Marvel Cinematic Universe

mikeyp102

Just got out of seeing Thor Love and Thunder. Enjoyable but Jesus that first hour is a mess. Bale as always is brilliant but ridiculously underused. Lame gag after gag at times. Someone seriously needs to rein Taika in for his Star Wars film.

Edited by stewiek2
  • Like 2

Ms Marvel, didn’t think it would be any good, and times it was quite slow. But I thought the last couple of episodes were good quality 

Spoiler

Plus we have our first proper mention of mutants, plus the X Men theme tune was played, so you’d think that opens things up. 

Spoiler

It didn’t look like the Carol Danvers from our known verse, it looked a different multiverse one too me, but I could be wrong.

The computer game show podcast are doing a new series called Marvel Calls where they are going to watch all the Marvel films and talk about them once a week, starts 22nd July 

They did it a few years back where Dave watched star wars for the first time ever (star calls) which was brilliant 

I'm struggling with the idea of watching the new Thor. Not because I don't love the MCU, I do. Not because I didn't like Ragnarok, I did, and I find Taika's stuff hilarious. No, it's because of the last Dr Strange. I was really looking forward to it, and I ended up turning it off after about 30 minutes. Easily the worst thing I've seen in the MCU. It's kind of soured me on any of the others going forward. 

I even had to rewatch Endgame in case it had been rubbish all along (it wasn't, it's still awesome). 

Please someone watch Love and Thunder and tell me it's brilliant, cos I'm not positive on it atm. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HKP90 said:

I'm struggling with the idea of watching the new Thor. Not because I don't love the MCU, I do. Not because I didn't like Ragnarok, I did, and I find Taika's stuff hilarious. No, it's because of the last Dr Strange. I was really looking forward to it, and I ended up turning it off after about 30 minutes. Easily the worst thing I've seen in the MCU. It's kind of soured me on any of the others going forward. 

I even had to rewatch Endgame in case it had been rubbish all along (it wasn't, it's still awesome). 

Please someone watch Love and Thunder and tell me it's brilliant, cos I'm not positive on it atm. 

I think the first thirty minutes were the worst bit of that film. It was so rushed and stupid. It definitely gets better. It's definitely not great though.

• Thanks 1

Thor Love and Thunder was good fun but can understand some of the criticism.

Thought Christian Bale played a decent villain and some of the other cameos were good too.

Spoiler

Slightly surprised they didn’t kill off Chris Hemsworth for Natalie Portman to take over full time. 

• Like 1

Saw Thor Love and Thunder earlier today.

It's...fine really, certainly entertaining and the two hours flew by.

It's main problem is it doesn't have an identity. It bounces around tonally from the start and never really settles into It's own skin. There are some darker themes which don't suit the jaunty comedy and there's a standout section in (almost) black and white which I think is one of the best things Marvel has done for ages, it's really effective and gripping but it kinda got lost amongst other more lackadaisical scenes and themes.

Cast is fine (Bale unsurprisingly the standout although I would have liked him to have more screen time) and its not a bad romp if you can ignore its inconsistencies. 

Not top tier Marvel, but they've made much worse imo.

• Like 3

On 14/07/2022 at 14:12, HKP90 said:

I think Dr Strange is the weakest film framchise they have. Both the movies were incredibly boring

Think Cumberbatch isnt the problem but his character is better in other movies and not his own

9 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I think Dr Strange is the weakest film framchise they have. Both the movies were incredibly boring

Think Cumberbatch isnt the problem but his character is better in other movies and not his own

I didn't mind the first Dr Strange film, but thought the new one was complete guff. I don't think Marvel will ever reach the heights of Infinity War/Endgame. I hope I'm proved wrong.

49 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I did quite like the first one tbf. And I find Cumberbatch pretty watchable in most things (Sherlock being my personal favourite). I just couldn't stomach the sequel. The script was all over the place, and the pacing through me right out of it immediately. 

There is a trope in action films (and I think Bond is the biggest proponent of this) that it has to start with a bang, a big action sequence. My feeling is that you have to earn one of those through the story, otherwise you just don't feel peril for any of the characters.  Sometimes (most cases with the recent Bonds), the film then goes on to make up for this, but I just couldn't get any traction with DS2.

