John McGinn

PompeyVillan

1 hour ago, bose said:

Three international matches for him in the next 6 days.

Understandable that he'll play 90 mins in the playoff game tomorrow but I hope he gets a rest in the next two matches. I absolutely loath the Nations League, ridiculous to have it now in the current circumstances.

If he plays 3x 90 mins I bet Smith will be furious.

I agree.  If he comes back knackered it will ruin our flow.  I don't think it helped in the Leeds games at all.

Ridiculous that certain "name" players can sack off games at international level and the engine of our team comes back knackered every time. 

3 hours ago, The Rosk said:

I agree.  If he comes back knackered it will ruin our flow.  I don't think it helped in the Leeds games at all.

Ridiculous that certain "name" players can sack off games at international level and the engine of our team comes back knackered every time. 

I think Conor would be fine against Brighton

• Like 1

If Scotland qualify for the Euros tonight, it would surely benefit them if they then limited his game time after that as he is such an important player for club and country that they don’t want him getting fatigued by the time the Euros come round. I’d really like to think that Villa were able to have that conversation with Scotland where they ask for him not to play every minute or every game like last time. Obviously he will play tonight. 

21 hours ago, sparrow1988 said:

Needs to start taking a leaf out of the Ryan Giggs/Roy Keane international games playbook. For the meaningless games, just say he's tweaked a muscle or something. It'll benefit him in the long run.

Nations League is competitive gamecso Scotland can enforce a ban if he played the next game 

47 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Nations League is competitive gamecso Scotland can enforce a ban if he played the next game 

Yeah I know that but for countries like Ireland, Wales and Scotland can they really afford to piss off their best players? It's not like they've got an abundance of them. Theoretically, he could "pull a sickie" for the middle game and play the third game and then that could remove the possiblity of Scotland trying to enforce a ban.

In an ideal world, the international managers would have a bit of common sense and not send the player back completely exhausted, and conversely the club would do their best to ensure the player goes on international duty in the best shape possible. That more than likely will not happen.

In fairness to Scotland they haven't really had a Gibraltar or Andorra type game recently and also don't have one during this round of fixtures so it's hard to see from their point of view where McGinn or other similarly important players could be given a rest.

12 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Strange decision. I doubt they banned anyone who was important to them. Then again, who knows with the French? 

There was something years back with Makalele. They called him up even though he had announced his retirement from international football because retirement from international football is essentially a "gentleman's agreement" and the French FA ignored this because he was one of the best french midfielders at the time so called him up. There were talks of a ban for Makalele at the time but I can't remember how it played out in the end.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

There was something years back with Makalele. They called him up even though he had announced his retirement from international football because retirement from international football is essentially a "gentleman's agreement" and the French FA ignored this because he was one of the best french midfielders at the time so called him up. There were talks of a ban for Makalele at the time but I can't remember how it played out in the end.

Makelele got a ban and was forced out of retirement

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LondonLax said:

Three games in a week is ridiculous 

I just had a look at Scotlands fixtures; away to Serbia, Slovakia and Israel in 6 days. That is absurd. He was exhausted last time after mainly playing at Hampden. I hope he doesnt play the last one.

1 hour ago, the_eristic said:

I haven't watched any of his Scotland games in full before, playing RWF tonight?!

tbh, i wondered myself if he could play as our right inside forward, he has the energy for it?, he could defo give the energy to pressing and tracking back, i think he would be an ok inside forward player, if not...amazing?

Only if we bought a new DM/CM tho, to partner Luiz, wouldnt want to take him out of the midfield without someone good to take his place.

13 hours ago, Zatman said:

Depends on the association, France have done it before

Yeah but France have the most depth in quality in the world. Mcginn is Scotlands best player. If he said I don't want to play next game then they would listen to him. 

2 minutes ago, Stoobs said:

Guys, see you at Wembley. Most emotional I have ever been after a game. McGinn was outstanding. Destroyed them with that arse. What a night. Ryan Christie is crying during his interview. 

That’s his best asset 👀

Â