John McGinn

PompeyVillan

Here's a tough one ... who is the better player for Villa: SJM or Milner back in his hey day?

Both have a fantastic engine.  Maybe Milner was better offensively and SJM is slightly more defensive?  I think this is a really tough call.

Also, if we did rest him, who would people prefer as first change: Hourihane or Ramsey?  Hourihane is a marmite player ... for me he doesn't do enough to justify a place in a team as an "8" whereas Ramsey looks to be a potentially top attacking/box to box midfielder.

Milner, although until this season SJM was in an inferior team. Then again, Milner never played with someone who was genuinely world class like McGinn has been, so it's tough.

Edited by Mantis

He really is back to his best. Out first 11 really is quality now. They are all a really good age too. Over the next few years if we can supplement it with a few more signings and bringing through our promising youth players we will be back as a fully established top 10 team.

He really is back to his best. Out first 11 really is quality now. They are all a really good age too. Over the next few years if we can supplement it with a few more signings and bringing through our promising youth players we will be back as a fully established top 10 team.

On 19/10/2020 at 15:29, barry'sboots said:

Here's a tough one ... who is the better player for Villa: SJM or Milner back in his hey day?

Both have a fantastic engine.  Maybe Milner was better offensively and SJM is slightly more defensive?  I think this is a really tough call.

Also, if we did rest him, who would people prefer as first change: Hourihane or Ramsey?  Hourihane is a marmite player ... for me he doesn't do enough to justify a place in a team as an "8" whereas Ramsey looks to be a potentially top attacking/box to box midfielder.

Ginny’s got a long way to go before we can start having that conversation.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

The video on VillaTV is a great watch. What a great lad, and said what we all thought about him last season. Wasn't quite 100%. Of course people were quick to write him off as a PL player.

There was some truly hilarious stuff about. Suggestions Hourihane was a more useful player being the funniest.

We went off a cliff when he hobbled off v Southampton.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

There was some truly hilarious stuff about. Suggestions Hourihane was a more useful player being the funniest.

We went off a cliff when he hobbled off v Southampton.

He was going off the cliff before southhampton. He put in a string of poor performances which culminated in him being frustrated and injuring himself. He was carrying a minor muscle injury from the international break prior and we didn't gve him time to recover and he went and got himself crocked. I was the one who first called for him to be dropped. I though if we gave him one or 2 weeks off we would perform a lot better in the following games with a fully fit mcginn. Remember when he came back in the championship from his 2 game suspension he was one of the best players in the league.

I think he is a player he needs to be regularly given games off because he always leaves it all out on the pitch. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

He was going off the cliff before southhampton. He put in a string of poor performances which culminated in him being frustrated and injuring himself. He was carrying a minor muscle injury from the international break prior and we didn't gve him time to recover and he went and got himself crocked. I was the one who first called for him to be dropped. I though if we gave him one or 2 weeks off we would perform a lot better in the following games with a fully fit mcginn. Remember when he came back in the championship from his 2 game suspension he was one of the best players in the league.

I think he is a player he needs to be regularly given games off because he always leaves it all out on the pitch. 

IMO the whole team was struggling because it simply was not good enough to compete in the PL. McGinn, as one of our better players, was being scrutinised more than others.

He could be rotated when we have a decent squad yeah. But right now if we were to play Ramsey or Hourihane instead of him, there would be a huge drop off in the side's performance.

4 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

IMO the whole team was struggling because it simply was not good enough to compete in the PL. McGinn, as one of our better players, was being scrutinised more than others.

He could be rotated when we have a decent squad yeah. But right now if we were to play Ramsey or Hourihane instead of him, there would be a huge drop off in the side's performance.

That is false it wouldn't be that big a drop off. If we dropped mcginn hourihane would play where he has been playing for us the last 12 games. A period where he was either the scorer or assister on I think (7 goals). He doesn't offer a huge a moung from open play but barkley will fill in mcginns role and we are more than capable of beating teams like wba, Fulham or Burnley with that team. We don't have to play everyone every game. In fact it is a terrible idea and will result to multiple key injuries because once one goes down you can't rest the others and it just builds up. 

Â