Marvel Cinematic Universe

mikeyp102

13 hours ago, sne said:

Accurate. The more time that passes the more I hate that I spent 6 hours watching that rubbish show. I'm really open to Marvel stuff and have watched everything in the MCU and Moon Knight is definitely one of the worst things they've done. For sure out of the TV shows. Just thinking of it reminds me of his irritating accent too, and that makes it annoying all over again!

Edited by Rolta
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Rolta said:

Accurate. The more time that passes the more I hate that I spent 6 hours watching that rubbish show. I'm really open to Marvel stuff and have watched everything in the MCU and Moon Knight is definitely one of the worst things they've done. For sure out of the TV shows. Just thinking of it reminds me of his irritating accent too, and that makes it annoying all over again!

The first two episodes I thought were really promising too. I wish they'd spend the first season exploring the character and slowly revealing who Moon Knight is and how the multiple personalities interact. Instead... They just ploughed headlong into a Tomb Raider light story with added talking hippos.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

The first two episodes I thought were really promising too. I wish they'd spend the first season exploring the character and slowly revealing who Moon Knight is and how the multiple personalities interact. Instead... They just ploughed headlong into a Tomb Raider light story with added talking hippos.

Couldn't agree more. First 2 episodes set the story up nicely then the writers just took a shitload of magic mushrooms for the next 4 episodes.

Talking hippo my arse!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Rolta said:

Again on the irritating accent 

Spoiler

In the context of him being a made up alternate persona based on him watching a cheesy TV show it actually really works 

Theres 2 things the pitch meeting nailed, hes not in costume long enough and the way he blacks out and we don't see the really violent action stuff is bullshit, to then pull that trick at the climax of the show is complete and utter bullshit

23 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Again on the irritating accent 

Hide contents

In the context of him being a made up alternate persona based on him watching a cheesy TV show it actually really works 

Theres 2 things the pitch meeting nailed, hes not in costume long enough and the way he blacks out and we don't see the really violent action stuff is bullshit, to then pull that trick at the climax of the show is complete and utter bullshit

I get the purpose of the accent but it doesn't stop the character being intensely annoying when he's Steven. I hated him pretty much! The accent, the things he said, his character. He made Mr. Knight irritating too as a result. I'd hate to watch more of him. It's just not enjoyable. It was terribly done imo. 

On 08/06/2022 at 18:06, Chindie said:

First episode of Ms Marvel is out, and apparently it's quite good. Reviewed well too.

The comic isn't my thing but is pretty universally loved so...

I really enjoyed it. Has Spiderman Homecoming vibes to it.

• 2 weeks later...

So just watched Dr Strange 2 as it's got it's streaming debut today.

I'm not sure on it really.

It's a very Raimi film, and gets more so as it goes on. And that's not going to be everyone's cup of tea. Raimi has a very particular style and it isn't going to work for everyone with the mad camera work and crash zoom stuff. I don't think Raimi could take the reins in many MCU properties successfully, but Dr Strange is one that can probably take it. And it mostly does. 

It has that... 'my first horror movie' vibe crossed with some fantasy stuff, which Raimi can do in his sleep, and it works for Dr Strange. Fundamentally Strange stories are often **** weird. And so is this.

Not without problems though. It's... messy. The story and the concept are too big for a single film. It follows on from WandaVision, but Things Have Happened that we just have to go with. And the multiverse stuff is too big to deal with without it feeling wasted or underutilised. As a result we have a story that somewhat comes out of nowhere, it's big gimmick is a let down, and the film noticeably jumps from set piece to set piece.

On the plus side, the story has some weight (despite basically revolving around a Macguffin with shoes), the film has a lot of fun with the stuff it sets up, and there's some decent performances and imagery.

Spoiler

Dead Strange was great.

The Illuminati was fun and Elfman using the X-Men cartoon theme on Xavier's introduction was superb.

Very much liked the 'dead' Sanctum Sanctorum lobby with that great stairway to heaven imagery.

It's a solid film.

10 minutes ago, sne said:

So do you have to watch the Wanda-Vision show to get anything out of the Dr Strange flick?

I would recommend watching it anyway tbf. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but I found it's ambition as a TV series to be staggering. 

• Like 2

I didnt watch wanda vision before watching dr strange tbh. I dont think it makes much difference 

Spoiler

My only thing wrong with dr strange was how powerful scarlett witch was. This version of scarlett witch would beat thanos easy

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

I would recommend watching it anyway tbf. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but I found it's ambition as a TV series to be staggering. 

Na, it's not for me, just like the other Disney shows. Don't really care what the lesser heroes do on their days off.

I mainly do the big movies as a bit of mindless fun on a rainy day. Look at the pretty colours, the sky beam and the disposable cgi armies :D 

Just wondering if you are totally lost if you haven't watched it because then I will skip Dr Strange as well.

8 minutes ago, sne said:

Na, it's not for me, just like the other Disney shows. Don't really care what the lesser heroes do on their days off.

I mainly do the big movies as a bit of mindless fun on a rainy day. Look at the pretty colours, the sky beam and the disposable cgi armies :D 

Just wondering if you are totally lost if you haven't watched it because then I will skip Dr Strange as well.

After the first episode, maybe the first two, Wandavision does everything you describe pretty much, but imo better than the films (ok, no cgi armies, but there is cgi fighting). It has more room to breathe. It's better than any Dr Strange film for sure!

1 minute ago, Rolta said:

After the first episode, maybe the first two, Wandavision does everything you describe pretty much, but imo better than the films (ok, no cgi armies, but there is cgi fighting). It has more room to breathe. It's better than any Dr Strange film for sure!

Seen the premise and some youtube spoofs, not for me. Just like the other shows. I did manage 2 eps of Moon Knight but that's it. 

11 minutes ago, sne said:

I'm kind of with you in that I've not been able to get on board with the TV stuff. I kind of only really engage with the movies, and even then I'm struggling to pick up again after Endgame because the arc was just so perfect. That said, I also agree with the other poster, as I did watch WV and I thought it was great. The first episodes almost intentionally slow and reverent, but then the cracks start appearing. 

I missed Dr Strange 2 at the Cinema, so I'm looking forward to it. I'll watch it tonight after the kids are abed.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sne said:

Seen the premise and some youtube spoofs, not for me. Just like the other shows. I did manage 2 eps of Moon Knight but that's it. 

Each to their own. I should say thought that Moon Knight is the worst show so far. It's terrible. I couldn't stand it. And Wandavision quickly moves on from its opening premise. The sitcom thing is only really dominant at the very start and it soon becomes pure popcorn cinematic entertainment. I had Jurassic Park vibes at times when watching it.

Wandavision, Loki and Hawkeye were as good as any of the films—they're right up there with the best things in the MCU. Falcon and Winter Soldier had its moments, but was ultimately just about average. And yeah Moon Knight I'd rather remove from my memory.

Edited by Rolta
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

I'm kind of with you in that I've not been able to get on board with the TV stuff. I kind of only really engage with the movies, and even then I'm struggling to pick up again after Endgame because the arc was just so perfect. That said, I also agree with the other poster, as I did watch WV and I thought it was great. The first episodes almost intentionally slow and reverent, but then the cracks start appearing. 

I missed Dr Strange 2 at the Cinema, so I'm looking forward to it. I'll watch it tonight after the kids are abed.

Only new stuff I've watched is the Spiderman movie and didn't much care for that one. Endgame was a good point to end it and step off.

I get it's a fantastic formula and Disney are making crazy money but I'm just not interested in their stuff. Marvel or Star Wars.

Â