New Manager Speculation

maqroll

2 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

If true then yes I am sure some managers would be uncomfortable with a manager in waiting working beneath them. Most managers would also like to be making decisions in terms of their assistants and first team coaches. It would definately make some not take the job.

To be honest i think smith would struggle with JT.  As i think JT is a big charchter and smith doesn't seem like someone who could control JT. I might be wrong but he comes across smith as abit soft.

I have a feeling brentford wont give us permission anyway tbh. I think we will now and up giving it to terry

The other thing i would say is I don't expect JT to be a number 2 for long I think someone would come in for him eventually 

Edited by Demitri_C
  • Like 1

Dodged a hule bullet with Thierry Henry. The guy knows nothing about management and would bounce immediately if something bigger came along. We need to realize that the Championship is very far from being sexy enough, so we can forget many of the candidates mentioned already. It will be someone like Moyes or Allardyce, nobody else wants to go to the second tier. 

4 minutes ago, pintpotvilla said:

So it looks like we have identified 5 names

Terry
Carvahal
Bruno Lage
Rodgers
Smith

Who would we prefer?

Of those I'd say Terry would only be a #2 to someone else.  Lage would probably only be Carvalhal's #2 but I'm not sure I'd want him on his own.  I wouldn't mind either of Rodgers or Smith tbh.  Rodgers is more proven, but we also don't want to fall into the dreaded 'experience' trap either.  The reason I'm not following it moment to moment is because there'll be a lot of utter horlicks talked in the press until an announcement is made.  So I let it all play out.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Papillon said:

Dodged a hule bullet with Thierry Henry. The guy knows nothing about management and would bounce immediately if something bigger came along. We need to realize that the Championship is very far from being sexy enough, so we can forget many of the candidates mentioned already. It will be someone like Moyes or Allardyce, nobody else wants to go to the second tier. 

I dont mind alladyce tbh. I think he would definitely improve the squad. He seems to have abit of magic about getting the b2at put of what he has

1 minute ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

I find it very hard to get excited about getting Bentford's manager. I would if he was responsible for their system, but he isnt. 

I still don’t really understand this system thing. Firstly did he have it at Walsall?

Secondly why can’t we replicate it?

And thirdly if it’s all down to this system and it can’t be replicated, is Smith going to spend his entire career at Brentford?

2 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

...because we only think of the here and now and spunk money up the wall, we've been doing it for years. I thought it would stop after nearly going to the wall this summer, but here we are again.

15 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

I find it very hard to get excited about getting Bentford's manager. I would if he was responsible for their system, but he isnt. 

Do tell!?

Edited by Nigel

4 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I still don’t really understand this system thing. Firstly did he have it at Walsall?

And thirdly if it’s all down to this system and it can’t be replicated, is Smith going to spend his entire career at Brentford?

Who has left Brentford and gone on to better things?

I could be wrong but it seems that when they sell their 'star players' they seem to drop off the radar a bit

20 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Quick thought.

Does anyone feel us insisting that JT will HAVE to play a part in the Management/Coaching Team might be complicating things?

You raise a really good point, but I think that JT as an icon would possibly outweigh his initial inability to improve us, by the sheer  magnetic feel good factor that he exudes.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BOF said:

Of those I'd say Terry would only be a #2 to someone else.  Lage would probably only be Carvalhal's #2 but I'm not sure I'd want him on his own.  I wouldn't mind either of Rodgers or Smith tbh.  Rodgers is more proven, but we also don't want to fall into the dreaded 'experience' trap either.  The reason I'm not following it moment to moment is because there'll be a lot of utter horlicks talked in the press until an announcement is made.  So I let it all play out.

I quite like Carvalhal and I suspect if we are struggling to get our top target(s) right now he will be the most open to a short-term and cheaper deal, whilst making us more competitive in the mean time.  

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Didn;t he actually do an OK job at all of those? But was mostly sacked due to fans wanting more sexy football?

Well that’s what I want, no demand! Give me sexy football and give it to me now! In fact in this modern enlightened world of equal opportunity the job should go to the woman with the best legs. 

Has Jardin been fired from Monaco yet? 

Have Henry been hired at Monaco or ruled himself out of job here at Villa Park?

Or are these conclusions only based on rumours in British press?  

Smith will be a disaster unless we can convince the whole of Brentford's footballing infrastructure to come with him which is doubtful.

Not convinced by JT either yes he was a footballing icon but isn't it a bit of a big job for his first job?

The only other coaching role he's been linked with is the Chelsea U21's.

If those are the only candidates remaining that were looking at i'd be disappointed..

Edited by AshVilla

1 minute ago, AshVilla said:

Smith is going to be a disaster unless we can convince the whole of Brentford's footballing infrastructure to come with him which is doubtful.

Oooohhhhh, no ones mentioned this before...

I think Smith may as well give up management altogether.

• Haha 1