John McGinn

PompeyVillan

4 minutes ago, Zero7 said:

Offers nothing 

Did you not see him clapping his teammates on whilst simultaneously running away from them when they wanted to pass the ball.

But he crunched a few people in the odd 70/30 tackle 

He's an absolute fraud. On the odd time he does get the ball he just passes it on and stands 

**** me. Pass it and move. Get people turned , drop in for an option again, switch it, drag people out of position, just **** work them.

He's absolute rubbish.

Receive.

Ping.

Stand.

• Like 2

He’s our captain! Yet strangely I feel quite embarrassed as I can’t see what he is bringing to our team ? I genuinely want him to be fantastic as I do with all the players but what the hell is going on here ??

• Like 2

He knows:

" If I was watching on the television, I would have turned it off. "

"It's huge. We've been criticised for not grafting, and giving away cheap points, but we fought for every ball," he said. "It wasn't pretty, we know we can play better, but it was a huge three points for us and it feels good.

"It wasn't full of ability. If I was watching on the television, I would have turned it off. We owed the manager a performance and we've had a lot of criticism and you either go into your shell, or you puff your chest out.

https://www.hampshirelive.news/sport/football/football-news/gerrard-mcginn-aston-villa-southampton-7597405

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Shocked 1

I really don’t want to think bad of him. He’s part of the promotion team and had some great memories with us. Gerrard is damaging that. I don’t mind keeping players below the standard if they served the club. Only ruthless when it means that they have to play or start. Having McGinn with the squad for the next two seasons is ok with me. But as a starter it’s getting worse and worse. It’s not good for anyone, not him nor Gerrard nor Villa not even for Luiz who we nearly lost and want him to sign a new contract. 

• Like 2

This is from the Player Ratings from Birmingham Mail. I don’t think he played his best but I thought he played like a captain last night. I think this thread is at the stage where, even if he scored a hat trick every week, he would still be abused.

Looked like a man on a mission moments in, crunching into Walker-Peters on a number of occasions as he looked to find some momentum. Kept demanding more from his teammates whenever it went flat. Terrier-like as we entered the final ten minutes and got the home crowd up with some purposeful play and wrestled Djenepo to the ground, much to the delight of the Villa faithful. Looked much more like the John McGinn of old tonight, it has to be said. Drove his troops to the very end. A real contender for man of the match with Mings just pipping him. Strong.

Think that both he and Gerrard need to accept his best role in this side will be to come on as an impact/break up play type sub for the foreseeable. We have been waiting and waiting for him to be something a lot more than I think he can ever be, we cannot afford to wait for players to play themselves into some kind of form. We’ve persisted with him for over 2 years playing well once every 8 games and its no surprise our form over that time has been as poor as it has. He doesnt suit being captain at all, having banter is not inspiring. Picking him as your go to General in the side has been detrimental for us and Gerrard. Doesnt look like he’ll admit that though and will keep playing him regardless.

• Like 3

He does one or two things a game which gets fans out of their seats and that’s what is remembered.

The aimless punts forwards and the inability or willingness to play a simple 5/10 yard pass which opens the game up for us is tiresome. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stoobs said:

This is from the Player Ratings from Birmingham Mail. I don’t think he played his best but I thought he played like a captain last night. I think this thread is at the stage where, even if he scored a hat trick every week, he would still be abused.

Looked like a man on a mission moments in, crunching into Walker-Peters on a number of occasions as he looked to find some momentum. Kept demanding more from his teammates whenever it went flat. Terrier-like as we entered the final ten minutes and got the home crowd up with some purposeful play and wrestled Djenepo to the ground, much to the delight of the Villa faithful. Looked much more like the John McGinn of old tonight, it has to be said. Drove his troops to the very end. A real contender for man of the match with Mings just pipping him. Strong.

Nothing on regards to his ability to pass a football

Which was dreadful 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Think he was much better to be fair to him. Still not probably up to the standard we need and was completely shown up by Luiz when he came on, but better.

…and there is the most obvious Gerrard selection farce we get week after week. 

He disrupts the opposition, which is something Kamara does so well also, so it is clear that we are trying to stop others teams from playing their way. Whilst City had a lot of the ball against us, I never felt overly threatened by their attack like I have in previous seasons - where every time they went forward they looked likely to score. The disruption was the same against Southampton, they couldn’t really create anything, except maybe in stoppage time. 
McGinn needs to start moving it forward better than what he has been and actually complete some passes, maybe even key passes, instead of giving it back to the other team. 

9 hours ago, Stoobs said:

Weird.

Coutinho was MOTM, I'd give Mings runner-up.

Pretty much reflected on VT too.

Birmingham Mail unfortunately isn't really the best in coverage.

I still think we have four or five technically better midfielders than McGinn now, his time should be over.

I think Gerrard seemed to think giving the Captaincy would be something to improve him, doesn't look like it will work.

• Like 1

Â