bailey next year. A midfield two of Mcginn and Luiz would get overrun every game against any top 10 team with the rest of the midfield being so attack minded and i can't see us pushing on for top 10 while that is a our midfield two personally.

Edited by AVFCDAN

5 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

Top 6 quality?

He has been good for us but he shouldn't be undroppable for a team that has aspirations to be in the top 6. He had numerous avergae games last season and was anonymous quite a few times as well. YOu could blame that on Dean for not cementing an actual position for him but i know one thing for sure, that floating role he generally plays in wont work if we intend to play with Jack, Buendia, Traore, or Bailey next year. A midfield two of Mcginn and Luiz would get overrun every game against any top 10 team with the rest of the midfield being so attack minded and i can't see us pushing on for top 10 while that is a our midfield two personally.

Dan , I agree with some of what you are saying. But I think the player himself is quality. I’m not a D Luiz fan at all, and I feel McGinn does a lot of his job too. Which affects his own performance. And I feel he needs to be rested occasionally. A new partner for him and a rest now and again would improve his percormances.  But he is a quality player.

53 minutes ago, Danishlad said:

Yep, class act both on and off the pitch.

Is he one of the Premier League's best central midfielders?  No.  But, in this Villa squad, he's the first central midfielder on the team sheet for me.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Grealish more unsuccessful touches, disposessed more and more inaccurate short passes per 90 but people see what they want to see I guess

Er....

13 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

Yes but he also has a much higher volume of success at all those things as well.

Yup, nailed it.

I fully expect John McGinn to rock up at Jack’s house, lure him to the rear of his car and then bundle him into to the boot before driving him to Julie B’s house where he’ll waterboard him with Iron Bru, until he agrees to **** city off and stay. 

That’s what good brothers do for each other, make it so meatball!

22 hours ago, MadridVilla said:

Would SJM be moved to an attacking midfield role without Grealish I wonder? He's been quite successful in a more advanced role with Scotland, chipping in with a lot of goals last season

he is box to box for me, and very good at it.

The best and worst of McGinn today. Great shielding, turns, and driving forward but then needless first time balls clipped or volleyed straight to the opposition to give the ball away.

He's on the verge of being a very good top 10 -top 6 player if he didn't turnover the ball so often. 

1 hour ago, cyrusr said:

Full interview is interesting. Confirms secret target for last season was to get into Europe. Seems excited by the prospect of the new signings too. 

Secret target that is actually what Grealish is upset about us missing,  and may be a big reason for his moving even after his "my club..." spiel. Irony probably lost on him that the reason we didn't get Europe was due to his own injury. 

On McGinn, he is so likeable and a great player to have around the squad.  If he is in a good place for his fitness I think he has the attributes to be a key player for us. Sure he'll benefit from having a few more options to play the ball to. 

• Like 2

Â