Marvel Cinematic Universe

mikeyp102

The biggest problem is not the storylines, it's the retention of the actors and the characters they portrayed. The big hitters the movies have hung on, with the exception of Thor, have all moved on. Iron Man, Captain America, Black Widow, Spider-Man (it's believed Tom Holland won't be returning), have all gone. Unless they recast them (like I expected them to hint at in Dr Strange MoM), the big Marvel characters are out.

Just like between Bond films with different Bonds, they need to go away for a while and come back with new actors and a new story to tell. How can we miss them if they won't go away?

12 minutes ago, ender4 said:

I don't know if the global box office for phase 4 films is good or bad compared to what Disney would have wanted, but seems lower than previous phases (except for Spiderman obviously):

Black Widow - $380m

Shang Chi - $432m

Eternals - $432m

Spiderman No Way Home - $1,886

Dr Strange 2 - $995m

Thor 4 - $510m

Bearing in mind those are all COVID affected to some extent, and in the case of Black Widow had a simultaneous streaming release, those aren't far off the figures a lot of their output was bringing in. Only the big event films took the billions, the stuff in between always took far less.

7 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Bearing in mind those are all COVID affected to some extent, and in the case of Black Widow had a simultaneous streaming release, those aren't far off the figures a lot of their output was bringing in. Only the big event films took the billions, the stuff in between always took far less.

oh true, i forgot that Covid depressed the cinema box office!

14 minutes ago, Jonesy7211 said:

Unless they recast them (like I expected them to hint at in Dr Strange MoM), the big Marvel characters are out.

I haven't read anything about any films or characters, but when i watched Dr Strange 2 i just assumed that the new main girl was the replacement for Captain America, seeing her name was America!  

Is that not right? In which case, stupid name!!

3 minutes ago, ender4 said:

I haven't read anything about any films or characters, but when i watched Dr Strange 2 i just assumed that the new main girl was the replacement for Captain America, seeing her name was America!  

Is that not right? In which case, stupid name!!

No. The new Captain America is following the comics by giving the mantle to Sam Wilson, the Falcon.

America Chavez is a sorcerer.

For me  one of the big issues is the introduction of time travel and multiverse stuff. I generally hate it and in this case it means that nothing really matters and that  anyone and anything can be retconned or brought back. 

It excuses poor writing and means the stakes are so low that I fail to see the point apart from a visual spectacle.

Obviously I'm not the target audience here and since I don't know these new characters they are introducing now I don't really have the interest in investing my time since I don't feel Disney are doing a very good job at introducing them. Iron Man, the Hulk, Spider Man, Thor, Fantastic 4, the X-Men and a bunch of villains I remember from when I was a kid. The Eternals? gtfo :D 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, ender4 said:

I don't know if the global box office for phase 4 films is good or bad compared to what Disney would have wanted, but seems lower than previous phases (except for Spiderman obviously):

Black Widow - $380m

Shang Chi - $432m

Eternals - $432m

Spiderman No Way Home - $1,886

Dr Strange 2 - $995m

Thor 4 - $510m

I'd actually forgotten that two of these had even come out (Shang Chi and Eternals). That's the major issue for me right now (with 4 shows out already too?), there's just too much out there and I feel like Disney are just trying to milk every possible penny out of it all. 

48 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

I'd actually forgotten that two of these had even come out (Shang Chi and Eternals). That's the major issue for me right now (with 4 shows out already too?), there's just too much out there and I feel like Disney are just trying to milk every possible penny out of it all. 

I think more films came out in 2021-22 because no films came out during 2020 because of Covid so they are catching up to their original schedule.

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

I think more films came out in 2021-22 because no films came out during 2020 because of Covid so they are catching up to their original schedule.

That's a fair point but then you add in the four (or was there more?) shows at what 6 episodes at 45 minutes long or so each. That's like another 10 or 12 movies worth of MCU in terms of time commitment. 

16 hours ago, sne said:

For me  one of the big issues is the introduction of time travel and multiverse stuff. I generally hate it and in this case it means that nothing really matters and that  anyone and anything can be retconned or brought back. 

It excuses poor writing and means the stakes are so low that I fail to see the point apart from a visual spectacle.

Obviously I'm not the target audience here and since I don't know these new characters they are introducing now I don't really have the interest in investing my time since I don't feel Disney are doing a very good job at introducing them. Iron Man, the Hulk, Spider Man, Thor, Fantastic 4, the X-Men and a bunch of villains I remember from when I was a kid. The Eternals? gtfo :D 

Yep, I'm out. Since Kang was mentioned I had a quick look into who/what that is:

"Kang the Conqueror: A time-traveling entity, several alternate versions of Kang have appeared throughout Marvel Comics titles over the years, including his respective future and past heroic selves"

**** that

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

She hulk looks absolutely **** terrible

I agree.  I think the latest Thor movie has put me off Marvel for a short period of time because trying to be too funny at the expense of the film and this looks the same. I’ll obviously watch it and hopefully be in a better frame of mind for it and hopefully the film delivers as well.

Â