43 minutes ago, stuart_75 said:

I didn't mind the first Dr Strange film, but thought the new one was complete guff. I don't think Marvel will ever reach the heights of Infinity War/Endgame. I hope I'm proved wrong.

I think they have gone past the peak. Newer characters arent as connectable and Marvel ruined it by releasing a new series every month

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

I think they have gone past the peak. Newer characters arent as connectable and Marvel ruined it by releasing a new series every month

It peaked and started to decline when Disney bought it. Too many shows, too many tie ins, too many marketing/toy opportunities, too much style over substance and it's lost a lot of what made it interesting. 

• Like 2

i thought it peaked with the 3 film run of thor ragnorok, BP and infinity war, i actually think IW is better than endgame and they followed IW up with antman and the wasp and captain marvel which was a big dip

i have a little bit of sympathy for disney because in reality the comic books obviously contain a ton of characters and stories but it is spread too thin

the biggest thing for me is they need to get back to better defined genres within their superhero genre, winter soldier was followed by guardians of the galaxy and they are two very different films tonally, thats disappeared now, they're all the same style of film and this cosmic / multiverse stuff does very little for me 

disney needs to put their cock on the block and go for a much darker tone to at least some of them, be it a thriller, horror or just plain violent, it needs a netflix daredevil type TV show and there's nothing on the slate suggesting any of it will stand out from the crowd

• Like 1

The problem the series has at the moment is its transition from a series that had a very defined long arc to being a series that feels a bit meandering at the moment.

Right back at the start of the series, Phase 1, we had a series of origins that tied into each other with hints at a wider world and with a wider goal clear from the first post credits scene. We get Fury and SHIELD reappearing throughout the film's, we get the nods towards other movies to come, we know that the goal is building towards a team coming together.

Phase 2 has a wobble as the series tries to understand how to put together another arc now we have the team whilst also giving us sequels. It has some brilliant stuff (Winter Soldier, GotG) and some rough stuff (Iron Man 3, Thor 2) and culminates in a messy team up movie that doesn't quite work. The Phase is basically set up for the bigger story to follow in Phase 3.

Phase 3 the series knows exactly what its headed towards and all the stories are mixes of good sequels and solid origin stories, and the best team up films in the series.

Phase 4 meanwhile kinda doesn't have that set up yet. It's partly because it's following on from the biggest moments in the series, where the stakes and events got so high it's hard not to have what follows disappoint, and because we've been dealing with a combination of the fall out from that and some new origin stuff, but with no clue where we're going with it. We don't have a new big bad yet (really - we know it's Kang but there's very little done with that story yet) and we don't have closure on exactly what is happening with the remaining heroes we have. We don't have a end goal that's clear, a wider arc to build towards. And sadly they've also ended up messing with multiverse stuff which is always unsatisfying. And some of the stuff they've done has been messy - Eternals was never going to work, Black Widow is kinda pointless, Falcon and the Winter Soldier didn't deliver. 

They need a solid new end goal. As it is we've got about 4 or 5 new stories they could do, if not more, but none are truly developed yet. We have the creation of an 'evil' Avengers, the multiverse shit, Kang, nods towards a seperate supernatural threat, plus new Avengers and the fate of the remaining old Avengers. But none of these have anything solid put to us yet, really, and what there is is too unfocused.

At the moment we're kinda in almost an epilogue to Endgame phase. We're trying to close off some stories or push them to new places, whilst also bringing in new stuff, but with none of those things being the focus of the movies and shows we've got. As a result, they're a bit of a mess. Not bad, but compared to the good stuff from the MCU, weak.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

At the moment we're kinda in almost an epilogue to Endgame phase. We're trying to close off some stories or push them to new places, whilst also bringing in new stuff, but with none of those things being the focus of the movies and shows we've got. 

Yep, i think this is the crux of the problem.

I don't know if the global box office for phase 4 films is good or bad compared to what Disney would have wanted, but seems lower than previous phases (except for Spiderman obviously):

Black Widow - $380m

Shang Chi - $432m

Eternals - $432m

Spiderman No Way Home - $1,886

Dr Strange 2 - $995m

Thor 4 - $510m

Â