Marvel Cinematic Universe

mikeyp102

38 minutes ago, sne said:

So do you have to watch the Wanda-Vision show to get anything out of the Dr Strange flick?

You don't have to have watched WandaVision, but it would help in contextualising things.

Dr Strange 2 takes place after the WandaVision series and the... outcome... of the series is important to the story of Dr Strange 2. You are given a bit of a leg up but it's very, very, very minor and to a totally new viewer will have them go 'WTF?'.

At least read a synopsis of WandaVision.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, sne said:

Only new stuff I've watched is the Spiderman movie and didn't much care for that one. Endgame was a good point to end it and step off.

I get it's a fantastic formula and Disney are making crazy money but I'm just not interested in their stuff. Marvel or Star Wars.

Oof, Star Wars. 

I am in the minority of 1 human in earth who really liked the Last Jedi, but I couldn't finish the Rise of Skywalker. Appalling film.

6 minutes ago, Chindie said:

:(

Moon Knight hatred.

:(

Spoiler

It was so bad. Watching it was like banging my head against the wall, which is also what I felt like doing whenever I heard or saw Stephen! For me, he was the most irritating character in the MCU—along with his Mr. Night too. And the show was oddly paced. I find the 'it's all happening in the character's mind' trope irritating at the best of times, but 2/3 episodes in that mental hospital was not enjoyable. Outside of that, everything was very underwhelming and I think after too long in the mental hospital all sense of climax felt a bit flat. Also, Moon Knight was barely in it! He probably appeared three times in the show—the rest of the time we just annoyingly cut to 'afterwards'. I get that some of that might have been linked to the twist at the end, but it didn't make the show very interesting.

TBH, I was Ok with the first couple of episodes (but I still found Stephen annoying) but from the third episode I felt it was pretty unwatchable.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Oof, Star Wars. 

I am in the minority of 1 human in earth who really liked the Last Jedi, but I couldn't finish the Rise of Skywalker. Appalling film.

You are indeed the ONLY person on the planet Earth who liked Last Jedi..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stuart_75 said:

You are indeed the ONLY person on the planet Earth who liked Last Jedi..

I thought it was better than the bulls**t macguffin hunt that was Rise of Skywalker.

2 hours ago, Chindie said:

You don't have to have watched WandaVision, but it would help in contextualising things.

Dr Strange 2 takes place after the WandaVision series and the... outcome... of the series is important to the story of Dr Strange 2. You are given a bit of a leg up but it's very, very, very minor and to a totally new viewer will have them go 'WTF?'.

At least read a synopsis of WandaVision.

I did just that, I didn't finish Wanda vision as I thought it's a contender for worst TV show of all time, I did however watch something on YouTube whick explained enough to get by - but even then there's one hell of a jump and Wanda in general is a flawed character in the film 

32 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

I thought it was better than the bulls**t macguffin hunt that was Rise of Skywalker.

It's a tough call for me, both are terrible. I really enjoyed TFA when it was released but on a second viewing a few years later, its a bit naff. 

Just now, stuart_75 said:

It's a tough call for me, both are terrible. I really enjoyed TFA when it was released but on a second viewing a few years later, its a bit naff. 

There is a thing in a place, and we need to go and get the thing and take it to a place.....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

TFA was safe, very safe, and people liked it because it was essentially identical to episode 4. I mean the plot beats are EXACTLY THE SAME. 

TLJ took some risks with the plot.....so everyone hated it because entitled fan pressure really just demanded Empire with a new name. Except they would have hated that more, because it would have been EXACTLY THE SAME.

So because of said fan pressure (literally the worst thing to ever happen to the creative arts), they went even more safe for the final episode to the point that they were sh*t scared to even have a plot because it would offend someone, who made up a plot in their head anyway. 

Absolute tosh, and case in point for NEVER remaking anything. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I did just that, I didn't finish Wanda vision as I thought it's a contender for worst TV show of all time, I did however watch something on YouTube whick explained enough to get by - but even then there's one hell of a jump and Wanda in general is a flawed character in the film 

I appreciate that it's not for everyone, but might I ask at what point you jumped ship on Wanda Vision? I ask, because really the early episodes are almost intentionally banal, and the later ones ramp up the action and tension. 

As an aside, I'd never really thought of Elizabeth Olsen as a good actor beforehand, but I thought she played the tragic/abusive backstory incredibly well. I have heard though that much of that goes out of the window in the new Dr Strange, but I've tried to avoid spoilers. 

28 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

TLJ took some risks with the plot.....so everyone hated it because entitled fan pressure really just demanded Empire with a new name. Except they would have hated that more, because it would have been EXACTLY THE SAME.

