New Manager Speculation

maqroll

2 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Yep - but in most cases that would be too many cooks - maybe Brentford have had their best years and do not realise it. DS can appoint 2 assistant coaches if he wants, that's not odd, he will have a Spanish overlord presenting him with cheap foreign talent, he can work with that - he may even have John Terry on his side. It won't be the same but Brentford will miss him, because as much as folks want to belittle his role there, he was in charge of the team and that is the figure head role of the entire footballing side - it's worthy

Questionable.

1 hour ago, sheepyvillian said:

It works for Brentford, but their not a club with great expectations.  They know their limits and don't get above themselves. 

You might alternatively say they don't know their limits, and have got above themselves, and good luck to them.

Knowing your place is such a Victorian value.

3 minutes ago, Godders said:

I agree. I suspect he'll be NDA'd to the hilt though, as I expect any new manager leaving a club would be. 

Brentford appear to have a very good system that works well but I also think their reputation goes a bit over the top, as though they are doing nothing that anyone else is. These miracle workers would be snapped up by one the top clubs if that was the case. Not plying their trade at a middle of the table championship club.

• Like 2

Just now, AlwaysAVFC said:

Brentford appear to have a very good system that works well but I also think their reputation goes a bit over the top, as though they are doing nothing that anyone else is. These miracle workers would be snapped up by one the top clubs if that was the case. Not plying their trade at a middle of the table championship club.

Difference between Brentford's owners and Villa's is about £8 billion. Otherwise they both want to get as much as possible for their money. Which makes DS a choice option for them. 

If Dean Smith does get the Villa job i think I'm going to put my CV in for Brentford gig. 

Yes I'm a 39yr old slightly overweight Electrician with no management experience, but listening to some of you lot Smith does nothing but the team talks so it can't be that hard. 

Anyone got an email address for the CEO at Brentford?

13 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Ok, well who picked their team, decided tactics, adapted tactics in a game, or mentored players? 

He has the final decision on picking the team but it is discussed with who two other assistants and head of analytics.

Tactics - Rasmus Ankersen & Phil Giles know how they want Brentford to play, they have put necessary staff in place to help assist Dean Smith on the training field.

Adapted tactics.. Well a lot of Brentford Fans have been critical of his decision making whilst the game is being played

Mentored players  - I think he helps keeps the Morale up.

Edited by Reivax_Villa

Having listened to that TS chat with Simon Jordan earlier today i have to say i was quite impressed, though very concerned with what he said about us. Having been involved in a very detailed look at us, as he was part of a consortium  who were seriously considering taking us over previously, he saw our accounts and basically this managerial appointment is absolutely critical as AVFC is in a critical state. Get it wrong and if we fail to go up this season FFP will be all over us as the finances won't add up. We simply need to get promoted somehow this season or we absolutely will be the next Leeds / Forest and likely be docked points etc. It really does not bare thinking about.

The future of the club depends on this appointment.

Knowing that my thinking has changed. I did want Henry & Terry as it felt new and exciting. But now i do think we need someone who has the ability to drag this squad up somehow. Problem is i have not a clue who i would trust to do that. I like the idea of Terry being involved as assistant as he knows the players well.... but then would that work alongside someone like Dean Smith? That's a huge gamble surely?

You could say Big Sam would be the best person for a quick short term fix and he may just be our best shot actually... But he comes over as half arsed and not really bothered. I fear his best days are behind him.

So personally i pity those in charge as this decision right here has the whole future of the club riding on it.

Scary.

31 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Goodness he was Walsall's first team coach just 3 years ago, an you think now he has had a few average seasons with Brentford he is ready for AVFC??? 

Football is not a normal career path.  There are cases of people whose first managerial job is a Champions League club, and big names who fail in lower leagues.

His previous employment, in terms of the names of clubs he's worked for, is neither a qualification nor a disqualification - it's what he's achieved and can achieve that matters, and that is the basis on which I hope he will be judged.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, New_Hope said:

You mean  'Moneyball' approach?? If only we'd tried that! Oh wait! :)

To be fair, we try everything under the wrong circumstances, it's either right players, wrong manager, wrong manager, right players, wrong owners, right manager and players etc.

I think you will find a few of our "moneyball" buys actually went on to do VERY well at other clubs.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/bruno-lage/profil/trainer/61477

This chap Bruno Lage has come out of nowhere in the betting at 12/1, another Mendes client.

Never heard of him up till now, looks like he was previously assistant manager to carvahal at Swansea and Sheff Wednesday.

He's currently manager of Benfica's B team played six games won 4 drew 2 lost 0.

Leonardo Jardim has also entered the betting at 33/1.

