18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

3 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

FWIW @rodders0223, most of you who quote me come across as alright.

However, the Aston Villa fan on that thread (not Pedro) has come across as a bit of a belter each time he turns up on OTIB.

I realise when on here people might not always agree or appreciate my posts, but I do at least try and be respectful for the most part.

lightstock_325954_xsmall_fr._barnabas.jp

12 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

It was about a half a yard to a yard onside.

It’s funny how opposing fans see things. For me, when the ball is played, Weimann is ahead of Axel and therefore offside. It’s a close call admittedly. 

However, the camera angle the highlights are shown from, doesn’t help either argument as it’s not in line with the play.  

1 hour ago, JamesBCFC said:

Tongue was firmly in cheek. Mostly about Tammy and Albert as those two are still very popular with our fans.

My post before that I stand by though.

Off topic but about your post you allude to, I’ve referred to you lot as “Bristol” a fair bit, mainly because typing the full name out seems overkill and “city” is a bit vague, I don’t want people thinking I’m referring to small heath or Stoke or someone. If your neighbours were in the same conversation, I’d have to change that I guess. No harm intended. I have found just typing “Bristol” looks a bit weird and unfinished.

As for calling us “Aston” - meh, we get called worse. I don’t find it annoying but a little bit odd, most people say “Villa”, it’s more natural to say. It would be like calling Leyton Orient “Leyton” instead of “Orient”.

Edited by Shropshire Lad
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dick said:

lightstock_325954_xsmall_fr._barnabas.jp

Not at all.

Weird you think that even the slightest disagreement means someone is salty. 

17 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Off topic, but I’ve referred to you lot as “Bristol” a fair bit, mainly because typing the full name out seems overkill and “city” is a bit vague, I don’t want people thinking I’m referring to small heath or Stoke or someone. If your neighbours were in the same conversation, I’d have to change that I guess. No harm intended. I have found just typing “Bristol” looks a bit weird and unfinished.

As for calling us “Aston” - meh, we get called worse. I don’t find it annoying but a little bit odd, most people say “Villa”, it’s more natural to say. It would be like calling Leyton Orient “Leyton” instead of “Orient”.

Bit in bold I fully agree with, and it grates when Man City or Man United are just referred to as "City" or "United"- even seen it done when they were playing against another "City" or "United" themselves!

I wouldn't necessarily expect an opposition fan to refer to us as "City" or at least not outside of the context of a game where we played their side.

Obviously I can't speak for all our fans, but the consensus seems to be most of us find being referred to as "Bristol" a bit annoying, though I can't say exactly why. Doesn't wind me up enough to upset me as it were, but found it did wind up quite a few Villa fans on Twitter when your club was referred to as "Aston" yet those same people couldn't see they were doing exactly the same thing with "Bristol". All O was doing by saying "Aston" was to highlight that.

But very much straying off topic now, sorry mods.

Edited by JamesBCFC
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JamesBCFC said:

It was about a half a yard to a yard onside.

That's odd as most of our fans see as a team that's overachieved, should we be in a relegation battle then?

Can you find me that angle James? I can't see that on any replay, unless there was somebody playing him on out of shot. I was also there and called it straight away, but if you have further evidence I'm happy to see it. 

No I don't. But if you think you deserved something out of a game in which you were completely outclassed then I think you are overrating your side. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

Wow. If it wasn’t for the abuse aimed at the city of Birmingham and its inhabitants you could be forgiven for thinking you were reading a Small Heath forum there.

The pig-ignorant and unintelligent abuse is a real surprise to me - but as others have said we should take it as a compliment that a club with which we have no association through either history or geography should dislike us so much.

Makes you appreciate what, on balance, a reasonable and fair forum Villa Talk is.

1 hour ago, mikeyp102 said:

It’s funny how opposing fans see things. For me, when the ball is played, Weimann is ahead of Axel and therefore offside. It’s a close call admittedly. 

However, the camera angle the highlights are shown from, doesn’t help either argument as it’s not in line with the play.  

I think you're being kind because he's a Bristol City fan. 

It's close... If you don't have eyes. 

Screenshot-20190415-211414-You-Tube.jpg

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, The Moustache of Teale said:

Wow. If it wasn’t for the abuse aimed at the city of Birmingham and its inhabitants you could be forgiven for thinking you were reading a Small Heath forum there.

The pig-ignorant and unintelligent abuse is a real surprise to me - but as others have said we should take it as a compliment that a club with which we have no association through either history or geography should dislike us so much.

Makes you appreciate what, on balance, a reasonable and fair forum Villa Talk is.

That JamesBCFC on there sounds like a right word removed, I bet he'd be the sort to rock up on another forum and then piss himself in a match thread. What a **** word removed.

At least the JamesBCFC on here is nothing like that, and I'm glad he's here.

48 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I think you're being kind because he's a Bristol City fan. 

It's close... If you don't have eyes. 

Screenshot-20190415-211414-You-Tube.jpg

Surely that image suggests he's onside, if only for the 'benefit of doubt' rule?!

Looking at the line in the grass, it seems to follow Elmo perfectly to Weimann and then Axel and then the planted foot of Jedi is arguably just beyond. I'd say we were very lucky to get away with that one!

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

Surely that image suggests he's onside, if only for the 'benefit of doubt' rule?!

Looking at the line in the grass, it seems to follow Elmo perfectly to Weimann and then Axel and then the planted foot of Jedi is arguably just beyond. I'd say we were very lucky to get away with that one!

To me the shadows of the players are weirdly horizontal. Using the players shadows you can see Axel's shadow is behind Andre. Looks like the lines man got to right to me 

• Like 3

On 12/04/2019 at 04:31, A'Villan said:

I didn't see the game so don't mind me, but I saw the 10 minute highlights, and as a pro athlete myself, I can't identify a lack of effort or fight from us in the first half.

Earned ourselves a penalty, created chances. If it wasn't for Mings' handball, I don't know where Rotherham's lead would've come from. Does a blip of 3 seconds define 45mins?

I am completely ignorant to what Mings' first yellow was about. But I do know what ensued from Villa players. Fight and effort from thereon in. Absolutely chuffed I am.

That pic shows Jed Steer's starting position as being decidedly dodgy. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hippo said:

Anyone else feel like putting there villa top and walking down the road with their cock hanging out ?

Standard Monday evening for me. Why, doesn’t everyone do that?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Can you find me that angle James? I can't see that on any replay, unless there was somebody playing him on out of shot. I was also there and called it straight away, but if you have further evidence I'm happy to see it. 

No I don't. But if you think you deserved something out of a game in which you were completely outclassed then I think you are overrating your side. 

7 minutes ago, brommy said:

Unless Bristol City were claiming a Villa player out of the picture was closer to the goal line than the 6 Villa players in this picture, Weimann is OFFSIDE, albeit by less than half a yard.

It’s extremely odd to claim Bristol City deserved even a draw from the game when they had 10 shots less on target than Villa and Bristol City’s keeper was their man of the match. Bristol City will do better to focus on their remaining games and not to blame others for their lack of superiority last Saturday.

Weren't completely outclassed until after the penalty though.

First half Villa created the better chances and had a bit more possession, but we looked good on the ball and dangerous on the counter- albeit the final ball was lacking.

Villa started undoubtedly stronger second half, but weren't quite dominant until Hourihane won a penalty by committing handball.

After that I fully agree that Villa were well on top, the question is would that still have been the case if the penalty wasn't given? The majority of the chances created were after that, at which point you have two after effects, the momentum shift of the goal, and our players having to wonder what they can actually do without being penalised. I think that's a valid point to make on how the game shifted.

• Confused 1