John McGinn

PompeyVillan

Hopefully when back I. The side he won’t be playing so high up the pitch. For me his best performances come when he is slightly deeper, then when he gets the ball he can run into the space between midfield and defence. Which either drags the defence out, or commits a midfielder to foul. When he was getting the ball starting higher up, the defence can mark him easier 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, tezzaleed said:

Anyone know how he got on today?

Bit of a lie in, light lunch, walked the dog, spent the afternoon watching some game footage, called his ma and da, then relaxed in front of Netflix I believe.

Not sure how he got on in yesterday's game, but it's good to have him back.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

He should be neck and neck with everyone fitness wise?

They're all going through essentially a preseason.

Still think he'll be a fair bit behind (unless our players went on the Gonzalo Higuain diet) He's been injured for a long period while our players might have been tired but still had continuous training and matches the whole time up until the break. 

Cardio while on the treadmill, the bike or in the pool is a bit different to on the pitch in match situations. At least it was for me. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sne said:

Still think he'll be a fair bit behind (unless our players went on the Gonzalo Higuain diet) He's been injured for a long period while our players might have been tired but still had continuous training and matches the whole time up until the break. 

Cardio while on the treadmill, the bike or in the pool is a bit different to on the pitch in match situations. At least it was for me. 

Maybe I've misremembered but I thought he was more or less back for the next game before we stopped.

I do (genuinely) think Drinkwater could contribute. He was so disgustingly slow and unfit he couldn't even start to play. If he's fit and can move I can definitely see him starting at the base of midfield.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Maybe I've misremembered but I thought he was more or less back for the next game before we stopped.

I do (genuinely) think Drinkwater could contribute. He was so disgustingly slow and unfit he couldn't even start to play. If he's fit and can move I can definitely see him starting at the base of midfield.

Don't remember about McGinn tbh, you might be right.

As for Drinkwater I've not seen anything about us extending his deal that ends on 30/6th. And since he'll also be ineligible for the Chelsea game I don't see him being a factor for us.

Just now, sne said:

Don't remember about McGinn tbh, you might be right.

As for Drinkwater I've not seen anything about us extending his deal that ends on 30/6th. And since he'll also be ineligible for the Chelsea game I don't see him being a factor for us.

Forgot about that.

Pure speculation, but John seems like the type of boy that would have been very focused on getting his fitness up during the lockdown. We haven't actually had the spine of the team play together (Mings/Jack/John) together that much this season, and when we have we've been good....if (IF) John can hit the ground running, then the signs are good

11 minutes ago, carewjust4u said:

Pure speculation, but John seems like the type of boy that would have been very focused on getting his fitness up during the lockdown. We haven't actually had the spine of the team play together (Mings/Jack/John) together that much this season, and when we have we've been good....if (IF) John can hit the ground running, then the signs are good

Hope so.

Penny never really dropped with him that he's not better than all his opponents this season and despite his goals he continually struggled all the way up to getting injured IMO.

It was highlighted how much better he still was than all our other midfielders when we totally collapsed.

Hopefully he's taken from Jack's comeback last season. That's what can be done, it's possible.

Can't see anything other than relegation myself. We'll need John right at it to have any chance. I know he'll give it a go.

53 minutes ago, carewjust4u said:

I am not sure about that to be honest, strikes me as a bit of Rooney ( no inside knowledge just a hunch)

Loves the game, gets by on his aggression and workrate but maybe not one to sacrifice a good time. Before the injury he was having literally zero impact on games. Blowing out of his backside after 5 minutes and just invisible after 10.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

I am not sure about that to be honest, strikes me as a bit of Rooney ( no inside knowledge just a hunch)

Loves the game, gets by on his aggression and workrate but maybe not one to sacrifice a good time. Before the injury he was having literally zero impact on games. Blowing out of his backside after 5 minutes and just invisible after 10.

Fair comment, I think. McGinn had been struggling in one or two games prior to the injury, his form had definitely dipped. The rest  will have done him no harm. Let’s hope for a reinvigorated John McGinn. UTV

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

Before the injury he was having literally zero impact on games. Blowing out of his backside after 5 minutes and just invisible after 10.

He was being over-played, most of VT was calling for him to have a rest and then bam broke his ankle. This squad is still a bit shallow on players like Mcguinn who can control a game, we have missed him immensely over the last 6 months.

edit: just as a follow on pulled up our average player-rating stats from whoscored.com

image.png.3ddfa0332ab59831b97cd77108d54b03.png

Edited by carewjust4u

22 minutes ago, Stoobs said:

I am actually St.Mirren fan, who has adopted Villa as my English team due to John McGinn, who was loved when he was with us. Saw this tweet today and it sums SJM. Really hope you guys pull away from bottom 3. Looking forward to the first match back after the break. Good luck.

Ha ha. Thanks for posting. I loved that. Always liked Gordon despite his Coventry connections. What a character 

Â