John McGinn

PompeyVillan

16 minutes ago, WooJung said:

There were a few times in the second time where he attempted an tackle which seemed very unlikely to succeed high up the pitch and got easily avoided and leaving meters behind him exposed. I'm not sure you can attribute poor decision making to match-fitness. I don't think he's poor, but I don't think he's anywhere near as good as many of us thought/hoped he would be. He's an average/decent midfielder who shouldn't be one of the first names on the sheet in a premier league team. I do think that as the season goes on he will marginally improve, but I doubt he'll achieve the heights we all hoped he would. Hope I'm wrong 

This.

He’s such a likeable player that everyone really wants him to do well. Unfortunately, in order to improve, we probably need better. 

Either that or he steps up his game because he just seems so off it at the moment. 

• Like 2

he was getting better very slowly match by match at the end of last season, but hasn't progressed any further. 

but I think there is a lack of belief throughout the team, we are so used to losing and doing things the hard way that we have to learn what it feels like to play well and win again, it won't happen over night. Last season really took it out of this squad.

10 hours ago, av1 said:

I said it time and time again, he simply has to play deep. 

His attributes are his work rate and a burst of pace to break through the lines. Neither are particularly important when you're playing off the CF. 

In that position you need skill and composure, JM doesn't have a great deal of either. 

His position is completely wrong

this is it for me, he spent so much time standing basically with watkins early on, like a second striker, with mcginn playing like a striker and hourihane just.....doing hourihane things, we had nothing in midfield to link luiz and the players standing on the 18 yeard box.

I think he needs to play deeper, harass, press, and burst out or feed forward players, or break from midfield, the way smith seems to have him playing like a second striker just doesnt seem to suit his overall game.

i think with grealish, traore, watkins and hopefully a new MC or winger, mcginn kind of needs to play in a duo with luiz, where either can break forward and one covers the other.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

Classic Villatalk. Some posters criticise a performance and wonder if we need competition in that area of the pitch and it’s the usual ‘I can’t believe you are writing him off!!’.

Noones writing him off. We’re merely stating he’s been poor for a while now and maybe, just maybe, there might be better players out there that will improve us in that position.

I love McGinn. He’s a legend. A character. He was one of the main reasons we got promoted in one of my favourite seasons ever supporting Villa but there is no time for sentiment in the PL. The more games that pass the more I think we need better in the middle of the park. 

There are more pressing upgrades in the squad right now.

McGinn suffered an injury last season and then a setback whilst coming back.

We haven't seen a fully fit John McGinn since around this time last year.

Let's just give him a chance to get back to his old self before we think about trading him in for a new player.

8 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

I'm actually shocked reading some of these comments...

It's the first game of the season and we are already writing off John McGinn?

It took Jack Grealish 8 games to get up to speed last season, let's at least give McGinn a couple to get going. He's still building up his fitness, he was at 80% at the end of last season and has since had a break without competitive games.

To me he looked fine, he made some great runs into the box early on, disappeared slightly in the middle of the game but was at it for the last 10 minutes when we needed him. As someone mentioned tonight wasn't really a game for McGinn, he's better in transitions where he has a bit of time and space to move with the ball. 

He'll be fine, let's all just calm down a little bit...

Not writing him off, just thinking many of us are overeating his ability as a premier league player. And this is not based on tonight's game, but on his performances last season, both before and after his injury. 

As I said, I do believe he is capable of better than what he showed tonight, but if we are to progress as a premier league it is my honest believe that he shouldn't be a guaranteed starter. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, av1 said:

I said it time and time again, he simply has to play deep. 

His attributes are his work rate and a burst of pace to break through the lines. Neither are particularly important when you're playing off the CF. 

In that position you need skill and composure, JM doesn't have a great deal of either. 

His position is completely wrong

I said this last season, championship that’s where we got the best from him. 
When he is running from deep, he runs away from midfielders and draws the defence out. However, when playing higher up he instantly has the defence on him putting him under pressure. 
For some reason Smith is clearly instructing him to play higher, it came from the first few games last year where he scored a couple. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WooJung said:

Not writing him off, just thinking many of us are overeating his ability as a premier league player. And this is not based on tonight's game, but on his performances last season, both before and after his injury. 

As I said, I do believe he is capable of better than what he showed tonight, but if we are to progress as a premier league it is my honest believe that he shouldn't be a guaranteed starter. 

Nothing wrong with competition for places.....no player should feel safe....keeps them on their toes.

He looked slow in thought and movement to me tonight.

39 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

McGinn suffered an injury last season and then a setback whilst coming back.

We haven't seen a fully fit John McGinn since around this time last year.

Let's just give him a chance to get back to his old self before we think about trading him in for a new player.

Not trading him but providing top level competition for him to give him chance to get back to the top of his game which has been almost a year as you said.  If he plays well, he plays, if he doesn’t the other player plays.  Nobody seems to writing him off just he’s not delivering at the moment and we can’t risk being exposed because of sentimental ideals.

38 minutes ago, WooJung said:

I'm sure his performances before his injury layoff were fine, except for the last few when he was playing with his injury. In fact, I'm sure just before he got the injury (but carried on playing) he was our second best rated player after Jack.

If he has lost a yard of pace and a lot of stamina due to the injury then he loses a lot of what makes him the player we love.  We can definitely make a case that he's not had chance to get back to full match fitness yet, so i am still giving him time.

1 hour ago, wilko154 said:

Not many IMO.

If we assume that today's team was the strongest of the squad currently, then (assuming he's not shit) Traore comes in and Trezeguet is gone. If Rashica comes in, presumably Jack moves into midfield and Conor is gone. Then it's between Targett and McGinn for the status as weak link.

• Thanks 1

Gonna be honest, he looked better than he did all of last season. Proper midfield performance today and he wasn't hanging around the goal waiting for a chance like he was last season. Still not up to the McGinn standard we know, but I'll put that down to rustiness for the time being. Even Jack wasn't 100% today.

• Like 2

Got a feeling Fulham will be a good game for him (and Watkins). They will be gunning for a victory at home after 2 defeats. Opportunity in the transition. I would play him against Bristol City, seems like the type that needs the groove (+match fitness)

Â