18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

Bottom line is we can beat anyone in the play-offs whether that be over two legs or in a play-off final - Providing we play to our capabilities and have our key players playing. 

I really don't fear any of the teams we could face (including Leeds) however I am not stupid enough to be too cocky as anything could happen and although I would have us favourites no team involved can be ruled out. 

I'm actually worried about Bolton tomorrow, everyone seems to think it's a given and I hate these types of games but hopefully our mindset is right and the class should prevail.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, WakefieldVillan said:

Bottom line is we can beat anyone in the play-offs whether that be over two legs or in a play-off final - Providing we play to our capabilities and have our key players playing. 

I really don't fear any of the teams we could face (including Leeds) however I am not stupid enough to be too cocky as anything could happen and although I would have us favourites no team involved can be ruled out. 

I'm actually worried about Bolton tomorrow, everyone seems to think it's a given and I hate these types of games but hopefully our mindset is right and the class should prevail.

I'm a bit edgy about Bolton as well.

Was more worried about Rotherham than Bristol.

We should be OK with Jack back in. Need to get 3-0 up the bring McGinn and Whelan off.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Yes it is very stupid

I assume it was brought in to prevent teams from setting up as negatively as possible away from home. If you take the Spurs game last night as an example, even though they had the lead from the home leg, it was encouraging for them to at least attempt to attack as one away goal left City needing to score three times.

That's not to say that I agree with the rule but I can see why it may be necessary to incentivise some sort of attacking play away from home to avoid every game becoming a bit of a cagey affair.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

I assume it was brought in to prevent teams from setting up as negatively as possible away from home. If you take the Spurs game last night as an example, even though they had the lead from the home leg, it was encouraging for them to at least attempt to attack as one away goal left City needing to score three times.

That's not to say that I agree with the rule but I can see why it may be necessary to incentivise some sort of attacking play away from home to avoid every game becoming a bit of a cagey affair.

Away goals rule should stay, it's not stupid it rewards teams for scoring away from home rather than just playing anti-football for 90 minutes.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

According to our website, there are now just 315 tickets left on sale for the Millwall game. 

That means we'll have sold every available ticket (home and away) for the last seven games of our season - I can't remember a better supported period in modern times. If we were to be promoted this season, I think next season could be a real scramble for tickets - especially with rumours of really good season ticket sales. There's an excitement around the place - I hope it produces a momentum that takes us through the playoffs.

Have people just got more money these days? The last time we were successful was just after the financial crash. 

33 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Maybe.....for myself I will be sorely tempted to stop going if we get promoted........I like it down here and haven’t missed anything about the Premier League.

Not just us being always in contention for something - which is obviously a big Plus - but the fact that - virtually - every team is, and that anything can, and does happen regularly.

Id be pleased for the Club, and all the fans who want to see the top sides at VP, but I can’t muster much enthusiasm for it myself.

Edit - although it occurs to me I’ve already renewed so I’d better buck my ideas up lol ! ! 🤨

I think it’s hilarious that you wrote a post about not going if we get promoted before remembering you’d already renewed your season ticket for next season! Did you renew whilst hoping we won’t be promoted?

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Have people just got more money these days? The last time we were successful was just after the financial crash. 

I'm convinced it's the quality football following some real trash. We watched so much muck from 2010-2018.

Edited by Tomaszk
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think we have been shit or played negative football for so long that fans are starting to get the enjoyment back. It happened when Lambert left as well attendances went up in the last few games of the season

• Like 2

1 hour ago, brommy said:

I think it’s hilarious that you wrote a post about not going if we get promoted before remembering you’d already renewed your season ticket for next season! Did you renew whilst hoping we won’t be promoted?

Lol.

When I renewed we weren’t really close to getting promoted, but I guess/ I’m sure I’d have renewed anyway.....without even thinking why ( which certainly explains anyone who renewed in the latter days of Lerner !)...

I suppose the answer is it’s the heart when you renew and the head when you are sat at home musing on life in the higher League and somebody posts something that triggers a feeling.

• Like 2

@turvontour....yes, but not just because we are likely to Win....just that we and loads of others are in contention, that there’s genuine jeopardy and genuine dreams pretty much every week.

Also, probably more contentiously, I like the football more overall.

Yes, amazing to score twice in injury time! That feat reminds me of Man United's champions league final or Man City's premier league winning last game of the season.

I just noticed we've had six different scorers in the last three games: McGinn, Adomah, Abraham, Kodjia, Grealish and Hourihane. It's good that so many players have been chipping in. That's generally what happens in my Villa daydreams too (so that all the players get a bit of glory and are happy)!

Edited by robby b