18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

WBA - Would be a lottery ticket. Not just because of the derby angle, but they are very unpredictable. And very, very beatable. They don't seem to have settled in this league at all, very good players but still that drive is missing and where the hell are they at off the pitch? Basket case.

Sheffield United - Yeah I get the crazy system is problematic but it could also work in our favour third time of asking. We have seen how they can be overconfident at times and be 'got at'. I think it would be a wild one.

Leeds - No no no no no. Thanks and no again. Go up. Be gone. 

Derby - Too fragile for it. I honestly can't see them beating any of the above over two legs, us included. They could win 4-0 in the first leg and lose the second by 5. 

Boro - lol ok Tony.

Bristol - Johnson has already done the team talk for us hasn't he? We have him rattled and have done for 15 months. However he does bloody love a knock out competition. We're a better side though and he knows it, they know it, it's a step too far for them this season in general IMO.

Order of preference: Boro, Derby (little gap) Bristol, WBA (massive gap) Sheffield (**** chasm) Leeds.

I think it will be the Albion and I'm ok with that. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, osmark86 said:

this. I'm still nervous about Leeds being in playoff contention. they have well and truly outplayed us this year and even though it appears that our fortunes have turned for the better, I wouldn't feel confident going up against them. Shef Utd without Sharp seems like a much more lenient prospect.

I don't think that's totally true. Let's not forget we hammered them first half that they had no answer for. We had no grealish or Mings and those two add a hell of alot to us. 

17 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I don't think that's totally true. Let's not forget we hammered them first half that they had no answer for. We had no grealish or Mings and those two add a hell of alot to us. 

I think we could beat them. I'm just saying that if I had to choose between Leeds and Shef Utd in a playoff final, then I would choose the latter. Especially if they don't have Sharp. As other posters have pointed out Bielsa is one helluva manager and I think he'd have a few tricks up his sleeve.

As long as we avoid Leeds, we're good. WBA and Sheffield United, although they beat us this year once each, we've had the measure of WBA in the first one and showed that Sheffield United could be exposed especially at VP. 

If I had to pick, I'd take Baggies. We seem to pull it out of the bag when we really need to against them (crucial league win + FA Cup quarter final in 2015 comes to mind).

1 hour ago, hippo said:

You're (not you personally - Bristol C)  being a bit Liverpool ish about this - create as much noise and bluster as you possibly can and some of it will stick. I was pretty close to where it (the pen) happened on the day - my initial reaction was stonewall pen - the TV angle does give an element of doubt - but to me its not blatantly the wrong the decision - the worst you can say is its debatable . IMO the Weiman goal looks the harsher decision.  

The Abraham goal for Offside was weird - because he initially was waved on and then the linesman changed his mind.

-You can do this with any fixture - our own fans were doing it in the DS thread when were on a non winning streak - Pick out a couple incidents and say 'yep thats 2 goals we should have had'  most cases its pie in the sky. My summary (and I try to be fair) - pretty even in the first half - 2nd half I thought Bristol were poor to be honest - after the goal your composure went and you speed forward at 100mph - with mis placed passes halting your progress - and you then played right in Jedinaks hands, by giving him high balls to deal with - and what was the Baker sub about ? - the goal you scored was caused by us faffing about at the back  after that Steer took a couple of crosses - and that was it.

Generally agree with your summary of the game. We certainly weren't as good after your first goal.

The Baker sub I think was to allow the formation to change. Can't fully recall off the top of my head though.

3 hours ago, osmark86 said:

I think we could beat them. I'm just saying that if I had to choose between Leeds and Shef Utd in a playoff final, then I would choose the latter. Especially if they don't have Sharp. As other posters have pointed out Bielsa is one helluva manager and I think he'd have a few tricks up his sleeve.

Biesla got tactically out classed by monk twice, he isn’t as great as some make out, the6 are beatable for sure

I think a lot of fans fear Leeds because they had their best game at Villa Park. They're not that great. Had we started the season with Smith I reckon we'd have  finished above them.

Yeah there are easier fixtures and they could beat us, but I reckon they'd be more scared of facing us now than vice versa.

Blose beat them. Twice...

9 hours ago, Mazrim said:

I think the mentality of the team at the moment is that they will beat anybody in front of them. With that in mind, I'm inclined to agree with them.

Bring on whoever and wherever.

Rah rah rah. We're going to smash the oiks.

Nice Young Ones quote snuck in there @Mazrim

Positions 3-6 will be Sheffield United, WBA, Villa, Bristol City. We'll beat the baggies away and then again at home. Sheffield will lose by 1 at Bristol but win by 2 at home. Villa will beat Sheffield 3-1 in the final. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, villarocker said:

Positions 3-6 will be Sheffield United, WBA, Villa, Bristol City. We'll beat the baggies away and then again at home. Sheffield will lose by 1 at Bristol but win by 2 at home. Villa will beat Sheffield 3-1 in the final. 

You just might be right. I'll take that anyway!!

34 minutes ago, villarocker said:

Sounds pretty good to me. 

Looking at the table and fixtures, I think that's how it'll end up. 

Possibly swap Bristol /Derby but makes no odds really. 

Leeds won't drop points on their run in ; apart from against us :)

I'd be pretty confident with play offs with that lot. 

Edited by richp999

9 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Hammer them? We took two chances and they missed 2 sitters. They had all the ball and were the much better team that day. 

But we were a completely different team. That would never happen again. 

3 hours ago, Mazrim said:

I think a lot of fans fear Leeds because they had their best game at Villa Park. They're not that great. Had we started the season with Smith I reckon we'd have  finished above them.

Yeah there are easier fixtures and they could beat us, but I reckon they'd be more scared of facing us now than vice versa.

Blose beat them. Twice...

I think people fear leads because of how much intensity they play with. I’ve watched them quite a bit this season and when they are on their game they are relentless and very hard to deal with. Work rate is incredible. Even the games they drop point they seem to always miss a lot of chances.

They will finish in the top 2 I guarantee so I’m no worried about them.