Marvel Cinematic Universe

mikeyp102

Can I ask, what makes the fantastic four so good? I’ve seen the previous films (which I know have been criticised), but I’ve never found the characters that interesting, especially Reed, who just comes across as obnoxious 

1 hour ago, mikeyp102 said:

Can I ask, what makes the fantastic four so good? I’ve seen the previous films (which I know have been criticised), but I’ve never found the characters that interesting, especially Reed, who just comes across as obnoxious 

It's a few things.

They're a foundational group. The original team up superhero comic. And the characters were all pretty well done, they have well developed personalities and their relationships are interesting and help create good narratives with depth as they are a true family unit (i.e. Reed has been everything from the classic father figure in a 60s context to a sinister near megalomaniac with all the things between and all the impacts that would have on his family relationships). They also have a ridiculously good foe roster with a few that are true universe spanning threats.

They are a bit daft as characters in their purest form, they were born of a 60s desire to sell a family superhero team to kids and that feels a bit naff in the modern context, but you can still do very interesting things with them and they remain very important. In recent years the run by Hickman on Fantastic 4 was one of the most lauded of any Marvel comic and went to very dark and hugely impactful places for the entire Marvel universe, but was founded on the basis of those characters that goes right back to the 60s.

Whether a movie can truly do that... Who knows.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

It's a few things.

They're a foundational group. The original team up superhero comic. And the characters were all pretty well done, they have well developed personalities and their relationships are interesting and help create good narratives with depth as they are a true family unit (i.e. Reed has been everything from the classic father figure in a 60s context to a sinister near megalomaniac with all the things between and all the impacts that would have on his family relationships). They also have a ridiculously good foe roster with a few that are true universe spanning threats.

They are a bit daft as characters in their purest form, they were born of a 60s desire to sell a family superhero team to kids and that feels a bit naff in the modern context, but you can still do very interesting things with them and they remain very important. In recent years the run by Hickman on Fantastic 4 was one of the most lauded of any Marvel comic and went to very dark and hugely impactful places for the entire Marvel universe, but was founded on the basis of those characters that goes right back to the 60s.

Whether a movie can truly do that... Who knows.

Dr Doom is their only saviour at this point, worth a F4 alone for it? Dunno but they have to nail him even if the 4 fall short 

Without knowing a whole lot of depth about the characters and liking the actors it feels miscast to me, not sure why

Love the F4. Was the first superhero comic I got into as a kid. 

The films of the last few years have been middling so fingers crossed for this one. 

38 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Dr Doom is their only saviour at this point, worth a F4 alone for it? Dunno but they have to nail him even if the 4 fall short 

Without knowing a whole lot of depth about the characters and liking the actors it feels miscast to me, not sure why

Doom is one the best villains Marvel has, and he's intrinsically linked with the F4... That bit of casting needs to be bang on.

As for the F4 cast themselves... I like Pascal a lot but he's not Richards for me. He's that slight bit too old. Richards should be that little bit more mature than the rest, but Pascal is knocking on for 50. I also don't think the type of character Richards is is who you'd go to Pascal for, he's the slightly nerdy super scientist who is also a bit of a father figure, Pascal can do father figures but he does tough 'normal guys', not extremely capable nerd 'thought leaders'.

Vanessa Kirby, meh. She's a solid actress but Sue Storm anyone could play, Kirby feels like Marvel's classic 'get someone who isn't a name yet that fits the bill'.

Joseph Quinn is a good shout for the Human Torch.

Ebon Moss-Bachrach is a very good actor and could have a lot of fun playing the Thing, he is  the pick of the characters in the F4 and will be the big comic relief character and probably a fan favourite if they nail his scenes.

Casting Doom though, that's where they really need to nail it. Doom is a very particular character and you can't just punt out a generic villain performance, there's more to him than that. You have to believe that this man is genuinely a world ending threat, and that he's the most capable guy in the room at any moment.

• Like 2

Doom is a really interesting piece of casting.

On one hand I'd like to see a more seasoned older actor with the requisite amount of gravitas and measured menace. On the other hand a younger, more deranged, unbalanced Doom would be perfect for some of the superb new talent we have knocking about at the moment.

Maybe even someone who could successfully straddle both groups like the excellent Sam Claflin. He'd absolutely smash it out the park imo.

The ultimate fancast for Doom was always Mads Mikkelsen for me. But they used him for a bad one and done villain already and he's probably too old and I don't think Marvel would use him for a long running villain anyway.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Â