John McGinn

PompeyVillan

I think we've played it all wrong since he's been available for selection. More logical to build things up with 30-40 minute cameos which many players coming back from serious injury are used to build up their intensity then he can be really firing for last 5-6 games

Just starting him because of his reputation it seems but it's not working and I worry he might lose a bit of confidence in himself that he might not be as good as before.

• Like 4

He really must learn to play deeper.  A second striker (who often bursts past the striker) he ain't.

I want him taking responsibility and getting the ball and advancing with it, playing passes into strikers etc.

He's got a good shot at distance, make the most of it.

That goal he got against spurs seems to have completely changed the way he plays.

I understand he's just come back from an injury, but that doesn't explain his positional play.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

He really must learn to play deeper.  A second striker (who often bursts past the striker) he ain't.

I want him taking responsibility and getting the ball and advancing with it, playing passes into strikers etc.

He's got a good shot at distance, make the most of it.

That goal he got against spurs seems to have completely changed the way he plays.

I understand he's just come back from an injury, but that doesn't explain his positional play.

It's on Smith. He played a lot deeper in the championship. He used to be great at long diagonal balls from deep too.

The game has  changed since we were last here. Midfielders in the Premier League need to be more mobile and better at the late runs in to the box then back to your own box and then back to the other box so on and so forth.

I think he should have been subbed at half time today as I don't think he looked good.  In the first two games he was finding good pockets but we were hoofing it. Today he kept losing it. 

7 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

The game has  changed since we were last here. Midfielders in the Premier League need to be more mobile and better at the late runs in to the box then back to your own box and then back to the other box so on and so forth.

I think he should have been subbed at half time today as I don't think he looked good.  In the first two games he was finding good pockets but we were hoofing it. Today he kept losing it. 

Won't be able to get into the box if we never have the ball. 

We need to him to get involved with build up. I'd rather Jack get into the box because he'll get us penalities.

Is it just me or was his dorm not great also prior to getting injured? He started the season exceptionally, but if I remember correctly in october/November he was far from being spectacular. 

Could we be overeating his ability as a premier league player? I'm genuinely asking

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, WooJung said:

Is it just me or was his dorm not great also prior to getting injured? He started the season exceptionally, but if I remember correctly in october/November he was far from being spectacular. 

Could we be overeating his ability as a premier league player? I'm genuinely asking

Except the goals early on in the season he wasnt really pulling up trees in all honesty. I think the Premier League has been a major step up in terms of a technical and physical game. He can get there but he needs to adapt, bit similar to Petrov when he came from Scotland

I never bought the big money transfer rumours and dont see him being as coveted by other clubs

7 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

He is one of our best players. He is not match fit and also struggling for a bit of form. He is the least of our worries.

Non of our players are match fit, i expect more of him. He was the worst of our midfielders today, and arguably has been the worst over the 3 games. He was supposed to return from injury by March, that's over 3 months ago. 

Just now, WooJung said:

Non of our players are match fit, i expect more of him. He was the worst of our midfielders today, and arguably has been the worst over the 3 games. He was supposed to return from injury by March, that's over 3 months ago. 

No arguably about It , he’s been very poor 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WooJung said:

He was invisible in several games leading up to his injury.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WooJung said:

He would've had the same issues back then if he'd returned like now.

He isn't ready to start games. When Benteke came back from his serious injury a few years ago I'm pretty sure he had 2-3 sub games before we deemed him fit to start and that was with 6-7 day gaps between the matches.

2 hours ago, WooJung said:

I love John, but to me this looks like part of the problem!

• Haha 1

He was injured earlier in the season, teared a muscle whilst playing for Scotland, but played through the pain for us, that's why his form dropped.

Previous to that he'd scored three and assisted two in our first eleven games, and he was probably our best player, before Grealish move out wide.

I expect once he gets a few games under his belt his form will get better.

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

He would've had the same issues back then if he'd returned like now.

He isn't ready to start games. When Benteke came back from his serious injury a few years ago I'm pretty sure he had 2-3 sub games before we deemed him fit to start and that was with 6-7 day gaps between the matches.

Judging by his anonymity, I think you are right.

Edited by TRO

It's bad when a big fat McGinn is still our best option. 

I think he's always played in that higher position, he's just usually fit enough to get back in as well. As soon as Smith came in he started making runs in behind full backs if they pushed up and our CBs were on the ball. Grealish made them as well initially but ended up dropping with McGinn pushing on.

Struggling yes, but it's not easy been out for six months. Anyone see Harry Kane so far? Oof, stinking the place out.

Do I think he had Grealish's ultra professional approach to "getting fit"? No I don't. We need that next season please John.

If we had eleven players as good as McGinn in their respectve positions then we wouldn't be in a relegation battle. Only other players we can say about that are Grealish, Heaton and possibly the Mings.

• Like 1

On 24/06/2020 at 22:01, WooJung said:

Is it just me or was his dorm not great also prior to getting injured?

yeah i heard this was his dorm..........not great at all. (apparently that's his mate getting mad cus he's such a messy scotsman!)

confused mess GIF by Samm Henshaw

• Haha 1

On 25/06/2020 at 01:43, Tomaszk said:

It's bad when a big fat McGinn is still our best option. 

I think he's always played in that higher position, he's just usually fit enough to get back in as well. As soon as Smith came in he started making runs in behind full backs if they pushed up and our CBs were on the ball. Grealish made them as well initially but ended up dropping with McGinn pushing on.

Struggling yes, but it's not easy been out for six months. Anyone see Harry Kane so far? Oof, stinking the place out.

Do I think he had Grealish's ultra professional approach to "getting fit"? No I don't. We need that next season please John.

Kane scored on Tuesday and had a good game 

Â