New Manager Speculation

maqroll

If one thing is certain in all this it is that I hope anyone placing bets is dealing with money they can afford to lose.

Sky Sports posted only two hours ago that Faria was still in the running.

Perhaps Henry Winter is the more informed journalist this time but I wouldn't be surprised if what eventuates is contradictory to media narratives.

Aston Villa are now seriously weighing up the possibility of pairing up Dean Smith with John Terry as the hunt for a new management team continues.

The club are still working through their shortlist and have contacted a number of candidates following Thierry Henry’s decision to reject Villa in favour of an expected move to Monaco.

Rui Faria was one of the options although sources have told us that he is not currently interested in the role.

BirminghamLive understands that Smith has now been sounded out and is now very much a front-runner.

Terry has also told friends that he will be returning to Villa in some capacity, almost certainly as the No.2 behind a new manager.

If it gets to the stage where Smith is offered the job, he must then weigh up whether he wants to work alongside Terry, who retired over the weekend after leaving Villa in the summer.

Terry has also told friends that he will be returning to Villa in some capacity, almost certainly as the No.2 behind a new manager.

If it gets to the stage where Smith is offered the job, he must then weigh up whether he wants to work alongside Terry, who retired over the weekend after leaving Villa in the summer.

Villa’s coaching team is completely bare following the mass exodus that followed Steve Bruce’s sacking.

There is, therefore, space for the new manager to bring in some of his own staff so Smith, the current Brentford manager, would also need to discuss the future of his assistant Richard O’Kelly who has worked alongside him for some time.

Villa are sticking to their plan to get a new man in before the home game with Swansea on October 20.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/revealed-manager-aston-villa-want-15263736

Took long enough for us to go after Smith

2 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

If one thing is certain in all this it is that I hope anyone placing bets is dealing with money they can afford to lose.

Sky Sports posted only two hours ago that Faria was still in the running.

Perhaps Henry Winter is the more informed journalist this time but I wouldn't be surprised if what eventuates is contradictory to media narratives.

I guarantee when the market moves a bit before an article is published that they've had a chat with a mate about what' sin the article...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Farlz said:

I guarantee whoever wrote that article knows less than any of us in this thread.

Literally no actual info in that article :D 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Czechlad said:

Basically we keep being turned away so now it's Smith's turn.

As mentioned previously, Smith is only a piece of the puzzle at Brentford. You need his staff with him. 

Pretty worrying if this is the case. The club should have already been contacting managers while Bruce was still in charge to sound out their interest. It was obvious Bruce was not going to last until Xmas. Smith just seems like a "next best option' rather than someone they actually wanted. 

2 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

As mentioned previously, Smith is only a piece of the puzzle at Brentford. You need his staff with him. 

Not this again. Any head coach/manager has staff. All of them. Bar none. 

We've just jettisoned all the old coaches and scouts, we'll be building a whole new football side of the club. It's not like we're going to be asking Smith to wash the bibs, carry the balls and cones, make the **** lunch and scout south america as well as coaching the first team is it?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

We should run a poll.

Are fans who want Dean Smith the same fans who polled to keep Bruce on in the Summer?

I bet the %'s are very close.

I don't see the connection. For a start you couldn't get more chalk and cheese managers.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

We said the same about Lambert.

4 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

We should run a poll.

Are fans who want Dean Smith the same fans who polled to keep Bruce on in the Summer?

I bet the %'s are very close.

I've been Bruce's biggest critic and wanted him gone for ages .... I've also been Smith's biggest fan! Sort that one out Anty! ?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Dean Smith just screams Paul Lambert Mk II

Just because he is young and at another club it doesn't mean he is a lambert mark 2. I don't get why people say things like this.

If it's smith I will support him 100% without comparing him to a failure like Lambert.

Smith certainly knows how to get the best out of Hogan and plays excellent attacking football 

Edited by Demitri_C
  • Like 3

Just now, markavfc40 said:

I don't see the connection. For a start you couldn't get more chalk and cheese managers.

Look at their results.  They seem to go on winning streaks, then loosing streaks and then drawing streaks.  Plus Smith has a high turn over of players every season.  This isnt just getting rid of good players so club can cash in.  Forgetting the style of play, i dont see much difference.