New Manager Speculation

maqroll

3 minutes ago, MikeAVFC said:

He's not necessarily my first choice, but the idea that Brentford are doing well despite Smith is total nonsense. Don't get me wrong, I'd have preferred an Henry/Fonseca/Quiche Flores to be appointed and sure, Dean Smith is part of a system in place at the club but he still has to make it happen. The manager there before him in the same role was a disaster. The man still has to coach the players to a system and get the best out of what he has at his disposal on limited resources. Maybe he's not a lot of people's first choice but I feel some are doing the man a disservice. If it is to be him then I'd be relatively okay with it tbh although it still wouldn't surprise me if it's someone that nobody's even mentioned yet. One thing for sure, it can hardly be any worse than what we've had to watch for the last few weeks especially, regardless of who we appoint. 

Exactly where i'm at.

• Like 2

It pains me to say this but it seems that Deadly Doug was more clued up than any owner we've had since!  He seemed to be better organized and more decisive than any of our owners since!  Moreover, he managed to get us (in the main) reasonably good managers who, at least,  won us some silverware and kept us financially sound whilst doing so!

It's clear that we don't do 'forward planning' anymore!...no wonder that we are in such a mess both on and off the pitch!

Just saying!

• Like 2

I have to be honest I don't watch Brentford and know only odds and sods about DS - but if he's a modern progressive manager who can set a team up properly - with JT as his assistant - well it may not be Va-va-voom - but it's probably quite a sensible way forwards. Could work. Just don't make me wanna go phwoooooooaaaaaaarrrrrr! 

Plus nobody can say he doesn't get Villa - as a fan he will know it better than any other candidate, so that could be very effective. 

Edited by Jareth
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, MikeAVFC said:

He's not necessarily my first choice, but the idea that Brentford are doing well despite Smith is total nonsense. Don't get me wrong, I'd have preferred an Henry/Fonseca/Quiche Flores to be appointed and sure, Dean Smith is part of a system in place at the club but he still has to make it happen. The manager there before him in the same role was a disaster. The man still has to coach the players to a system and get the best out of what he has at his disposal on limited resources. Maybe he's not a lot of people's first choice but I feel some are doing the man a disservice. If it is to be him then I'd be relatively okay with it tbh although it still wouldn't surprise me if it's someone that nobody's even mentioned yet. One thing for sure, it can hardly be any worse than what we've had to watch for the last few weeks especially, regardless of who we appoint. 

Hang on let me see if I’ve understood you right ........it seems you are basically saying that Smith probably has merits, as do other Managers ? 

Careful that sort of common sense reasoning might catch on !

• Like 1

Just now, westholmevillan said:

It pains me to say this but it seems that Deadly Doug was more clued up than any owner we've had since!  He seemed to be better organized and more decisive than any of our owners since!  Moreover, he managed to get us (in the main) reasonably good managers who, at least,  won us some silverware and kept us financially sound whilst doing so!

It's clear that we don't do 'forward planning' anymore!...no wonder that we are in such a mess both on and off the pitch!

Just saying!

Another one....!

Clear from what !!?

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I still don’t really understand this system thing. Firstly did he have it at Walsall?

Secondly why can’t we replicate it?

And thirdly if it’s all down to this system and it can’t be replicated, is Smith going to spend his entire career at Brentford?

No he didnt have it at Walsall. Yes we could replicate it but thats the DOF and entire backroom staff that needs to be driving it not the manager. Thirdly I have no idea about Dean Smiths career plans, not our problem, I hope. 

His win rate at Brentford is 39% Steve Bruce's win rate with us in the same league is 45%. So yeah, I dont see why I should get excited at all about him.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 1

I work with quite a few Brentford fans, and in a nutshell, they're shitting themselves that we come in for Dean Smith, they really do hold him in high regard, I'll have to check with them about the backroom staff being so integral to his plans.

44 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

To be honest i think smith would struggle with JT.  As i think JT is a big charchter and smith doesn't seem like someone who could control JT. I might be wrong but he comes across smith as abit soft.

I have a feeling brentford wont give us permission anyway tbh. I think we will now and up giving it to terry

The other thing i would say is I don't expect JT to be a number 2 for long I think someone would come in for him eventually 

See I think the opposite. He's a big character but he's super professional and I think having him there would really help Smith to implement his ideas. The likes of Grealish, Bolasie etc are big players and simply aren't going to bust a gut for someone like Smith unless he's got someone like Terry behind him.

We've got big ego's in the team and it takes a big personality to bring them all in line. I don't think Smith could handle it, but the players will play for Terry, and if he's there backing up everything Dean Smith says on the training ground it could be a match made in heaven. 

On Smith as well. Just so everyone understands and the ridiculous straw man arguments can stop. He is a cog in the Brentford "machine", an important cog, that's doing a great job for them, but still a cog, just like Scott Hogan was a cog in their team. It doesn't mean he can't succeed anywhere else, it doesn't mean he won't succeed anywhere else. It just means his job is made a lot easier due to the infrastructure they have in place. To replicate his success for us would be far more difficult than it is for him there. It doesn't mean he can't, it doesn't mean he won't, just that it's far from a guarantee that he will, hence people's reservations about him. 

He's clearly a good coach, but he is (in my opinion) as much of a risk as any of the other names mentioned, however with someone like Terry alongside him I personally think it could work 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, John said:

I think Dean Smith might find it difficult to be number one with someone of JT's profile working alongside him. I'm sure I read somewhere that Paraguay's  manager Juan Carlos Osorio who managed Mexico at the World Cup would be ready to jump ship for us. If we can't get Faria perhaps Ranieri would work alongside JT?  

We will be speaking to Mad Mick soon the way this is going. Lets offer Terry the job now! 

Osorio was linked a bit back but there hasn't been more speculation for him. 

What is Ranieri up to these days?