I couldn't disagree more. TLJ is a shit film and not for any of the reasons you've mentioned. It's so bad I can't be bothered going through the multiple reasons I think that film is stupid, off-tone, how it doesn't do any of the characters justice, how half the plot doesn't go anywhere, how it doesn't build on anything and instead just throws its toys out of the pram. There doesn't have to be a 'well you just want Empire again' explanation. I wanted something original—but TLJ is just a pathetic, pretty obnoxious excuse at trying to be original.

The other two are also shit. I dislike them all equally but for their own unique reasons. I can't believe those three films managed to do such a huge span of different things terribly. In many ways ROS is the worst one, but then TLJ is in other ways. It's probably more 'competent' in some important ways I guess. At least it slightly appears to be a film, whole TFA and moreso ROS are just stupid theme park rides.

There was a better option to what they did with these films: get writers who know how to write to form a new, original trilogy that builds to an actual climax.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

I appreciate that it's not for everyone, but might I ask at what point you jumped ship on Wanda Vision? I ask, because really the early episodes are almost intentionally banal, and the later ones ramp up the action and tension. 

As an aside, I'd never really thought of Elizabeth Olsen as a good actor beforehand, but I thought she played the tragic/abusive backstory incredibly well. I have heard though that much of that goes out of the window in the new Dr Strange, but I've tried to avoid spoilers. 

I appreciated the cleverness and idea of the early episodes but i didn't enjoy them, it got better as it got "older" with the 00s episode being good but I general I wasn't overly enjoying it, didn't like most of the stuff inside the wandavision or the jovial nature of some bits of it, tonally it wasn't for me

And then this happened... 

Spoiler

Get the **** out of it, that's utter garbage 

Turned it off and never went back

1 minute ago, Rolta said:

I couldn't disagree more. TLJ is a shit film and not for any of the reasons you've mentioned. It's so bad I can't be bothered going through the multiple reasons I think that film is stupid, off-tone, how it doesn't do any of the characters justice, how half the plot doesn't go anywhere, how it doesn't build on anything and instead just throws its toys out of the pram. There doesn't have to be a 'well you just want Empire again' explanation. I wanted something original—but TLJ is just a pathetic, pretty obnoxious excuse at trying to be original.

The other two are also shit. I dislike them all equally but for their own unique reasons. I can't believe those three films managed to do such a huge span of different things terribly. In many ways ROS is the worst one, but then TLJ is in other ways. It's probably more 'competent' in some important ways I guess. At least it slightly appears to be a film, whole TFA and moreso ROS are just stupid theme park rides.

There was a better option to what they did with these films: get writers who know how to write to form a new, original trilogy that builds to an actual climax.

I didn't say that TLJ wasn't shit, I just said that I quite liked it (largely the visual element), and that it wasn't safe. And I pretty much agree with your other points, although I maintain that in absolutely no way did the fans (for the most part, although I appreciate you may not be an example of this) want originality from the series. It was pure nostalgia, and I think you hit it on the head there- a theme park ride. To some degree, that's what JJ Abrams does, although I have enjoyed a number of his films in the past, notably MI3, which I think is about the best one of that series.  

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I appreciated the cleverness and idea of the early episodes but i didn't enjoy them, it got better as it got "older" with the 00s episode being good but I general I wasn't overly enjoying it, didn't like most of the stuff inside the wandavision or the jovial nature of some bits of it, tonally it wasn't for me

And then this happened... 

Get the **** out of it, that's utter garbage 

Turned it off and never went back

Meta, innit. 

The upcoming movies in Phase 4 are Thor 4, Black Panther 2, Antman 3, Guardians 3, the Marvels and maybe Fantastic 4.

Further out there's Blade, a new Cap America film, Thunderbolts, Shang-chi 2, a new Deadpool and an X-Men film. But those all are very early stages.

There will be another event team up, they introduced Kang as the big threat and he will be fully set up in Antman 3, but they need to establish the team and go through the build up first. I also think they might try to have multiple teams this time, not just Avengers. They seem to be playing with 2 fields in the series at the moment, one the multiverse stuff and the other leaning into whacky mystical stuff (which they will continue to build on since it appears to be an open secret they're doing a Werewolf by Night special for Halloween).

18 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Have the revealed whether we are getting another avengers a film? Obviously at the end of end game it would ahve to be a new avengers type film but its gone all quiet

No

From the phase 4 presentation there's thor, the marvels, black panther 2, ant man, guardians 3, blade and fantastic 4 left to go

Then TV its she hulk, a guardians Xmas special, Iron heart, armour wars and secret invasion 

Chindie will know more than me but secret invasion should be a big event and tie everything together 

Finally watched Multiverse of Madness. Got to he honest I'm somewhat disappointed and glad I didn't spend a fortune to see it in the cinema. 

Spoiler

The bit where he fights himself with music might just be the most pretentious and stupid scene I've ever seen. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Â