John McGinn

PompeyVillan

4 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Match fit I know he is going to be way off it for the entire 10 games. Saying that his body shape looks way too bulky. Not sure if it's something he has worked on or it's just poor dieting 

He's quite open about having a poor diet so I'd say the latter.

In the first half he was getting into very good positions but wasn't being found.  Then finally Douglas got the ball and found Mcginn in space a couple of times.  In the second half inevitably he looked like a player coming back from a bad injury without any real fitness. 

3 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Match fit I know he is going to be way off it for the entire 10 games. Saying that his body shape looks way too bulky. Not sure if it's something he has worked on or it's just poor dieting 

I highlighted this before the Sheff Utd game which was met by (polite and bantery) sarcasm by some on here. 

First couple of games he’s been largely ineffective. Naturally lacks sharpness but doesn’t look anywhere near as svelte as he did before. He was quick and could turn on a sixpence. We really need him to pick up form and quick. 

Granted, he was up against a top team today and one who bossed us off the park all game so hopefully he’ll have more of the hall and more opportunities at Newcastle. 

Edited by roonst83

Compare him to Loftus-Cheek for Chelsea also coming back from long spell out , both miles off the pace ..you need matches to gain match sharpness but his is a bit of a passenger out there at the moment.

In hindsight McGinn shouldn't have started the first 2 games. Smith perhaps should know better? Having said that perhaps McGinn was firing on all cylinders in training so it's hard to say who's to blame (if anyone).

Hopefully now he has enough minutes under his belt to show us was he's made of against Newcastle.

1 hour ago, AV82 said:

In hindsight McGinn shouldn't have started the first 2 games. Smith perhaps should know better? Having said that perhaps McGinn was firing on all cylinders in training so it's hard to say who's to blame (if anyone).

Hopefully now he has enough minutes under his belt to show us was he's made of against Newcastle.

Think 3 games in a week is asking too much of him - maybe keep him for bench 

The only one of the 'star' figures I can see us keeping next season, purely because he's not blown the Prem away and coming back off the injury, I don't see someone coming in for the money we'll want. 

I've a sneaking suspicion the club plans to push him as the new 'face' of the club in Jack's absence. Which is a shame as he's got a face like a bus after a rear end collision. But he's got the fan backing and ability to tag onto.

At least we'll have him next season because he wont be going anywhere in close season given he's been out for six months and the way he's playing and looking.  A fit McGinn will tear up the Championship next season if we get relegated or refreshed player if we stay up.  Cant see anybody paying decent money for him at the moment and we wont let him go cheap given we know what he can do.  

At least his injury probably means we won't lose him whichever division we're playing in next season. Some club might try their luck and buy him on the cheap, but I don't think we'd sell unless we had a really great offer, and he doesn't seem the kind to try and force a move.

Â