Edited by AshVilla

4 minutes ago, danceoftheshamen said:

Having listened to that TS chat with Simon Jordan earlier today i have to say i was quite impressed, though very concerned with what he said about us. Having been involved in a very detailed look at us, as he was part of a consortium  who were seriously considering taking us over previously, he saw our accounts and basically this managerial appointment is absolutely critical as AVFC is in a critical state. Get it wrong and if we fail to go up this season FFP will be all over us as the finances won't add up. We simply need to get promoted somehow this season or we absolutely will be the next Leeds / Forest and likely be docked points etc. It really does not bare thinking about.

The future of the club depends on this appointment.

Knowing that my thinking has changed. I did want Henry & Terry as it felt new and exciting. But now i do think we need someone who has the ability to drag this squad up somehow. Problem is i have not a clue who i would trust to do that. I like the idea of Terry being involved as assistant as he knows the players well.... but then would that work alongside someone like Dean Smith? That's a huge gamble surely?

You could say Big Sam would be the best person for a quick short term fix and he may just be our best shot actually... But he comes over as half arsed and not really bothered. I fear his best days are behind him.

So personally i pity those in charge as this decision right here has the whole future of the club riding on it.

Scary.

I like Simon Jordan and have no intention of doubting what he's saying - we know the finances were screwed in the summer. 

The EFL tend to look favourably on new owners though, and there was a lot of talk of a deal being done based around FFP. I'm sure we will breach it, but by how much and the punishment, I'm not sure. 

Let's not forget Birmingham are in trouble for ignoring it completely. We certainly haven't done that. 

#VeryOffTopic

Edited by Sam3773
  • Like 1

Dean Smith may be well supported and advised at Brentford and perhaps without that he will be confronted with an environment and circumstance that he cannot manage here at Villa.

Personally I think it just as likely that he brings his strengths and qualities that he has developed throughout his time with Brentford and instills them into a Villa side.

He doesn't have to be the architect of the Brentford way, liken him to a builder if you like, as long as the architects plans can be read and comprehensively understood for all its practicalities, then building can go ahead smoothly.

Does the builder lose his ability to construct and actualise the project he is given just because he completes his work on one job and moves on to the next?

DS talks about understanding your opponent and being adaptable to the tests of each fixture. That to me shows understanding that our last manager did not possess.

In order to successfully plan for and then accomplish a desired result there must be knowledge appropriate to the task at hand.

There is no way Brentford achieve anything without someone who understands their philosophy and who is also competent when it comes to the methodologies of his competition in place.

No doubt each job has its own requirements and the Villa build is probably like a Victorian Mansion and the Brentford project akin to a one bedroom box apartment as far as complexity and difficulty goes. We can only pass judgement on his perceived abilities and make our predictions. From the little I know of him I would back him to get us into the top 6 from where we sit.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

I understand the sentiment, but I disagree. The top clubs need big name players and big name managers to sell shirts, get the sponsorship and endorsement deals, ensure tv time etc. While they may be able to build (eventually) a title winning side while spending less than top dollar, I can imagine there's very little appetite to do so. After all, would Pep want to manage a club who are going to be targeting young foreigners from lesser clubs, or would he rather be managing the best players money can buy? What about the fans, at home and abroad? There's no need for the top teams to do what Brentford are doing, so there's no appetite as it would be more trouble than it's worth to them. 

For lower PL clubs, survival is key. Again, there's probably very little appetite to willingly drop out of the PL and forgo the riches while the club is rebuilt. Even the risk of relegation would likely be too much to stomach. 

Like the age old adage on Wall Street "no one got sacked buying IBM", it's far easier to follow the herd, especially when there's so much at stake. 

1 minute ago, A'Villan said:

Dean Smith may be well supported and advised at Brentford and perhaps without that he will be confronted with an environment and circumstance that he cannot manage here at Villa.

Personally I think it just as likely that he brings his strengths and qualities that he has developed throughout his time with Brentford and instills them into a Villa side.

He doesn't have to be the architect of the Brentford way, liken him to a builder if you like, as long as the architects plans can be read and comprehensively understood for all its practicalities, then building can go ahead smoothly.

Does the builder lose his ability to construct and actualise the project he is given just because he completes his work on one job and moves on to the next?

DS talks about understanding your opponent and being adaptable to the tests of each fixture. That to me shows understanding that our last manager did not possess.

In order to successfully plan for and then accomplish a desired result there must be knowledge appropriate to the task at hand.

There is no way Brentford achieve anything without someone who understands their philosophy and who is also competent when it comes to the methodologies of his competition in place.

No doubt each job has its own requirements and the Villa build is probably like a Victorian Mansion and the Brentford project akin to a one bedroom box apartment as far as complexity and difficulty goes. We can only pass judgement on his perceived abilities and make our predictions. From the little I know of him I would back him to get us into the top 6 from where we sit.

Villa is like something designed by William Randolph Hurst but without the money. In the sense that it will never be completed and it is never actually thought out.