John McGinn

PompeyVillan

7 minutes ago, TRO said:

We should put a counter bid for Declan Rice.

Moves like this just don't happen TRO.

You can't sign a first team player off a direct rival in the Prem for less than £25m, probably more.

Plus get that muck into the transfer thread, keep John's tidy for inevitable praise.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Why would he leave West Ham for us?

It was plan to shut them up.

but we have to stop saying that to ourselves....otherwise we will never get out of these doldrums.

why did Robinho sign for Man City as they were trying to escape from the doldrums? I would guess huge wages and Mansours declaration of his ambitions.

If we are going to sign 3/4 top class players it will require huge wages, huge fee's and a huge dollop of persuasive ambition from the powers that be.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Moves like this just don't happen TRO.

You can't sign a first team player off a direct rival in the Prem for less than £25m, probably more.

Plus get that muck into the transfer thread, keep John's tidy for inevitable praise.

But its ok for other clubs to come cherry picking our first team players.

I just don't get your point.

As for the last line, I was answering another poster.....but I will ignore the unecessary gutter talk as a poor attempt to make your point.

Edited by TRO

3 hours ago, A'Villan said:

McGinn is someone we should be looking to keep without any doubt in my mind. I'd even make him captain over Grealish or Mings.

I wouldn't. I don't think I've ever seen him trying to get others pumped on the pitch.

Vice Captain all day though as he leads by example with the effort he expends (presumably also in training) and is probably one of our more approachable players.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I wouldn't. I don't think I've ever seen him trying to get others pumped on the pitch.

Vice Captain all day though as he leads by example with the effort he expends (presumably also in training) and is probably one of our more approachable players.

I'm in two minds about that, I would say that you are right in that he doesn't get vocal with instructions or encouragement.

However, it's not everybody's style to come into a team and be vocal with encouragement or expectations. McGinn is walking into the biggest opportunity of his career and I'm pretty confident he wants to earn his stripes on the pitch with the way he plays before he assumes any leadership role. And I have a deep respect for that. 

Chemistry manifests in a myriad of ways, but don't assume it will gel in time, respect can be hard to come by and footballer's are human and fallible, some of them will get dark with you over the most trivial of commentary. Many of them are playing to look out for number one.

So, with all that in mind, look at the passion McGinn plays with and how animated he gets with himself and tell me he's not busting a gut to be the best he can be for the team, and tell me that if you saw how much he cared about the team, that it wouldn't pump you up to play your best too, that's assuming you too are a player with an ounce of interest in how the team performs. Tammy Abraham had a similar mindset, only I think Tammy took it upon himself to assume a leadership role.

I don't have any doubts about whether it's the same in training, to improve exponentially and burst onto the scene in the manner that McGinn has takes dedicated work.

It's that work ethic and desire to be the best you can be in every moment that drives people to deliver every time they are called on. Eleven of those please.

It's as Muhammad Ali said, on champions, "They have to have the skill and will, but the will must be stronger than the skill"

I'm not saying take the captaincy off Grealish, but I believe that should McGinn add that vocal aspect to his leadership quality, he'd be a gem of a captain.

I think he wants to prove himself as a footballer first, which is fair enough.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, A'Villan said:

McGinn is someone we should be looking to keep without any doubt in my mind. I'd even make him captain over Grealish or Mings.

I agree with McGinn for Captain. Mings makes too many sloppy errors although he would be a great ambassador for the club. 

Grealish is not going to be here much longer so not worth talking about. 

On 01/05/2020 at 22:10, A'Villan said:

Not even sure Mings should stay in the team after what i've seen from him this season.

Even Vlaar and Clark was much better than him,

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Not even sure Mings should stay in the team after what i've seen from him this season.

At the start of the season, he was great, when we had Heaton in goal with Mings and Engels as the centre backs and Nakamba holding. Also, with Guilbert and Targett as the full backs. Hopefully, we can get back to that when the season resumes

Edited by sir_gary_cahill

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Some of the things you say are so outrageously wide of the mark that I have to assume that you’re simply looking to get a reaction, a bit like I’m doing now! Vlaar & Clark “much better”.......seriously?! Had you have said Vlaar & Clark were better, that might have been debatable. Sure, Mings has dropped form since his England cap, but he earned that cap for very good reason. For me Mings is a good example of a leader, not exemplary as a player, but a very decent player and leader. I think you’ve conveniently forgotten the rickets that Vlaar & Clark both dropped during their time at the club.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

Some of the things you say are so outrageously wide of the mark that I have to assume that you’re simply looking to get a reaction, a bit like I’m doing now! Vlaar & Clark “much better”.......seriously?! Had you have said Vlaar & Clark were better, that might have been debatable. Sure, Mings has dropped form since his England cap, but he earned that cap for very good reason. For me Mings is a good example of a leader, not exemplary as a player, but a very decent player and leader. I think you’ve conveniently forgotten the rickets that Vlaar & Clark both dropped during their time at the club.

Not really. It's my opinion.

And in my opinion Mings has been shocking this season.

Don't even think it is controversial to say that. We all love him for what he achieved last season but that's past now. He needs to deliver in the current.

Either way we're getting off topic. Let's discuss John McGinn

Edited by villalad21

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/05/2020 at 00:59, Sam-AVFC said:

we have a few who lead by example.

We want a few who are inspiring and have an infectious personality to lead....those are usually ball winners or CDM's, with a combative nature.

On 03/05/2020 at 10:40, villalad21 said:

Not really. It's my opinion.

And in my opinion Mings has been shocking this season.

Don't even think it is controversial to say that. We all love him for what he achieved last season but that's past now. He needs to deliver in the current.

Either way we're getting off topic. Let's discuss John McGinn

Then I'm afraid I cannot share your opinion, which I find to be very controversial indeed. Mings has become an England international due to the performances that he has produced for us this season. It's not easy to gain an England cap at Villa these days, just ask Jack! If Tyrone were to leave us in the summer, he would command a fee in excess of £35m (in my humble opinion) and clubs do not pay that sort of money or anywhere near it, for "shocking" players. Getting back on topic, he along with Jack, Tom Heaton and McGinn, are again in my opinion, the players that have looked most comfortable in the PL with us this season.      

• Like 3

That rumour was started by this tweet today...

One of our players has asthma as confirmed by Dean Smith, but looking at this guy's other tweets I don't think we can take his word that that player is McGinn.

5 minutes ago, useless said:

That rumour was started by this tweet today...

One of our players has asthma as confirmed by Dean Smith, but looking at this guy's other tweets I don't think we can take his word that that player is McGinn.

Take a look at the posts he has recently liked. Probably best to do this away from the wife...

• Haha 1

Â