Marvel Cinematic Universe

mikeyp102

Watched Thor 4.

I enjoyed it but was left feeling there's a better film that could have been made from the ingredients here.

It chucks so many gags and 'bits' at you that inevitably a bunch miss... But there's so many that some will most likely get you. I enjoyed the jealousy stuff, Jane Fonda/Josie Foster, a few other bits, but felt others were noticeably flat - the am -dram that isn't funny this time, it does the goat thing too much. 

But the fact it tries to be funny in absolutely every moment kinda undermines it all. The film suffers because it chooses to throw 7 more gags over a couple of plot it character scenes. The 2 stories here are both good and dramatically satisfying, but they're like half plots - a significant part of Jane's plot is introduced in the third act and basically shuttered 2 minutes later, for instance. Bale is completely under used - the film basically decides his plot is simply a set up for an antagonist and then abandons it until the end. He has fun in the role and bizarrely creepy at times, but he's barely in the film.

The other problem I think, and it comes across more in the first half, is it almost felt to me like the comedy was contemptuous of the whole thing - the opening monologue takes the piss out of Thor's story (which is also rubbished by making Thor a pure comedy character now), New Asgard has the am-dram performance mocking the previous film and fans, and minor sight gags like an ice cream shop called 'Infinity Cones' seems to read as a jab of the commercial nature of the franchise.

Saying all that I did enjoy it. It is funny, it has good performances, the action is fine, the GnR thing works for me, and although the end is a bit... shit... the ride to get there is fun. But definitely could have been better.

• Like 2

No surprise here but Thor Love and Thunder really wasn't for me. 

Guess you can give em credit, it takes balls to do a comedy aimed at kids about stage 4 cancer, mass murder and child kidnapping but the endless attempts at jokes got tiresome really fast. This Taika Waititi brand of comedy isn't my jam anymore, it's too repetitive now. He's done some other really good stuff thou.

It's quite a lot of the Marvel stuff I have not watched but this was one of the worst I have seen. 5/10 maybe. No football really sucks.

Edit: This is one of their best in recent times

Edited by sne

15 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Agree with most of the comments on Thor, nice easy casual watch with a fair few chuckles but it can’t really be classed as a good film.

I need to watch Eternals still but I think thats meant to be bang average too isn’t it? 

Yeah eternals is perfectly OK at best, rushed a bit pointless and marvel feeling too bloated at worst

whereas say guardians of the galaxy was them branching off and it was such a good different film it was brilliant the eternals is almost the opposite of that, its hard to care for any of it 

57 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Agree with most of the comments on Thor, nice easy casual watch with a fair few chuckles but it can’t really be classed as a good film.

I need to watch Eternals still but I think thats meant to be bang average too isn’t it? 

Eternals is a mess. There's good things about it but it tries to introduce a bunch of new characters at the same time, together with a lot of big concepts and a full on plot, in one movie. And some of the acting is crap. And the plot is a bit rubbish. It has some nice cinematography then and some of the ideas are fun. But it's a mess.

I do miss the seriousness of Thor which came across in the first film. That’s so far gone now though. However saying that if they are going to keep running his storyline alongside GOTG then there really is only one way it can go - comedy. Hemsworth is great at it though. It’s just I prefer Thor to be like he was at the beginning. 

One thing I hate about the films, is when the protagonist spends their time on a dark planet with nothing else around it, in some massive structure. They keep doing it over and over again (it’s not just marvel to be fair, look where the final battle of Star Wars 9 was). Annoys the hell out of me. 

Edited by Tayls

I still think the black and white sequence (With Bale) in Thor:Love and Thunder was one of the best things Marvel have done recently. Really effective but unfortunately didn't fit with the feel of the rest of the film.

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 1

I'm gunna go and take a look to see exactly what MCU films I haven't seen 

I know I lost a shed load of interest after End Game

Captain Marvel

captain marvel
black widow
shang chi
Eternals
Doc Strange multiverse
Thor L&T

Out of the Series on Disney the only one I have watched is Wandavision...well I watched the Netflix ones as well and I guess the door is open for them to be in the same universe now with Matt Murdock being in Spiderman...was it Spiderman that he was in? 

I thought there were more films that I hadn't seen, the only 2 that I would potentially watch out of that list is Shang Chi and Thor.

8 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

Captain Marvel

captain marvel
black widow
shang chi
Eternals
Doc Strange multiverse
Thor L&T

Out of the Series on Disney the only one I have watched is Wandavision...well I watched the Netflix ones as well and I guess the door is open for them to be in the same universe now with Matt Murdock being in Spiderman...was it Spiderman that he was in? 

I thought there were more films that I hadn't seen, the only 2 that I would potentially watch out of that list is Shang Chi and Thor.

I think you would enjoy Multiverse as a Raimi fan.

I thought it was great fun.

18 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

Captain Marvel

captain marvel
black widow
shang chi
Eternals
Doc Strange multiverse
Thor L&T

Shang Chi is well worth watching. A very good, entertaining introduction to a new character. 

Â