John McGinn

PompeyVillan

3 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Was poor before the injury and has been awful since. He just isn't a very good PL player, average at best is his ceiling.

I would say aside from using his body well he really does lack intelligence on the pitch. Struggles to find space, struggles to get into the game, struggles to get on the ball.
This is since day one against Spurs.

Can pop up with a goal, can rifle a shot, can roll someone. That's about it at this level.

I’m afraid you might be right. We definitely need another player in there. CM and LW should be priority before window closes. 

2 hours ago, Steero113 said:

People need to drop the fat thing, guys a **** unit. He’s just slightly off the pace. 

Calling John McGinn fat is like calling Adama Traore Rebel Wilson 

I mean it's relative though isn't it? When people call him fat they aren't saying he's fat compared to you or I or the average Joe, he's fat in the same way Rooney was called fat, he's fat compared to the other elite athletes in the PL, fat compared to say Tyrone Mings or Jack Grealish. 

He is clearly not in as good a shape as he was at the start of last season or when he first joined. That's what people mean when they call him fat. He needs minutes on the pitch and the training ground to get back to that shape so we'll probably have to deal with 4/5/6 games of sub standard McGinning until he gets there, but it'll be worth it once he does as he is an absolute game changer (one of very few in our team) when on form. 

• Like 2

I think he will be back to himself in a few games, he was out for a while with the injury and then with the Covid break to. I think the way mcginn plays the break affected him more because he has to be right on his game 100 % cos that's his style of play, he's all about high pressure and winning the ball back quick to start an attack. I'm confident that it won't be long until we see him at his arse rolling best again 😁

• Like 1

I don't think he's even off form. I have a new theory. From a distance, he has about the same build as Trezeguet. I think people are criticising Trezeguet by accident.

I am, by the way, only half serious.

Unfair to heavily criticise or write him off, was one of our best players before he got injured and it has clearly had a significant effect on him (we rarely take these things into account). He certainly started the season better than Jack and scored some good goals, thankfully Jack hit form when we needed it most and while John was out.

He will continue to improve in sharpness and fitness and be a major asset to the team (we probably rushed him back too as we have such a poor squad and no one to effectively cover for or replace him, Drinkwater was a complete disaster).

I agree that he needs to play in a deeper MF position though and I hope we sign at least another exciting winger or WF so we can play Jack in the most advanced MF position and become a more creative & dangerous side. Better MF competition is also needed and a LB.

John looked like our best player at the beginning of last season and given time (and some decent competition & cover) he will be back to form:

spacer.png

Happy Premier League GIF by Aston Villa FC

Happy Celebration GIF by Aston Villa FC

spacer.png

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Unfair to heavily criticise or write him off, was one of our best players before he got injured and it has clearly had a significant effect on him (we rarely take these things into account). He certainly started the season better than Jack and scored some good goals, thankfully Jack hit form when we needed it most and while John was out.

He will continue to improve in sharpness and fitness and be a major asset to the team (we probably rushed him back too as we have such a poor squad and no one to effectively cover for or replace him, Drinkwater was a complete disaster).

I agree that he needs to play in a deeper MF position though and I hope we sign at least another exciting winger or WF so we can play Jack in the most advanced MF position and become a more creative & dangerous side. Better MF competition is also needed and a LB.

John looked like our best player at the beginning of last season and given time (and some decent competition & cover) he will be back to form:

spacer.png

spacer.png

That goal against Tottenham was beautiful

39 minutes ago, Roitorb said:

That goal against Tottenham was beautiful

Yeah, I liked how he intentionally hesitated or “dummied” the shot then finished it so it wouldn’t be blocked by the defender. He certainly looked the most “at it” at the start of last season and I’m sure he’ll get back to that standard again. Our subsequent losses (tough run of games) and knocked confidence (esp the Liverpool result) really affected us and then we lost John to injury (Mings got injured in the Leicester game too but wasn’t out for too long was he?). Jack really stepped up in McGinn’s absence but imagine the pair of them working in tandem now, both fit and on form (and more used to PL football) and surrounded by better and more in form (Doug) players. Got to get these signings right.

Edited by Jas10

4 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Yeah, I liked how he intentionally hesitated or “dummied” the shot then finished it so it wouldn’t be blocked by the defender. He certainly looked the most “at it” at the start of last season and I’m sure he’ll get back to that standard again. Our subsequent losses (tough run of games) and knocked confidence (esp the Liverpool result) really affected us and then we lost John to injury (Mings got injured in the Leicester game too but wasn’t out for too long was he?). Jack really stepped up in McGinn’s absence but imagine the pair of them working in tandem now, both fit and on form (and more used to PL football) and surrounded by better and more in form (Doug) players. Got to get these signings right.

You're missing out the fact he played on for a few games carrying that injury before he was signed off. That seems to be colouring people's views of him when they say he wasnt that great for most of last season.  Whilst that may be true, it's because he played a significant portion of it either injured, coming back from injury, or coming back post lockdown.

You can argue that those who support him are only basing it on a very short time frame where he played well in the PL, but our point is not that he's definitely going to be a world beater for us, it's that he's shown already he can do it, and we have to give him a fair opportunity to do it again.

An injury hit season that got split in half by a global virus, followed by one game of the new season is a crazy time to be passing judgement that he won't cut it.

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

AEG has played on left several times. Put cross in for League Cup final goal from left from memory

Yes sounds about right. It was just an argument that AEG has been so poor because he’s out of position on the right, hence he delivering an assist when out on the left. Does McGinn look better when Jack is central? Someone to bounce off

16 hours ago, Jas10 said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

There’s that deadly Mings ball over the top again.

17 hours ago, Jas10 said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

I miss this McGinn. I hope he comes back to this form soon. 

Â